Hey guys! Curious questions about my current progress and possible yield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EsC420PoT

Hydro Indoor Grower
Reaction score
Hello all! I have been making a grow journal for the past 3 months now, and am almost near the end of the process. I currently have 2 weeks until harvest, so that means 1-1/2 month of vegg and 2-2 months and 1 week of flowering. (Will add that extra week if I feel it's just not ready yet) But, I'm getting a little worried about my yield... The quality is going to be top notch, that im sure of, they are straight covered and i mean COVERED with trichs and stinks so strong it makes me damn near high just smelling em. But, for the yield... I'm starting to get scared its not going to be what i expect... I have 10 plants and 4 diff strains, Purple urkle, Agent Orange, Dead head O.G. and White widow. They are in a 5x5x10 space under a 1k watt HPS in FF Ocean Forest Soil. temps change between 65-80. I use Super natural grow brand Grow terra and Grow blood, added with Subculture-M and Humbolt Countys Own Snow Storm Ultra. So far things are great, but I was hoping to get AT THE LEAST 12 ounces to a pound... But from the looks of it, It seems like ill be lucky to be getting an ounce per plant.. Some plants i can see have atleast and ounce but others got maybe two good sized colas, and the rest are lil shitlit nugs that look very immature despite it only being 2 weeks left.. What do you guys think? Any constructive criticism??

P.S. Sorry for the black streaks across the screen, the HPS does that to my cam :(

6-21-12  1.JPG

6-21-12  2.JPG

6-21-12  3.JPG

6-21-12  4.JPG

looking at it just by the numbers, I would say that maybe you are on the low end of the amount of light you want for that area.

a 1000 watt hps is upto 150,000 lumens i think and you want at least 5000 lumens/sq ft... so you have 25 sqft, so you need at least 125000 lumens... so maybe you just need more light?

just a thought, pretty new to growing myself!

sMACk

ya, that means i'm covering 5k per sqFt. I already did the math which is why i built a 5x5, that i was for sure getting 5k lumens per sqft. Infact I believe I'm getting more than 5k per sq. ft.

Im just sayig that you are kinda skirting the minimum. Ive also seen 50watts/sqft, and in that case you are under.

Im sure some one with better insight will chime in soon.

EsC420PoT said:
ya, that means i'm covering 5k per sqFt. I already did the math which is why i built a 5x5, that i was for sure getting 5k lumens per sqft. Infact I believe I'm getting more than 5k per sq. ft.

What most peeps don't realize is that number is the minimum amount...so like smackaddict pointed out you might need to bump your lumens to bump your yield. Common sense wld say that all things being equaled raising the lumens from the minimum to anything above minimum will in fact bump your yield. The trick is finding the spot where this is no longer true. Ventilation will become more and more important as you raise your lumens per sqr foot. More light is only more better if you can keep heat in check, otherwise you will be shooting yourself in the foot and cld actually hurt yield and waste money and electricity. Personally I like 7500 lumens a sqr foot as a number to shoot for if you can keep it cool. I grow in a 4x4 tent and first grow tried going with just a 600w HPS for flower and quickly saw that I really needed more light. I added a 400w HPS and things got better. In all honesty I think two 600w HPS' in cool tubes or vented hoods wld be the sweet spot. Will find out once I get the cash to buy another 600. Jmo

wow thanks guys. Damn, I figured a 1k watt for a 5x5 would be more than efficient... I don't think the ampage I have running this can do anymore... But damn, I'll try to bump up the light next time i guess.. Can't fund a new hps at this moment.. Thanks for the insight though, very helpful.

Cheer up bro, ALLL my grow's usually throw on the weight within the last couple weeks, Just keep on feeding them and letting em do their thing..
Could add some molasses also in with the off nute watering cycle..
JMO though.

I'd love to have a room look like that though :D lol

You could run less plants next time, reduce the space. Youll get the same yield with less work.

Looks like you dont have too much to complain about with those buds tho, looks awesome!

sMACk

I believe that these look like they have a lot longer to go than 2 weeks.....

Thank yall, and really THG? They have been flowering for 1 month and 19 days.. Sometimes i feel they should be going more, but all of the strains i have said they have a 60 day flowering period. Let me ask this, what is the USUAL Time spand for a majority of plants grown. 2or 3 months of flowering? Because maybe I got them mixed up?? I'm almost positive i got stains that flower in 60 days and the veg is up to the grower. And through out my research, I'v usually read people doing 1 month veg and 2 month flower, and then instantly switch em out and have a constant cycle of 3 months. Am i confused??

oh crap! Your right hempy! Only one of thoughs strains is 65 days. the rest have a 70-75 day flowering period! OMG! No wonder.. Well i guess thats good then! Still got like 3 weeks togo :)

Some sativas can take longer to flower. I would be happy if my first grow turns out like what you have goin on but I'm only going to run 4-6 plants in a 4'x4' space with 600w hps.

Youre only getting the lumens psq ft if the light is as near as possible to the plants as each foot away from the plants the lumen per sq ft reduces soo much you wouldnt believe it
T4

Damn good point.. I try to keep the plants as close as possible, but some other will get burned in the process.. I'm not sure, how far it is exactly, I just put it as low as possible while having my hand under it until i started to feel it to hot on my hand. So I'm confident I have it fairly close to the tops

T4B is basically telling you that the further light travels, the weaker it becomes. Subsequently, you would want to keep the light as close to the tops of your plants as they can stand.

I'll also reiterate what's been said before, that you're working around the minimum lighting standard for your grow space. I'd throw in a 400w or 600w.. either one will give you ample support to your 1000w. I'm throwing out roughly 10000 lumens per square foot, if that says anything to you. Most of the growers I've seen here, average around 7000-9000 per square foot.

=]

I started out with a 400w in a 3x5 space and yielded an ounce per plant. When I put a 1000w in the same space I started yielding 2.5 ounces per plant.

I think that you will find that these are going to bulk up alot in the next 3 weeks. And remember that breeder's estimates are on the low side usually. So a plant that is listed with a 65 day flowering period could well take 70-75.

Your grow is looking good. And, don't stress....it will be what it will be. I have found stressing over yield never helps the final number in the end and just makes me cranky.

THG is right on...when you put the expectations of yield into the equation you tend to remove all the fun of growing. I hve not busted out the digi scale to weigh my yield in many many grows. I like to concentrate on healthy happy plants that produce quality over quantity. I wld rather smoke a bowl of bud to get me where I want to be over 2 or 3 bowls of less potent bud. Jmo

damn i agree with what you all have said, and THG, good points... I guess I'll just have to keep doing what im doing and see how it turns out in the end before I even consider jumping to conclusions. Also, if i'm able to, I'll deff add another 400 atleast up in there. But i seriously doubt it will be any time soon, especially since the PG&E i could barley pay for with just the 1k watt and fans and whatnot.. But thanks all for the very very helpful info! I will for sure take everything into consideration. Thanks alot guys!

Latest posts

Back