Hey guys! Curious questions about my current progress and possible yield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in the Bay, we have an abundance of resources to choose from when we need equipment.. PM me if you need the name of places in SF where you can get 1000w magnetic ballasts for $90 out the door.. or if you want a digi, they will always work with you...

or there's always Bay Area Craigslist... farm and garden section has dozens of new listings of hydro equipment for sale daily...

here in the Bay, we are extremely lucky... other folks don't have it so nice and don't have access to C-list or Hydro shops that are so competitive with each other that they almost sell things at cost..almost

lookin' good either way..

PS..Like THG said, it's almost always 2 months for 12/12

Here is something else for you to chew on: Your plants in there are tight together to the point that you have an SOG. I have found that SOG doesn't produce as much as allowing the plants room to spread out a bit so that light penetrates to lower leaves of the plant. On the next grow I would run a couple less and allow them to get a bit bigger and spread their branches a bit. BUUT you can increase your yield on this grow by taking the top 1/3 of the plants at harvest and then leaving the plants in place another 2-3 weeks to allow the lower 2/3 to develop all those little lower buds. My partner has been doing that at the "Grow-lab" and has seen an increase in production by at least 25%. And it makes all the little worthless lower buds worth keeping. :) JMHO :)

Actually, not really a sog. A sog is small plants with pretty much a single cola growing. However, I agree that the plants are rather crowded. I think that lollipopping next time might be a good thing to try.

I personally have never had an increase yield by trimming 1/3 and then the rest. The buds mature a bit more, but never put on much more weight.

trimming 1/3 does not increase the yield---it redistributes and focuses energy to the remaining bud sites---cutting 1/3 gives you less bud sites but bigger buds at the sites that remain:hubba:

I've been doing the trim part of plant and replace to let harden trick and have not seen any real good come from it. Maybe the gals are too tired to continue, maybe I remove too much of the leaves....IDK, but the buds don't really harden much, don't get bigger and the gal merely takes up space...imhe

How well are they doing bro? Notice more swelling coming into play?! I really can't wait to see this tent this time next month :D!

More green Mojo for some truly big mofo's

might be your timing Roddy---taking ONLY 1/3 off is no doubt an incredibly stressful event---what i was taught and practice now is---trim your 1/3 same time you are taking cuts for perpetual harvest---take lowers that will only produce popcorn when the canopy is full---sometimes thin the interior for air flow depends on the growth---after the cuts are taken---give her another week or so in veg to recoup---check to see you didn't miss removing any lowers that will only produce popcorn---flip it---always have a reason you are removing a branch or leaf---not just haphazardly

Ahh, you're talking lollipopping, yeah I do that with my gals now! I thought you meant to take top 1/3 during harvest and let rest go back in to harden...my bad!!

:stoned: :stoned: i thought THGwas talking 1/3 lollipopping---but i also agree that harvesting portions of a plant have not produced the results i anticipated unless just ripening some beans a bit longer

only partial harvest when I was hard up for smoke (and no longer rob peter to pay paul) . I ALWAYS take the bottom third vegetation off (to use for clones or dispose of) to produce bigger nugs as Orange stated, redistributing energy to the stronger/bigger higher up growth....

Now with my poops and giggle grow of this Auto NLxBigBud, I trimmed nothing because Auto's are sensitive and I didn't want to shock her into droppin the wrong sex parts...

Roddy said:
I've been doing the trim part of plant and replace to let harden trick and have not seen any real good come from it. Maybe the gals are too tired to continue, maybe I remove too much of the leaves....IDK, but the buds don't really harden much, don't get bigger and the gal merely takes up space...imhe

I agree.. when I did it for a few runs, I found that harvesting the top doesn't do much for the lower buds..they still remain roughly the same size, with very little change in density... If that was an easy way to get rid of popcorn, it would be standard practice for growers.. but it aint...

give it a shot, if you want to try it.. It definitely won't hurt your yield, either way..

^^^^"We're talkin' the Dude here" narrator Big Lebowski^^^

It's interesting to hear others have not had much success with the topping trick. I have never heard of it or tried it before growing this Blueberry Punch, but it seems like to me the last couple times I did it at the "lab" that the popcorn worthless buds did increase to at least decent usable buds, which increased the yield considerably. But then again, I haven't done a side by side test to really see how much difference it makes, I could be fooling myself. :doh:

7greeneyes said:
^^^^"We're talkin' the Dude here" narrator Big Lebowski^^^

we were just laughing the other day about the scene when they dump Donnie's ashes.. hilarious..

Love that part....love the movie. It seems we all know a Dude in one form or the other...lol...

DAMN! This thread exploded over the past few days! Thank yall! And yes! I agree with less plants next time around... I dont know why i felt putting 12 would bee good, then ended up having to pull 2 out putting it down to 10. And even then, i feel maybe 6 would be just right. Next time around will will for sur eonly have 6-8, maybe less... As for the cutting the tops and letting the bottoms grow more, thats something i was actually thinking of doing, and mentioned it in my grow journal thread, but no one replied to it :( lol. Ne ways, the only delema I have with cutting the tops and letting the lower branches grow more, is simply the fact that i don't have a drying room... I was actually planning on doing the whole shabang in this 5x5 room. Meaning when the plants are done, I would clean everything out and then put up strings to dry em in there since the environment is tuned damn near perfectly. But then again, I wouldn't be able to let my WW grow longer, since the rest of the strains will be done atleast a week or 2 before my WW's... So i'm actually really contimplating what to do about that.. I was thinking of making a lil drying unit with light trapped computer fans for venilation, but I'm afraid it might not dry them as good as the 5x5 room would, and from what iv learned, drying and curing has a big part in the final potency of your crop. So i'm a little scared :(. And as for lolly popping, I have already been doing that. You can't tell because the plants are like you all said, (crammed in there) but if you see the lower parts of the plants there are only large stems with no branches or nugs at all. And yes! Bubba, they seriously have gotten alot bigger. Theres 2 Main colas on the WW's that are HUGE! I'd say atm, each of them colas is a quarter or more. and thats just the 2 on top, not including the many other smaller nugs around the plant. I also went out to resock on nutes since i ran out 2 days ago, and got some stuff called "Cool Bloom Ripening Formula" I was talking to the guy at the hydro store and expressing how i felt the plants worn't going to yield as much as i'd like. He said what everyone here said (More Light) But also, recommended these nutrients to add into the mix of what im already using. Usage is only for 1 week and a half weeks, near the last 2 1/2 weeks of flowering, then after the 1 1/2 week of using this nute, flush for the last week. He said it would not only boost the potency but would slightly inscrease the yield! Either way, I felt it couldnt hurt, And it was a bit pricey, so I hope it's worth it. If yall are curious enough to ask, I'll take a pic of this product and specify the potions of P K N they are. But other than that, thanks for the support and tips yall! Can't wait till they are done!!!

If you go around to some of the flea markets and check the local ads you may find a wardrobe cabinet that you can very easily convert to a nice drying cabinet. I built mine out of some shelving units that I closed in with plywood, cut holes in the bottom and one in the top to mount a computer fan from radio shack, took out the shelves and made a tight closing door, and wham bang, made my dryer thang. Also got some charcoal filter mesh material from the fish store and made a T-pee over the exaust to eliminate smell. It works great. I put my bud in for about 7-14 days (depending on the humidity of the air, amount to be dried) then take it out when it is starting to feel a bit crispy and put it in the wide-mouth, 1quart mason jars to cure. :)

EsC420PoT said:
DAMN! This thread exploded over the past few days! Thank yall! And yes! I agree with less plants next time around... I dont know why i felt putting 12 would bee good, then ended up having to pull 2 out putting it down to 10. And even then, i feel maybe 6 would be just right. Next time around will will for sur eonly have 6-8, maybe less... As for the cutting the tops and letting the bottoms grow more, thats something i was actually thinking of doing, and mentioned it in my grow journal thread, but no one replied to it :( lol. Ne ways, the only delema I have with cutting the tops and letting the lower branches grow more, is simply the fact that i don't have a drying room... I was actually planning on doing the whole shabang in this 5x5 room. Meaning when the plants are done, I would clean everything out and then put up strings to dry em in there since the environment is tuned damn near perfectly. But then again, I wouldn't be able to let my WW grow longer, since the rest of the strains will be done atleast a week or 2 before my WW's... So i'm actually really contimplating what to do about that.. I was thinking of making a lil drying unit with light trapped computer fans for venilation, but I'm afraid it might not dry them as good as the 5x5 room would, and from what iv learned, drying and curing has a big part in the final potency of your crop. So i'm a little scared :(. And as for lolly popping, I have already been doing that. You can't tell because the plants are like you all said, (crammed in there) but if you see the lower parts of the plants there are only large stems with no branches or nugs at all. And yes! Bubba, they seriously have gotten alot bigger. Theres 2 Main colas on the WW's that are HUGE! I'd say atm, each of them colas is a quarter or more. and thats just the 2 on top, not including the many other smaller nugs around the plant. I also went out to resock on nutes since i ran out 2 days ago, and got some stuff called "Cool Bloom Ripening Formula" I was talking to the guy at the hydro store and expressing how i felt the plants worn't going to yield as much as i'd like. He said what everyone here said (More Light) But also, recommended these nutrients to add into the mix of what im already using. Usage is only for 1 week and a half weeks, near the last 2 1/2 weeks of flowering, then after the 1 1/2 week of using this nute, flush for the last week. He said it would not only boost the potency but would slightly inscrease the yield! Either way, I felt it couldnt hurt, And it was a bit pricey, so I hope it's worth it. If yall are curious enough to ask, I'll take a pic of this product and specify the potions of P K N they are. But other than that, thanks for the support and tips yall! Can't wait till they are done!!!

If you lollipopped those, you didn't do it nearly enough. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=85015&d=1225035125 This is a Speed Queen that I grew a few years ago and lollipopped quite severely (out of necessity). I already had pulled this pic for another thread so decided to post it up as an example.

In all the years I have been growing, I really have not seen any increased yield from the "snake oil" the hydro guys peddle. I also would not flush the last week. Most of these guys are NOT growers, but all of them ARE salespeople.

Not sure how feeding the gals something for 1.5 weeks, then flushing it back out would work, seems you're not doing much for the gals. Feeding it that late into bloom doesn't sound right either, what can it possibly do that far in?

Just thoughts I had while reading.....

Latest posts

Back