Home of the Old Fart's Club part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you guys for your comments, I wish we’d had a longer time with Finny but we had good times with him. He was estimated at 10 years when he came to us but we really don’t know how old he was...he seemed to go quickly after he got sick but I guess that the nature of cancer...
@thegloman i hope your buddy pulls through!!!

Last edited:
Morning y'all
2RE I'm so sorry Finnian had to leave. I don't care who you are, these little guys climb right up in your heart.
I'm struggling with Barnys deal.
My fear is that if he is too bad Ill have to let him go too.
I don't want to put him down but I don't want him to suffer either.
Selfish I guess but I don't have much in this world and my little buddy makes me feel Rich.

Good Morning OFC...Sorry to hear about the fur babies Gman and 2RE...they may be around only briefly...but they effect us for an eternity. I have the one cat that is 16 yo now...she is till very active and in good health...the other 2 are about 8 yo.George my neutered male had a brawl with T-cat...he is stray I allow to hang around....they rarely fight anymore . Spring was buzzing so I guess they had to try each other...George can take him but T-cat is a good scrapper and may have got the best of George on that round....was mostly Georges hair on the ground.George seems to feel he was ambushed unfairly...T-cat has left for a few days( he knows George is a load)...George has actually been waiting at his hangout for him..this may not be over!....Live each day with zest...for we are here briefly as well. Peace ya'll
Edit::: George would like everyone to know he was neutered and not spayed...lmao

images (17).jpg

Last edited:
Morning OFC !-- It's dark !-- Coffee cooking - Packing a pipe !- Need an attitude adjustment !- Oh !- I remember when I hurt that - it was bad !- Yeah !- U was tough when U was young !- Now the bill comes due ?-- I don't wanna pay no more ! -- I'm sit around have coffee and smoke some weed until my attitude improves ! -- I like the way cats fight ! - They don't play !--but they gonna talk some **** before the fur flies !

Gday OFC , sorry to here about you loss 2RE , rooting for Barney Gloman , finished trimming today got 23oz STOKED Started off bad with a pump fail and two girls drying up but the new light got the rest performing and 23 off 5 was a good result for my little grow space , have a question for the old farts how dry do you have your weed , I always like to keep the buds a little moist just sticky but the missus dries them until their crispy , got to go have a bonza day guys and gals

Good morning OFC. I

I'm scratching my head on pH drops. Every day my reservoirs drop a little. I have an automatic float keeping a constant level. Tap water ppm is 100, soft naturally. Tap water pH is 7 or higher. The natural progression is as transportation takes up water, a small amount of higher pH water would be added. Contrary what should be happening, pH drops a little. When pH is below 5.8, I add a little acid, (GHs pH Up) and bring up the pH back up to 5.8. I don't want to shock the plants and am adding pH Up cautiously. My Raspberry Coughs absolutely love the mix. My AK48s have what looks like multiple nutrient issues. My guess is pH is too low for it. In a few weeks, it's done. Except for leaf color on old growth, it is blooming well so I'm scratching my head on that, too. I'm switching to different genetics too so I have another reason to trek through and move on to my next crop. One last thought is that chlorine in tap water is added too fast, overpowering the natural evaporating out of gasses. I am extremely well aerated, that should make the evaporating out of chlorine gasses rapid.

I recently increased the feed ppm. The only thing I can think of is that there is a buffered low pH in the feed that has so far overpowered the acid. I'm using GH trio with CalMagic maintaining 900ish ppm. My lights are limited still for economics. I got carried away on growing, anticipating more die offs. I ended up with too many plants doing fairly well and am too soft on culling out perfectly good plants. In the next six weeks, they will be good to harvest according to the charts.

In related news, I was checking trichrome color and saw one tiny little caterpillar type worm on the upper part of an AK. I ordered a phone plug in microscope to look more thoroughly. It was only one, and I can't find any more. Maybe bugs are hurting it and they are too small to see. 45x is where I found the one. I grow in water and lava rocks so far. I may be switching to aero spray to get rid of pest harboring issues. I'm treating the area with pyrethium and another insecticide that was premixed together. I don't want it on the plants. The insecticide stuff was left over from summer treating camping clothes for ticks. It's not meant for plants, so I'm doubly leary of the stuff on food stuff. If I can find another worm, I'll test an insecticide on it to see what works. I did a search and it looks somewhat like a rootworm but shaped wrong, and the roots look fantastic. If my camera could capture better, I would post something. I will harvest what I can, clean up the space and start over. The harvest will be big. I'm making too big a deal over one bug, but don't want it to get out of hand. My other closet is clean, BTW.

Work it Dax !-- U on the ball Cuz !-- U using EM1 ?-- Something that might help regulate your PH some is a live res !-- There's some stuff called - "Voodoo Juice" - It's an inocculate of about 45,000 kinds of beneficial bacteria - U have a culture of beneficial bacteria in your res it makes it harder for bad bacteria to get a foot hold - when I change my nute water once a month if the plants are happy and healthy I leave some of the Old nute water in the box so the refill starts with a healthy colony of beneficials !-This is called a live res . because of the live bacteria in it !-- A dead or chemical res is when U use hydrogen peroxide or such regularly to kill all bacteria in your res !-- There's also stuff U can make like Richie Rich's Compost tea --U can use to get the beneficial bacteria in a good healthy compost growing in your water !-- It's cheap to make !- Voodoo Juice is expensive but goes a long way !

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep a live res inoculated with air bacteria from my area. Aeration keeps it healthy. I initially used Hydrogrow until I figured out how keeping an excess of aeration kept bacteria healthy. It's why I have lava rocks, too. Chlorine is th bio killer. Adding only a little chlorinated water at a time let's the gasses dissapate. So theory goes. White firm roots the size of a basketball tell me that whatever is going on with the roots is healthy. My pumps have a venturi injecting air into the water on each pump circulation. Waterfalls do the same thing. I'm not sure that the healthy bacteria survive air pump temperatures, so that is only for extra aeration.

Does Voodoo juice, EM1, and Richie Riches tea work in water without clogging stuff?

Bio bucket growing is a different way of growing.

As for 88ers, I'm looking up twit filters.

Some of my family were purged in ovens by Hitler. It wasn't just Jews. I grew up anti fascist. My wife's handgun museum piece is a 9mm Luger brought back by her daddy from the Battle of the Bulge. He was part of the lost battalion, that was broken up after 80 % loss of men in the battle. They held the area until reinforcements took over, breaking that front allowing allies a path to Berlin. We learned French and traveled to France last year in his honor. My daughter learned to jump and did her first solo jump on the 75th anniversary of his jump in France. Goya girls.

Last edited:
Dax - I don't know if they could live in rock but I don't see why not ?-- I'm sure they got a proper science name but I call them "Dog Pecker Knats" - The fliers are not a problem but they lay eggs on damp soil the larvae eat your roots - You'll see every deficiency in the book - To stop them U can use diamatous sand (sp) on top your medium -- It's a sand with sharp edge cuts the soft bodied larvae up and prevents them from reaching the roots !- I perfer keeping wet and dry separate with those neopene collars !- U might want get some neoprene collars to go on top your rocks !
Keep your res covered too !- I move fresh room air thru my boxes with an aquarium air pump and stone !

Edit --stepped on your post !- Yes all that will filter and pump no problem ! -- If the pump kills some bacteria there will be plenty more where those cane from !- Keep your res under 80 degrees F !

Gloman - Barney recovered from this last time after U treated him with RSO !- He got a good chance of doing it again !- I know U worried about him as U should be but I ain't heard no fat lady sing yet ?
Yo Cuz if I make it over to bloom and take another pic of the Box of Green that I sent U a pic of the other day - U think U could post it for me - Just the one pic !-- I'm working on fixing my problem so I can post my own pics again !

Diactamous earth will chew up the plastic impellers of my pumps in weeks. I've never seen any flying bugs in the basement. My res is a constant 68°. Basement floor is a heat sink. LEDs run cool. Neoprene collars will work. I'm going to try a pyrithium mat above the rocks, too. If it paralyzes and kills ticks and mosquitoes...?

Edit add. The pH showed me how to fix it. My plant tote wasn't raised on a strong enough brace and tilted enough to drop the res to the floor. After refilling and putting new nutes in, the pH sits comfortably at 6.1. I have more nutes to add. That should slide the pH to 5.8 or so. Tomorrow, when I know that the chlorine is out, I'll add hydroguard.

Last edited:
Thanks Gloman !--
These coming up on a month into bloom !- There's 9 new little girls there been cloned and growing !-- U can spot the Pepsi can as scale !- Usually just 4-6 in one these Box of Green -- I sex these small took my clones and let them run !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back