Home of the Old Fart's Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Big pickup with 4 ft tires and smoke stacks got a yield sign and looks right at me and tries to take the right of way ! Was I supposed to be intimidated ?-- Good thing he had them big tires cause he did some off road driving !- Little Nissan wasn't giving it up ! I would have hit him !-- Long as the front end of his vehicle hits me it's his fault !-- U want the right of ?- U better be prepared to take it ! -- I hate palm trees !-- There's these bugs that live in them down here they call palmetta bugs -- A cockroach by any other name is still a cockroach !-- Long as your finger Rose and they fly !
I was in FL and staying with friends, around 1980. Orlando area, orange blossom trail. I woke up in the middle of the night to this sound of tapping on the walls. I could not figure out what it was. I turned on the light and all these giant cock roaches were walking across the walls, there must have been 100's, everywhere. Palmetta bugs! I have not seen a single 1 here in Cali.

In this land of sand, salt, snakes and mosquite they got other hidden things that bite and sting ! They got these sand colored scorpions !- Twice I have sat on one of these demons and felt their wrath ! It's like the worse wasp/ yellowjacket sting there ever was !-- When one stings U -- U can't think of any else and there's that silent all incompassing internal scream !-- Had me on my knees praying for the pain to stop !- and ya'll know I'm not the most religious person but I was begging for some relief !-- Got me again about a year later ! I miss the swamp ,alligators and the other dangers of the swamp ! If there was a scorpion in the boat and an alligator beside the boat !-- Me and the alligator bout to tangle cause I don't want to get stung by a scorpion again !

You just have to be tough to live down there. I keep singing poke salad annie. Where the alligators are so mean

U know what Rose ?-- I see right thru U !- U know more about Texas than U say !-- I even catch the scent of Longhorns sometimes when U post !- May not be U but it's real close !

I hate snakes.
I hate cockroaches, even if you call `em palmetto bugs. They still be a friggin` cockroachhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Yoop they ain't like regular cockroaches !- They'll stand and fight !-- The one that made me hurt myself had to be 3 inches long !- He flew at me and no one believes me but he hissed too !- I turn to make my escape and ran into a brick wall ! I just knew he was on me and showed the neighbors the fastest strip tease they ever saw !-- Wasn't the least bit ashamed just needed to know he wasn't on me !-- Next day I came out the garage in a biohazard suit With a pump sprayer of some illegal pesticide and we did battle !

Nights are usually long on this end, up until 3:30 - 4:00am.

I sleep well some nights but not much on others !-- We gather memories over the year's and I guess when we begin to age some of them memories we try to suppress come sneaking back in to visit !-- Made peace with most of it but there are always somethings that sneak into your thoughts !-- Other nights just can't shut the mind down !-- The wife has been taking care of conjoined twins this weekend !- Pics of some of the deformities she deals with would give anyone nightmares !-- I couldn't do it !-- Now grown ups I got no problem with - blood, guts, screaming in pain !- I can function thru without trouble !- Working on babies rips my heart out !--There were times I had no choice - dog chewed up a 2 year olds face and I had to hold him down while we did what we could to repair the damage !- The screams are always with me and there were so many things I can't forget no matter how high I get ! I do one day at a time !

At least now I can cry. I had become very calloused at work, to the point very little bothered me, except for the kids. Had one call with an unresponsive baby. Baby was sleeping with the mother. Mother was hung over. SIDS ? I doubt it, most likely was unintentionally smothered. End of story ? Not hardly. A year, year and a half later, get a call of a child hit by a car. Get there and find that the mother had pulled the child out of the street and put him in the parkway. Put the big show on, knowing it was just that. You guessed it, this mother just lost her second child. Talked with the po-po at the ER and told them my thoughts. Never heard any feedback.

Good morning giggy and the rest of the OFC. Hope this Memorial Day Monday is sunny and bright for the rest of ya, cause it`s raining here. On my second cup this morning, got my bowl now it`s wake and bake time.

raining here to bro. i talked to my mom yesterday and she said that I-10 and hwy 35 were closed due to being under water. they live on a hill but the water was up to the fence behind the house, so if it comes up another foot it will be in the house. they are down by pearsall texas and she said they were getting a break so i hope it starts going down. i have never seen the water that high there. there is a small lake (power company) next to lake conroe that the water is going over, it is a earth dam so it is trying to wash away. they had a small tornado hit houston yesterday morning as well.

Morning O.F.C. ! Happy Memorial Day !-- There's a chance the rain will remain north of us today !- Probably not ! Never seen this much rain this close together before !-- I know the dam Giggy mentioned !-- We used to snag fish below that dam ! Lake Livingston and Lake Conroe too !-

Morning O.F.C. ! Happy Memorial Day !-- There's a chance the rain will remain north of us today !- Probably not ! Never seen this much rain this close together before !-- I know the dam Giggy mentioned !-- We used to snag fish below that dam ! Lake Livingston and Lake Conroe too !-

i can't place the power company lake keef, all i know is it is beside lake conroe. the only dam i fish below was lake houston. i used to night fish for catfish on the lake side of lake livingston dam (camilla) all the time but i haven't fished in years.

yea yooper PTSD from Nam is nothing next to the fire dept. stuff. pulling the babies out of fires was the worst. but we seen it all. always first to arrive.

Agreed between combat and nursing, well I have seen it all I believe.....

G'morning, waking and baking, second bowl, second cup :)

bozzo, as far as I`m concerned that woman I was referring to should be in jail. Hung over both times I dealt with her. Lost two of her kids and did not seem very fazed by it. I did my part, do believe the popo did not follow up. Can`t help it, this one really bothered me.

Morning, Old Farts. Glad to see everyone still alive and kickin'. No rain here yet but they claim it's coming. The bar's roof doesn't leak, so I'll be high (no pun intended) and dry this afternoon.

Yoop, Boozo; I know the areas you both worked in well. What a zoo! Statistically, you stood a lot better chance of dying there than you did across the pond. Out of the frying pan, into the fire. Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back