I have a strange looking plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullcandy

Reaction score
you knowthe normal shape of a plant as it grows with a set of leafs on each side the it grows a bit and a set on the otherside well my lpant is one big tangled bunch on leafs coming from all dirrections it looks deformed it is a pineapple chunk that I would like to keep is it safe to bud then smoke a plant like that whats your opinion.

I got two of them one what I consider normal the other abnormal

05082013-2.jpg

05082013-1.jpg

well if it were mine i would take them too bud and smoke:icon_smile: but hay thats me. i dont know if i would breed it.

It looks okay to me. It kind of looks like it might have been topped or fimmed, but I don't see anything that I would be worried about.

The Hemp Goddess said:
It looks okay to me. It kind of looks like it might have been topped or fimmed, but I don't see anything that I would be worried about.

no I grow it from seed and have not topped or fimmed it

Well i top mine to grow like that, so your just lucky. It looks fine to me.

thanks Rosebud I must have gotten a blessed seed I sure hope it buds like a fimmed or topped plant I was afriad to fim it cause it was my first time and I did not want to ruin it now I don't have to worry about that :)

Yeah that is not a problem. It just has short internodes for right now from the intensity of the light or maybe a genetic anomaly that is keeping it from stretching much. I would continue to veg it until it gets about 10" tall or when it begins to show maturity, which ever comes first. It will stretch out in flower :)

hushpuppy could it be that I have the light to close to the plant which is preventing it from streching

Yes and no. If a plant get all of the light energy that it needs then typically it won't stretch out and reach for the light source much. But that is very dependant on the strain and possibly the genetics. If the light is too intense then you will begin to see some of the top leaves with bleaching spots popping up. If you are thinking the light is too intense and you want to test the theory and see if they will stretch some then back the light up about 1' and give the plant about 10 days to see if it starts to stretch some. If it doesn't stretch after 10days then it is a genetic issue.

Its also possible that there is something causing it to be stunted. Does it appear to have the same number of leaf nodes as the normal looking plant?

skullcandy said:
no I grow it from seed and have not topped or fimmed it

When you fim, you take a teeny tiny amount of growth off the upper growing tip. I think that you can accidentally fim a plant without really being aware of it. Even if it was growing weird, I would not be worried about finishing it out and imbiding.

Hushpuppy said:
Its also possible that there is something causing it to be stunted. Does it appear to have the same number of leaf nodes as the normal looking plant?

no it has two -three times more leafs most plants I have seem in pictures have four nodes 1 on each side this one has way more than that its like a bunch of tangled stems and leafs all over I am hoping that it will also have big buds all over :D

Yes, the light is to low.

Taco? Pull back.... I think I've said this 5 times this week.

I have known that not enough lighting will cause plants to stretch but I have never heard of having too much light(or too intense) causing the plants to actually scrunch itself. TOA; those 2 plants are under the same light but only one of them is doing the "scrunchie" while the other one appears to be normal. Would light intensity have this effect on one but not the other?

just to clear things up each plant has its own light, the normal plant is 145 watt the abnoral is 100 watt I did pull the lights to the top of the tent with the buckets on the floor they are looking healthy I am pretty happy with them at the moment

To answers hush puppy question even tho you answered it already skull is that,

Yes, it could vary in each strain. A more indica from say a cold wet climate / short growing cycle might not take as much "sun" or lumens compared to a tropical sativa with lots of sun and long growing seasons.

Even each plant can be different but I've noticed most plants are the same.

It's similar to a sunburn in humans. To much light and it not only causes growth what looks like "fimming" , topping , etc... Ever pinch some growth off and it grow back all wierd at first b/c you only pulled part of the growth off?

Same looking growth, looks like multiple tops/leaves because the meristem mutates and can't produce nodes so it makes them intermittently all stacked up on each other.

The leaf edges will first roll up on edge first each serreation will be pointed to the light. It progressed to hard ridges on the leaf itself, from vein to vein... Casting shadows across the leaf to "shade" itself.

Then forms "the taco".

Turns to stunting, wavy leaves , small frosty nuggs and wierd growth.

You might not notice all this becaus it can progress in just a few hours from mild to worse and you would never see the signs...

That is interesting, I have never seen that happen before that I can remember. Wouldn't leaf bleaching occur before the mutations?

hey skull raise your lights super crop all tops you see and spread plant out :)

A great deal of importance has happened in research investigating photosynthetic response to environmental stress in the 25 years since the last anniversary issue of Plant Physiology. However, from my perspective, the importance of one set of discoveries stands out from the others for its far reaching influence on how we think about the photosynthetic response to a wide range on environmentally imposed limitations. As little as 15 years ago it was generally held that the success of plants in their environment was dictated by strategies that maximized the rate of photosynthesis. Further, maximum photosynthetic capacity was thought to be largely a static characteristic of individual leaves that was established during development. This view has now given way to the recognition that the regulation of photosynthesis in response to the environment is highly dynamic and dominated by a photoprotective process, the non-photosynthetic thermal dissipation of absorbed light, which was entirely unknown at the time of Plant Physiology's 50th Anniversary. This brief overview describes what is currently understood about this centrally important photoprotective process and highlights areas of current inquiry that may presage a detailed mechanistic understanding in the near future

Most days plants encounter light intensities that exceed their photosynthetic capacity. Exactly what constitutes excess light for a leaf depends on its instantaneous environmental conditions and can vary over an exceedingly wide range of irradiance levels. For example, irrigated field-grown sunflower is typical of C3 crop plants, exhibiting maximum photosynthetic capacity during mid-morning with photosynthesis declining throughout the afternoon as stomatal conductance declines in response to declining leaf water potentials . Thus even under conditions which may not generally be considered stressful, stomatal conductance can substantially restrict CO2 entry into leaves, rendering even moderate irradiances in the top of a crop canopy in excess of photosynthetic capacity.

dr fever that confussed me more then anything but thanks for the info which I do use everyones info in one way or another next time maybe you can explan it in simpler words

HP drop the light way down and just watch them or take a video and watch it in fast forward.

I have grown in alot of areas with very limited height and have learned the hard way.

If you don't have hot spots from cheap reflectors they might not show up right away. Taco can happen fast and it is the plant telling you it's to much.

Latest posts

Back