Indoor Preparation question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctrain18

Reaction score
Ive decided to start a few seeds indoors under cfl and was wondering what should my cycle be and if it matters when my lighting period starts.
Im moving them out mid may which is about 15 hours of sun starting at 430am where i live. should I just set it at that to reduce shock?

there's alot of different opinions but i like 18on/6off because it's cheaper on the electric bill and does the same thing. i think the plants grow alot during the dark cycle. just my opinion.

you should use "cool white" CFL' to increase the female ratios. before you move them outside you should "harden them off" so that they'll be resiliant to the outdoors. do this by setting them in a window for a few days, or somewhat protected outdoors. (think greenhouse or something like) after you've integrated them slowly from indoor to outdoor they'll be ready to plant.

good luck. check out the resources thread up top of the page. really helpful.

"Female ratios"? You're telling me that the type of light determines which are male and which are female?:confused:

but if Im giving it 18 hours of light then set it outside in 15 isnt that gonna shock the plants?

i think that the temp and light out put of the sun are more stress than hours of light

plants like the blue spectrum during early veg. some research has been done, and concluded that it helps the ratios of m/f. seed genetics can also play a part. seeds from a hermie for example will most likely produce only hermie plants. but that's another discussion.

i talked about "hardending off the plants" before sending them outside. "hardeniing off" could be considered the adjustment to the natural light gradually in a controlled enviroment such as your window, or a green house. this will help prevent any "shock" that you may be in fear of.

finally, i've heard of people going from 18/6 to 16/8 schedule to ready plants for outdoors. i wonder if you're counting your daylight hours from twilight? if there is any kind of light the plants will know. thats why when flowering indoors absolute dark is so imperitive.

I think its more to do with how much stress the plants have idk if a seed is pre determing the sex could tho idk

ctrain18 said:
but if Im giving it 18 hours of light then set it outside in 15 isnt that gonna shock the plants?

no they wont ,,,,they will adjust to the outdoor lighting

i kept the plants i was vegging outdoors on 18/6 then as i was hardening them off also left them on the window sill for a few days before putting them outside :peace:

Latest posts

Back