Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes a most excelent stocking stuffers !

Totally off-the-wall trivia:

The Germans had colored beads on the bottoms of their potato-masher grenades. The colors indicated the time delays. But there was one kind that was never uncrated and used.

White bead. <-- That indicated an instant fuse. The crates were left when they had to retreat... so the partisans, etc. would find and use them.

The information regarding these grenades did not get around very well at all, so they were very effective cost-wise.

Brings back old memories. A dude I worked with that was closely associated with a certain group bought some Ruski grenades. He had plans of taking a few of 'em up north the coming weekend to pop 'em off. I'd read an article in a SOF mag (been 40 years ago so I don't remember for sure) that showed the codes the Russians used on their fuses. There were three circles and depending on whether they were colored in and in what order, it showed ya the delay times. Turns out his was a no delay fuse. They made 'em for booby traps or for leaving behind in hopes the enemy would pick 'em up and use 'em. Man's face turned white.
Pays to know your ordinance.
Yikes! See my post above. The Krauts did the same thing...

1671964299960.png

Re: Sneaky grenades...

Now that brings us to the S.E. Asia Games... We would leave cases of .45 ammo to be acquired by the VC. The VC had tommy guns (largely with the rear stock removed -- made it easy to conceal.)

The .45's were high explosive. Pull the trigger, and the bolt would go through the shooter.

VC cut-downs looked like the magazine-less one in the middle in this hokey picture.
1671964512247.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back