Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that about covers it

i will add stripers and sand bass and the hybrid wipers

i used to fish for stripers below Keystone dam outside of tulsa and the daily limit was 5 fish

it was easy to catch 5 ten to twenty pound stripers and fill the freezer up for a few weeks

i used qa 14’ foot fiberglass surf rod and an big Mitchell Garcia surf reel with 20 lb test line
14 ' is one big stick !

that about covers it

i will add stripers and sand bass and the hybrid wipers

i used to fish for stripers below Keystone dam outside of tulsa and the daily limit was 5 fish

it was easy to catch 5 ten to twenty pound stripers and fill the freezer up for a few weeks

i used qa 14’ foot fiberglass surf rod and an big Mitchell Garcia surf reel with 20 lb test line
I've never fished for Stripped Bass. Are they native to Oklahoma or introduced somewhere? I moved away in 1965.

When fishing for Steelhead and Salmon in the rivers around here, I used my Roddy Steelhead rod and Garcia Mitchel spinning reel and 20 lb test line.

We sometimes just went fishing, but usually we fished the good spots on the way down while whitewater boating. If we found a primo spot, we sometimes took an extra day there fishing and frolicking.

We ran and fished the Salmon, Snake, John Day, Deschutes, Clackamas, Sandy, Rogue, and McKinsey. We also fished for Steelhead and Salmon in the Willamette and Columbia from shore and various people's boats. That was less exciting to me that fishing wild rivers in part because it is hard for me become one with the river and fish while struggling to stay warm due to the timing of the winter spawning runs, while we always whitewater boated in warm weather and fished for Steelhead and Salmon during the warmer spring run.

Sad to say that I haven't been fishing since I wore out my third raft (delaminated) and gave up white water boating, to do more sailing. Since I sailed in the Columbia River, I was usually too busy tacking, trimming, and dodging other traffic to fish. I still have all my gear carefully packed away and gathering dust but donated my last johnboat and motor to the local Sea Scouts.

When fishing offshore, I typically used the charter boats gear, which were typically shorter rods and heavier lines, because they wanted hooked fish in the boat and away from the other lines in the water as soon as possible. I always had a good time, but never got hooked because there is less excitement winching them in than on lighter gear. The other things that part of fishing for me is being one with the river and fish and boats are usually cluttered with other people, some sometimes doing problematic things.

Last edited:
that is what hooked me…the simplicity

and i already knew how to fish with a cane pole so i caught right on

that video was by Tenkara Addict and he has a new video once a week

i fish vicariously through Tenkara Addict
I’ve had a few fishing outings including salt water by boat and off shore. When fishing on my own, I’m more comfortable with a cane pole. We dug a pond at our old place maybe 100 yards in dia and 30 ft deep. We had an artesian well that supplied it and stocked it with catfish and Georgia Giant brim So relaxing just to go out there and catch a few fish especially with the grandkids. There was a continuous supply for the years we lived there. I didn’t care for eating our fish or especially killing them could have had something to do with that. We did allow friends to fish there and keep their catch unless they caught an obvious prego fish fat with babies. Had a birthday party once there with all the relatives. Had a cane pole fishing contest with all the kids old and new. We had 30 poles rigged and them city kids went crazy.
will check out the Tenkara addict
268B259A-641E-48B5-BFAF-1E140DD945AD.jpeg

Last edited:
I've never fished for Stripped Bass. Are they native to Oklahoma or introduced somewhere? I moved away in 1965.

When fishing for Steelhead and Salmon in the rivers around here, I used my Roddy Steelhead rod and Garcia Mitchel spinning reel and 20 lb test line.

We sometimes just went fishing, but usually we fished the good spots on the way down while whitewater boating. If we found a primo spot, we sometimes took an extra day there fishing and frolicking.

We ran and fished the Salmon, Snake, John Day, Deschutes, Clackamas, Sandy, Rogue, and McKinsey. We also fished for Steelhead and Salmon in the Willamette and Columbia from shore and various people's boats. That was less exciting to me that fishing wild rivers in part because it is hard for me become one with the river and fish while struggling to stay warm due to the timing of the winter spawning runs, while we always whitewater boated in warm weather and fished for Steelhead and Salmon during the warmer spring run.

Sad to say that I haven't been fishing since I wore out my third raft (delaminated) and gave up white water boating, to do more sailing. Since I sailed in the Columbia River, I was usually too busy tacking, trimming, and dodging other traffic to fish. I still have all my gear carefully packed away and gathering dust but donated my last johnboat and motor to the local Sea Scouts.

When fishing offshore, I typically used the charter boats gear, which were typically shorter rods and heavier lines, because they wanted hooked fish in the boat and away from the other lines in the water as soon as possible. I always had a good time, but never got hooked because there is less excitement winching them in than on lighter gear. The other things that part of fishing for me is being one with the river and fish and boats are usually cluttered with other people, some sometimes doing problematic things.

thanks for the fish stories! sounds like you have fished the PNW and hit all the good places

you and Swede would get along good especially talking salmon

she won a 21’foot boat and motor that she won in a fishing contest up by Port Angeles

40+ pound king salmon for the win

18978DA7-B846-464C-AB5C-AC22BA913B2D.jpeg

my big fish

50C93B87-9A65-4A1F-9983-898F8CC7CC65.jpeg

Latest posts

Back