Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good morning

IMG_5554.jpeg

IMG_5528.jpeg

Ground beef or shredded? Call me gringo, I prefer the ground beef......but will eat either.

Bubba
Me, too. No surprises. I hate chewing on something I can't swallow. No graceful way to spit it into a napkin.

I will not eat raw oysters either. Phew!

Bubba
Oh my. I weep snot for you, my brother. To have been cursed to be without appreciation of a fresh, icy oyster... yum, drool... Love 'em.

There's an old video somewhere of Himself walking through foot-deep snow to get to the water's edge, and walking in and disappearing beneath the dark water. <-- TINS.

I was wearing a wetsuit. <-- These things do NOT keep you dry. When you go in the water, it is the same as going in nekkid. The water soaks into the suit, and your bod "warms" it. I was carrying my catch-gear: a burlap bag.

The locale was the Chesapeake Bay. When I got out a ways, I dove down (scuba) to the bottom. The visibility was Zerio. I'd feel around and find and oyster shell, and place it against my dive mask. Then I'd move my head backward, and that would give me a view as to whether the shell was a live oyster or not.

A funny bit happened on this, my coldest ever dive (with Herself and my two little kids in the car with the heater on).

I was only taking really large oysters, as the minimum size was 5". And you needed no license at all if you swam out and picked them up by hand (it was February). <-- TINS (If you were that crazy, no limit.)

When I got low on air, I headed back to shore and dragged my burlap bag fulla oysters with me... right into the path of a Fish Cop. He was looking at me like I was dragging a bag of blasting caps.

"You were really out there, swimming. I saw you." <-- It was a strange accusation.

"Um. Yup." My lips were totally numb.

So the Fish Cop starts reaching into my bag of oysters, and stops short, with a "What the hell?" look on his face.

"These are huge! Why did you work so hard to get these monsters? Most of them are more than seven inches long!"

Me: "Well, I couldn't measure them in total blindness, so I just made sure I met the five-inch minimum size."

Fish Cop: "My hat is off to you. Swimming in ice water, and taking only monsters. The minimum legal size is THREE inches!"

Back at home, one oyster had meat that was five inches long. We took a pic of that one opened.

Latest posts

Back