Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never was crazy about high speeds on a Bike.
To many variables. And the end result can be life changing,,,or life ending.
I like cruising and chilling. That's what makes riding enjoyable.
I agree after that day anytime I thought about red lining a bike I throttled back a bit. But I must say it was a heck of an adrenaline rush.

Never was crazy about high speeds on a Bike.
To many variables. And the end result can be life changing,,,or life ending.
I like cruising and chilling. That's what makes riding enjoyable.
I've been a little over 100 mph on two wheels. Never on a drag strip, though...on the street.
Not a smart thing to do, for sure.

I've been a little over 100 mph on two wheels. Never on a drag strip, though...on the street.
Not a smart thing to do, for sure.
I have had quite a few convertible cars too I never took them over 100 the frames could bend. I did take a Camaro SS LS1 to 140mph motor was worked along with air intake mods.
Too fast for a Convertible even with front torsion bar in place.
Never do it again

Morning! 34f...heavy frost!

30 degrees here…i covered a couple plants with frost cloth cause they were not done making seeds , I want to be sure the seeds are mature…

IMG_6407.jpeg

IMG_6408.jpeg

My sister had a crazy boyfriend who had a supped up Bike BIG engine swap way back when, I was young and stupid (as opposed too) OK jokes over
But he took me for a ride down a 1 mile stretch of roadway that lead to the town beach. We all did our speed tests their and of course Friday races.
Well of course when he said wanna ride the Beach road today
I jumped on the bike and we went. We went down the road doing 120ish I was watching speedo, no helmets just raw speed.
Amazing how fast it feels on a MC compared to a car. I always loved this about bikes.
OK now on the return trip and him having just installed new oversized jets in the carbs, he tweek the carbs one more time and the bike came alive. We open her up and the speedo pinned at over 130 maybe even 140, it was wild and I was a bit scared (this dude had just come out of prison for murder and was really crazy (mental hospital released him ) . OK back to story, We were screaming down the road, the pavement had holes and blacktop missing in many places, (setting the pic)
NOW he told me to lay down over him while he lay down also to get less wind resistance (bike would go faster), I complied, and the bike hit 140 . Just then he took his hands off the bars as one would do on a bicycle, and we rode half a mile at 140 on bad pavement and survived. I loved it but never got on back of a bike again.
I've never had a bike that would go 130. You would need a windscreen for extreme speeds, because the wind lift on the upper body at high speed gets extreme. Consider what the different class hurricanes and tornadoes are able to pick up and convey away at those wind speeds.

Losing a bike at those speeds would be problematic, I lost a chain master link one time and the chain got wrapped and tangled enough to lock the rear tire at 60 mph, which added severe fishtail to the handling equation and I shutter to think about what would have happened at higher speeds.

I was also riding cross country through a timber clear cut with a friend whose bike suddenly flipped end over end when a branch stuck through his front spokes and locked up his front wheel. We were only scooting along about 40 mph and he miraculously survived with just strains and bruises, but he was a cross country racer and the best rider that I have ever seen. I figured that if it could happen to him, it could also happen to Moi.

What got me off bikes for good and into something with more protection, was the last (3rd) time someone didn't see me coming and turning point blank in front of me. That one left me with permanent neck injuries and was what motivated me to sell both my road and cross country scooters and restore/upgrade the 65 Sunbeam Tiger.

PS: I geared the Tiger for 150 and the shortest time possible getting there.

Last edited:
I've never had a bike that would go 130. You would need a windscreen for extreme speeds, because the wind lift on the upper body at high speed gets extreme. Consider what the different class hurricanes and tornadoes are able to pick up and convey away at those wind speeds.

Losing a bike at those speeds would be problematic, I lost a chain master link one time and the chain got wrapped and tangled enough to lock the rear tire at 60 mph, which added severe fishtail to the handling equation and I shutter to think about what would have happened at higher speeds.

I was also riding cross country through a timber clear cut with a friend whose bike suddenly flipped end over end when a branch stuck through his front spokes and locked up his front wheel. We were only scooting along about 40 mph and he miraculously survived with just strains and bruises, but he was a cross country racer and the best rider that I have ever seen. I figured that if it could happen to him, it could also happen to Moi.

What got me off bikes for good and into something with more protection, was the last (3rd) time someone didn't see me coming and turning point blank in front of me. That one left me with permanent neck injuries and was what motivated me to sell both my road and cross country scooters and restore/upgrade the 65 Sunbeam Tiger.

PS: I geared the Tiger for 150 and the shortest time possible getting there.
We both were laying down at the time
Legs out chest down looking forward,
I was there it is possible to do.

I always do heavy customization on the motors and other parts of my toys and my 91 Fatboy topped out at about 120 miles an hour. I did that a few times and I don’t think I’ve got the stones to do it again. Especially at this age, things like that are not stable, nor am I.

I always do heavy customization on the motors and other parts of my toys and my 91 Fatboy topped out at about 120 miles an hour. I did that a few times and I don’t think I’ve got the stones to do it again. Especially at this age, things like that are not stable, nor am I.
Not many places around here to safely go 120 mph but lots of opportunity to get up to reasonable speeds fast and to drive winding roads.

To optomize my joy I installed new springs, sway bar(s), and shocks, with wider rims using stock centers or mags, and upgraded the brakes.

I put Jag rear discs on the Sunbeam and Lincoln discs on the 67 and 84 Birds. The 61 Jag Mk 9 already had four wheel discs.

Latest posts

Back