Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before Hollywood went Gay and trans gender
What a mornin'!!

View attachment 276600

I just got done scaring myself half to death -- my Beautiful Witch's flame tree (that's its real name -- AKA: poinciana) in my back yard has to have serious trimming done every 3 years or so. The branches of this kind of beast will grow until the tree is more than a hundred feet across, and those branches will come down right to the grass.

So early-early this moanin' afore it gots too hot... there I yam, way up on my big stepladder, waving my chainsaw ONE-HANDED (could not use two and still remain ten feet up). When the saw finally got through the 5" thick branch, the twenty-foot cut-off branch came down and whacked Himself if the left arm... followed by the still-whizzing chainsaw.

The fargin limb saved my arm from having an artery cut open!!!!! :eek: The chain hit the limb in the split-second that it was between the whirring chain and Unca-arm. O jeez.

Continuing with the action, I fell offa the ladder. Owie. Managed to throw the chainsaw on the way down so I din' land on the sucker.

I am really getting too fargin old for this kind of thing. Not only that, but I am running out of parts.

Here's the best part (from my POV). I stopped crying and moved the stepladder to the next branch. I did a total of four. (pant, puf)

Then, I dragged each of the logs to my woodpile about 200' away. (wheeze <-- I was all out of pant-pufs). Coupla hunnert pounds. Jeezy-jeez.

So here I sit, after showering off sawdust, dirt, and mebbe a little spilled pee, ready to whip my weight in butterflies.
I can still see my mother in the later years when my father would start the chainsaw, getting the phone, and watching to call 911.
He did fall with chainsaw once, no cut but broke an ankle. Spirit is willing but....

Bubba

OK now
Have you ever pissed off one of these docile creatures
Scared me good the first time my dog cornered one.
They dont attack unless provoked (just like @WeedHopper)
1628432670962.png

Now I wait to hear Walts stories LOL

OK now
View attachment 276632
Yes I have. They can be quite viscous when cornered. We used to catch them as kids. Racoons were nicer, but have opposable thumbs and can grab things out of your pocket like a monkey. I will take a mean opossum over a mean rat that is just as big....never caught those, just shot them with .22 LR. Rats can get huge, chew through cement, bricks, wiring etc.

HEY BUBBA I Made a Avatar for you
View attachment 276635
If only my state didn't require front and rear license plates (Gotta keep those inmates busy) this would be me personalized one.
You'd think it would get you pulled over more, but most cops around here know me, and I'm always a friend towards cops. I had my younger days, but you quit making mistakes as you gain experience. Experience is gained of course, by making mistakes which I made plenty. I havent been asked to step from the car in a few decades.

Bubba

OK now
View attachment 276632

You axed. I gots possums under the concrete floor of my tool shed out back. I feed them regularly. When I cut the skin off a salmon (preferred cooking method), they get it. Same for steak fat, leftovers, etc.

I like to keep the family around for very sensible reasons:

1628455359744.png

Univ Of Floriduh:
https://nwdistrict.ifas.ufl.edu/nat/2018/04/14/which-local-creatures-eat-venomous-snakes/"Opossums are known to consume at least 12 species of snakes, including venomous ones. They also consume ticks, fire ants, and have a very low occurrence of rabies - a cool animal to have around."

While deer hunting, I watched a small possum catch and eat a coral snake. Mongo wuz impressed.

Last edited:
They, like racoons are nocturnal and keep to themselves. When clean, their fur is quite attractive. About the only negative is that they are known to carry rabies. I've never seen it first hand.

Rats are something else.

Latest posts

Back