Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't make tamales hot enough to make me shit the bed! The gal screwed up on the order and sent me a dozen hot and a dozen mild. It was a Godsent error 'cause the hot ones would have sent the diverticulitis on a mission to kill me. The Old Hen likes the mild and she ate one. She thought they were too hot. I thought they were tasty but wimpy.

I hear you about lawyers, GW. I belonged to an organization that was made up of a bunch of party harty scooter hippies. Every thing was wonderful. We survived an infiltration of cops, which were some fun dudes but a little straight laced for our tastes. We'd been warned ahead of time. The downfall came when we got infiltrated by lawyers. You can't do this, you can't do that. Liability this, liability that. They were pretty much shunned and ignored.

Too bad my nephew in law didn't live out your way. He's made a fortune at being a patent attorney. He'd probably taken the case pro bono for some of your concoctions. :)
tenor.gif

6ff5e34d-44be-415a-a604-3007a8317e38-giphy.gif

What were the cops trying to do, find shit out about the club and such? Or were they really just hanging having a good time. Bastards
View attachment 348942
They were doing what cops do. They wound up having fun. Most left within a year. The one that hung the longest was an ex alphabet soup dude that took a downgrade to chief of police of Racoon City.

Anyone who has that much money no doubt negotiated special pricing for the group banquet, though moot if the food is choice and you have a good time.

Looking forward to hearing your refined postprandial rating of their food and ambiance brother, vis a vis Outback's.
Yeah I'm kinda curious if the 89.00 steak is any better than my 26 dollar Outback steak.
And yes I'm pretty sure he negotiated a group price. The guy is pretty fking smart. A big Developer.

The labor rate when I started my career was $20.00/hour. Oil changes were $8.95, alignments were $19.95, and batteries cost around 30 bucks, if I recall correctly (and we had to add acid to them because they shipped dry).

Several years ago when I left the field, our shop was getting $135.00/hour. That does not in any way represent my pay, however. Most of that labor cost is due to daily operating expenses and the costs of regulatory requirement compliance.

My personal investment in my collection of tools, including storage and diagnostics, was well over $100,000.00, almost 20 years ago. Then factor in education over the years - there is no 'one course' one can take to become a Master Auto Technician. I took many comm. college certificate courses to keep up with new technology as it came about, and industry training usually ran around $200.00 for an 8 hour, two day course, with a suggestion of around 200 hours per year of technical training just to keep up with the changes to the industry.

I didn't have 'student loan debt' - I had continual training debt that had to be prepaid if I wanted to keep up. And I did. Over 40 years worth in total. Nowadays most shops want young techs that have an AA in Automotive Technology. I hear those courses can cost in the area of $20-30,000.00. For a two-year degree. Glad I didn't have that debt, too!

I just put a battery in my wife's car. Bought it at NAPA and did the job myself. That battery was $225.00. Plus the core charge. lol

As far as I know, there are no federal licensing requirements for mechanics like there are for say, electricians and plumbers. States and local jurisdictions may have requirements, though.
I took Mechanics in Highschool. Plus I worked on my Hotrods all the time. Nothing like on the job training.
But no I would not consider myself a technician like you that's for sure.
I worked as a service writer in a huge dealership and I know how much those techs paid for tools.😱
I also know that the goddamn dealership parts prices were absolutely ridiculous and ripping off people was a common thing with outrageous pricing.
I knew some good mechanics that I would send ppl too where they got their car fixed where they could still afford to feed their families afterwards.🤪

I been trying to come up with a decent comment for the broke thang in line also. Somehow I missed her yesterday. - Maybe just let sleeping dogs lye. In my younger single days... That happened once or twice over the years... How many kids she got in tow? Joking - Mrs. Money off work today, she be waiting for me with her rolling pin. It's aluminum. Stress test today - I think - Slim on the coffee fixins

I took Mechanics in Highschool. Plus I worked on my Hotrods all the time. Nothing like on the job training.
But no I would not consider myself a technician like you that's for sure.
I worked as a service writer in a huge dealership and I know how much those techs paid for tools.😱
I also know that the goddamn dealership parts prices were absolutely ridiculous and ripping off people was a common thing with outrageous pricing.
I knew some good mechanics that I would send ppl too where they got their car fixed where they could still afford to feed their families afterwards.🤪
Yeah, parts pricing is crazy. On the other hand, it was a 7 hour labor operation to replace a $40.00 temperature blend door motor on a Lincoln Town Car in the late 80's/early 90's. That included draining and refilling the cooling system and discharging and recharging the HVAC operations.

I'm also an SAE member, and I honestly believe that most engineers try to get it right, but sometimes they just really fudge things up. Like the Chevette...where you had to remove the steering column to replace the starter, or the other GM car (can't remember what it was at the moment) that you were supposed to discharge the AC and remove the compressor from the car to replace the distributor cap. I could go on...

They use computers to eliminate weight by the gram when designing cars today. Lots of race car technology has gone into safety systems for passenger cars, too. Like purpose-built crumple zones and shear components to help absorb energy away from occupants in case of an impact.

These ain't your father's Oldsmobiles any more. :)

Anyone who has that much money no doubt negotiated special pricing for the group banquet, though moot if the food is choice and you have a good time.

Looking forward to hearing your refined postprandial rating of their food and ambiance brother, vis a vis Outback's.
"postprandial"

Now there's a word you don't see every day! :cool:

The Old Hen washed the bedding and hung it outside on the line to dry. Something about air dried sheets works on me better than beer and quaaludes. I'm calling it a night. See ya's in the morning. ☮️
My wife bought a set of flannel sheets a couple years ago. I thought they'd be too hot, but they aren't. They're very, very comfortable. Even in summer.

It's weird, but I like it pretty cool when I sleep, then I pull the covers up to my head. I also prefer a hot shower, year 'round.

I been trying to come up with a decent comment for the broke thang in line also. Somehow I missed her yesterday. - Maybe just let sleeping dogs lye. In my younger single days... That happened once or twice over the years... How many kids she got in tow? Joking - Mrs. Money off work today, she be waiting for me with her rolling pin. It's aluminum. Stress test today - I think - Slim on the coffee fixins
Good Luck, I get all stressed out doing that test. I do the chem due to my back and leg. They would not let me walk the mill due to dizziness from the head too.

They were doing what cops do. They wound up having fun. Most left within a year. The one that hung the longest was an ex alphabet soup dude that took a downgrade to chief of police of Racoon City.
We kept having cops sign up for our cannabis related classes at Skunk Pharm Research, some of which tried to entrap us. We did everything precisely by the books and called them on their leading suggestions or questions, so they lost interest.

My wife bought a set of flannel sheets a couple years ago. I thought they'd be too hot, but they aren't. They're very, very comfortable. Even in summer.

It's weird, but I like it pretty cool when I sleep, then I pull the covers up to my head. I also prefer a hot shower, year 'round.
We switch to flannel sheets every year in winter and back to standard ones when it warms up.

Good Luck, I get all stressed out doing that test. I do the chem due to my back and leg. They would not let me walk the mill due to dizziness from the head too.
I did mine on the treadmill. I asked the chick if anyone had ever died doing it. She said, "Not on my shift!". I said, "Maybe I'll be a first for ya."
Yeah, but she was callin' my name.

"Bob? Anything you want, Bob. Any old thing. Bob."
She called him John. Come to think of it, she calls everybody John.....

Latest posts

Back