It must be dinner time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Shiloh

Okay, y'all are busted. Wish I was in the kitchen right now, cooking for my man.

Last edited by a moderator:
1624709535587.png
Be careful you dont get eaten

Some of my ways to kick up a can of beans--
Chopped red onion
Smashed and rough chopped garlic
A splash of red wine vinegar
A splash of olive oil
Fresh cilantro
Cumin
Smoked paprika
Spike brand seasoning
Oregano
Oil packed sun dried tomatoes
Chipotle peppers in adobo
Any chopped pepper, from bell to jalapeno to habanero
Chili powder
Splash of Tabasco
Cheese of your choice from asiago to cheddar to cotija to jack

All over jasmine rice

Bean choices--
Black
Pink
Garbanzo
etc., etc., etc.

Hispanic/Latino grocery stores have a fantastic array of canned beans. Try them all.

Beans and other pulses are definitely the way to go, I hope to replace a lot of the meat I eat with them, and the Spanish have some great recipes. The meat available in supermarkets is highly questionable, so when I do buy it, I use the local butcher, who has a reputation to uphold.
I´m (stupidly) still using the recipes I´m accustomed to, which were fine for a Yorkshire blacksmith, but hardly suitable for a wizened old stick in the sub-tropics, with an appetite shorter than his attention span.
I´ve never eaten much fruit, or nuts, but finding myself in a garden with twenty-some kinds of edibles it is obviously time I widened my horizon. The nispera have just finished, plums are ripe, almonds and olives are looking good, pears and peaches are doing their thing, and the walnuts are looking promising. My favourite are the feijoa, I´m still trying to get enthusiastic about avocados, and believe persimmon to be the work of the devil.
My marijuana plants love the dappled shade under the lemon tree, as the summer sun intensifies and the grass turns to tinder, revealing the long winding dual-carriageways of the ants in the summer´s dust.
Dinner was buttered crumpets and a can of serious Belgian beer -- hardly cook-book material.
I hope to be up to speed with beans by Autumn, and pastry is a very fond ambition.
You´re never alone with a pie ...

I think nuts are over-rated. I was eating lots of them for several months. My cholesterol level shot up. I continue to eat almonds and believe they are very healthy. I am a meat eater, however, I am finding I can't digest a New York strip like I once did. I'm leaning more and more into legumes and seafood and cheeses and yogurt for my proteins.

I had a persimmon farm down the road from me for many years. The owner allowed me to walk my rottweiler through the orchard. Rottie and I loved the fruit right off the tree.

Yes, It´s difficult, I find, to adapt to changes in one´s dietary requirements while holding fast to the ambition to grow old as disgracefully as possible. I´m nearly ready for a walking stick, which I will wave at the traffic with gusto. We have to move with the times.

Some of my ways to kick up a can of beans--
Chopped red onion
Smashed and rough chopped garlic
A splash of red wine vinegar
A splash of olive oil
Fresh cilantro
Cumin
Smoked paprika
Spike brand seasoning
Oregano
Oil packed sun dried tomatoes
Chipotle peppers in adobo
Any chopped pepper, from bell to jalapeno to habanero
Chili powder
Splash of Tabasco
Cheese of your choice from asiago to cheddar to cotija to jack

All over jasmine rice

Bean choices--
Black
Pink
Garbanzo
etc., etc., etc.

Hispanic/Latino grocery stores have a fantastic array of canned beans. Try them all.

yeah that sounds good and I use a lot of those seasonings in beans...but not canned beans , always fresh cooked beans

well done bacon all crumbled up is pretty good in beans along with some onions and garlic , salt and pepper

cooked up Lima beans with lots of butter , a little bacon grease , salt and pepper , yummy

the main staple us 10 kids were raised on was pinto beans , onion , piece of bacon , salt and,pepper , usually served with fried potatoes and bread and butter

yeah that sounds good and I use a lot of those seasonings in beans...but not canned beans , always fresh cooked beans

well done bacon all crumbled up is pretty good in beans along with some onions and garlic , salt and pepper

cooked up Lima beans with lots of butter , a little bacon grease , salt and pepper , yummy

the main staple us 10 kids were raised on was pinto beans , onion , piece of bacon , salt and,pepper , usually served with fried potatoes and bread and butter

How could I omit pinto beans? Yes I always used to cook beans from dried. Now that I am alone, I am very impressed with canned beans, especially Goya brand.

How could I omit pinto beans? Yes I always used to cook beans from dried. Now that I am alone, I am very impressed with canned beans, especially Goya brand.

Goya is a good brand

pinto and then navy and then great northern beans were our top three

red beans and rice was common in Jamaica and I think someone said it is a real healthy combo , some synergies there

i won’t lie , every once in a great while I will get a craving for some Bush bbq beans and then there is canned Ranch beans ...pretty dang good

Goya is a good brand

pinto and then navy and then great northern beans were our top three

red beans and rice was common in Jamaica and I think someone said it is a real healthy combo , some synergies there

i won’t lie , every once in a great while I will get a craving for some Bush bbq beans and then there is canned Ranch beans ...pretty dang good

You know, I don't think you can go wrong with beans. Once in awhile my body tells me I need a steak. Throw in a good salad and an olive oil dressed baked potato. What more could you want, except some real butter (an absolute necessity!).

Latest posts

Back