jar pop why

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. They even pop the first time you open when new. I never really thought about it....but to me it means it is sealed properly and air tight.
I believe it is the air pressure , If you sealed a jar in the mountains and shipped it to me it the valley their would be a definite pressure difference.
Same as if new seal at a different location and air pressure.

It's simpler than all that, it's how they are designed to work. When you tighten down the lid it mashed a little, forcing a little air out before seal is made. When unscrewed the resultant vacuum holds the lid on.

Same thing when you make jelly, except hot jelly cooling sucks the lid on. Remember older grandma made jelly with melted wax on top. Grandma was a bread maker. She would make bread and rolls everyday. I would stand there grabbing hot rolls, putting a piece of salty country ham in it and suck it down. Think I will track down a country ham. Gonna get my pistol and go to the ethnic groceries.

Why white folks north of the Mason Dixon line don't like country ham will always be a mystery to me.

Bubba

could it be that something is using up the oxygen in the jar to give it a vacuum? maybe the drying bud ? more moist the bud is the longer the prosses takes causing the pop to be louder. would happen after the burps. do thay pop when new from store? doesn't a decaying body give off gasses? put one in a jar do you think the jar would get a negative atmosphere at some point? wouldn't seem so to me unless a chemical reaction causing the gasses to evaporate creating a vacuum. ?????????????

That's called popping a jar open for a reason. 😉

Reactions: zem

Latest posts

Back