Just wanting to know the formula to see how much my 1k watt will cost.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you live near moving water there are loads of informative posts around the net on how to make your own hydro electric generators. That would be the most effective way to get your own power in good quantities.

Jericho said:
Yeh i know. I rechecked my rates off the site. 5 tier plan works like so.

1 0 - 2,000 0.161
2 2,001 - 6,000 0.173
3 6,001 - 10,000 0.189
4 10,001 - 20,000 0.360
5 20,001 & over 0.620

So working it out on tier 1, .6 x 24 x .161 x 30day month = 69.55 so actually 91.15 USD P/m.

I really need to invest in solar energy considering i live on a Mediterranean island. We do actually have some of the highest prices in Europe here thats why i was surprised that op was paying more. Normally its .0** else where.

Ouch, that's some expensive energy :S

the energy per kw is 16 cents here on the water usually...but my meter is off so they only charge me a minimal flat fee every month which is great because i really dont have to pay any extra.

I was so stoned when I did that math :rofl:

And yall are lucky, i grow for 4 other patients...My bill is 350-500$ a month

orangesunshine said:
hope your partner is prepared to be bumped into the 2nd and possibly 3rd tier---might consider another break down cause he will be pissed when it comes time to pay that bill---

cost = watts x hours of operation divide by 1000---(this is the kwh) multiply the kwh by the pge rate and it will give you the cost to run the light---

Well like I stated above I already did, it will cost 114.25 just for the 1kwatt. So with everything else I expected around 200 a month...

But with that aside, What is all this tier 1, 2,3 thing? I'm no electrician and I don't quite understand it.. What, does it cost more per KWH depending on which tier your in? And depending on how much you use puts you into a higher tier???

that is exactly right---CA has 5 tiers---you are allotted a predetermined kilowatt usage per tier---pricing is determined by your usage category with the power company of business, agricultural, residential, etc...tier 1 is the least expensive---after you use the allotted kilowatts for that tier you will be charged the higher rate of tier 2 etc...

Tiers: Price goes up the more energy you use

So what tier and how much do you think the cost would be of running a 1k watt HPS , 1 175 CMF Fan, 1 400 CMF fan, and 2 osculating fans?

impossible to determine without knowing what their usage is now---1 light with all the extras is not a whole lot of power---but could be enough to push the bill into the next highest tier in CA---

orangesunshine said:
impossible to determine without knowing what their usage is now---1 light with all the extras is not a whole lot of power---but could be enough to push the bill into the next highest tier in CA---

Well, damn near all of them will be running 24/7 except the HPS. The HPS wil be 12/12.

talking about the usage in the house before adding the grow to the kilowatt total---

orangesunshine said:
talking about the usage in the house before adding the grow to the kilowatt total---
ah... Well that I don't know. because we are growing at my partners place. And he lives there with his family of 5... 4 of which are females) and they love to waste electricity with their hair dryers and what not. (No offense browsing females ;) So that, couldn't be sure of. But, I imagine they are still in the first tier? Regardless, was trying to get a educated guess/estimation as to if just what i explained above would pop it into another tier, cause if so, then I can just imagine how much energy they use, plus the grow...

I doubt that a family of 5 stays within the first tier--I live alone and use over 2000 KW a month. And I am very frugal with my household electrical use--I don't use blow dryers or curling irons, take short showers, wash clothes in cold water, use CFLs in household lights, turn things off when I am not using them, etc, etc. However, I do have a 1000W, a 600W, a 216W, and fans and air pumps and a space heater some nights.

The electrical costs do not jump much each tier (a little over a penny) until you get over 10,000 KW (where it pretty much doubles), which I cannot imagine will happen. Make sure the KW stay below 10,000 and the difference between the tiers will not be much.

Wow THG, i live with my GF. 616 kWh this month. Never goes over 800. We have wood stove tho.

I was at 2100 KW last month. I have a wood stove, but need to run a space heater in my room at the other end of the house and in the flowering space(s) at night. My grow equipment alone probably runs about 800 KW, not counting what it costs to heat the space at night. It is still cold here at night. It was 25F when I got up.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I was at 2100 KW last month. I have a wood stove, but need to run a space heater in my room at the other end of the house and in the flowering space(s) at night. My grow equipment alone probably runs about 800 KW, not counting what it costs to heat the space at night. It is still cold here at night. It was 25F when I got up.

Thank you so much hemp! You'r so damn knowledgeable!!!! And damn 25* thats super cold! I think the coldest it gets for me at night is 40. Which is getting me concerned because the hottest it got latley, was 81, which I think is way to high, but isn't to bad i guess... As for the nights, it got as low as 45-50... And ATM have no resources to heat the room up... When im flowering might not be to bad, since i'll be using the 1k watt. But as of right now I only got a couple t5 floro set ups that don't give off much heat... Kinda curious as to what i should do..

Latest posts

Back