largest tomato competition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
see post 335 zip. those the same cages you use? notice how the vine is fallen over the side, and still growing? those tomatoes are bigger than baseballs. i'll show you softball size tomatoes AGAIN, this year.:D :cool: ...

come on....wheres the pics???

so sorry IRISH..i did get caught in my :bong: I promise some great pics of me garden tomarrow. My Beafstakes are allready softballs..and a grape tomato plant that has more fruit on one plant then ive ever seen..Just wrote on sticky note..so ill see ya all tomarrow after work..:bolt::bong:

zip..i use rebar pounded in ground and tied to cage for added support...the cages dont hold a good tom plant..so reinforcement is needed IMO..I also use bamboo stakes and wood strips i cutt..ill show tomarrow..Goodnight my friend

This year I'm Staking my toms and pinching off all the suckers. But most years I use cages as well. My cages are made from the heavy gage wire grids used for re-enforceing concrete foundations. I just cut it in 3 foot X 6 foot sections and bend it into a tube and bend the cut ends over to keep it closed. The size of the grid is large enough to put your hand through and pick your first toms. And the wire is strong enough to hold up the largest of tomato plants. These things are like tomato cages on steroids.
They also work great for vining plants like cucumbers, snowpeas, gourds, and even mellons, with support,( I use womens nylons tied like a hammock).
Garden on.

:ciao: cubby..i use those for peas they do work great..

IRISH Zip...here ya go sorry for yesturday..

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

025.JPG

040.JPG

Very nice pics! I love the plant behind the owl in pic 9. What is that? I see you have your readiness shelter plan going. I need to keep going on mine. You never know, especially this year.

wth 4u you get up on a ladder just to take a arial view shot? LOL
nice shot tho !

irish<< them the same exact cages im usin but lets just say teh plants are all each like 20 times the size the cages. :hubba:

i went out an looked at em today and in the middle the cages tehy all just packed dense wit toms an branches etc.
ah heck an i forgot the camera inside an got lazy so tomorrow i'll get some shots. or try an remember anyway LOL.
you'll see wat i mean guys. i aint playin i got some monsters :hubba:

if i wanted to remove the cages form them at all right now i'd literally have to snip every section of wire to the cage and remove it by sections LOL.
i might end up havin to do just that as there toms even growin in the center the cage gettin squished while they fattening wit the dense stalks etc.

biggest branch i saw today was bigger in thickness tahn a bratwurst.
the main stalks look liek trees.

4u i aint seen your mother ya put in the cage lately but i think my toms are beatin her in size anyway :hubba:
or actually i'd say they all the size that MJ plant ya got in ya shelter in the middle of the three. prolly bigger even not sure
its just a damn shame i couldnt have some girls growin right amongst them toms , especially tehy way they growin. i could only iagin how my mj would grow if wit them wowsaz!!

iknow i know enough talk an lets see pix. well its dark now so gonna have to wait til mornin at least LOL

sheeese & rice. this is where the grow show is at, over in largest tomatoe comp.:hubba: :cool: ...

you are a respected man in my house 4u2. those are some beauties fo sure.:D . i also would love to see the caged girl. heres my quarter.:bong1: ...

you are too zip.;) . for your first big garden, you get the trophy for best new grower in the garden grow show. :farm: here, hold this.:48:

420benny said:
Very nice pics! I love the plant behind the owl in pic 9. What is that? I see you have your readiness shelter plan going. I need to keep going on mine. You never know, especially this year.

Hello benny... maybe should break that chain and scoot on over..or like UKgirl said bring the holder of the leash..lol..that plant is my massbucket..from massproduccers coco buckets..placed out last April..she is my favorite..even tho only 5 feet tall...many colas:hubba: have a great day my friend:bolt::bong:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30181&page=20

took me while to get round to it i know but i dont get quite as excited bout the vegie garden as i do the girls :hubba:
but the first 2 pix are of how i was sayin how they toppled over sideways and been growing outward since LOL
im just gonna say hek wit it an let em go. there no toms touchin the ground anyway. besides, when i reached to pull the cage strait back up again to try an prop it somehow i could here stalks twisting almost made a noise where theywas gonna start to snap off, so... :confused2:

i did get 3 red toms tho already. and another plant thats been gettin longest sun of the day is gonna have bout a dozen in a wek or so ready to pik too.
and dayum was they good toms hey.
i literally bit into it like i was eatin a soft peach and wow it had flavor!! :eek: im so use to buyin my tomatoes and eatin tomatoe ion food in restaraunts etc which all taste like wet toilet paper (nothin/bland)
but wow. mmm i got the munchies an lookin at the 3rd pic is makin me wanna eat the last one right now. LOL
hold on...
3rd shot tom's
and the rest the pix are of my weird zuchinis oh and one shot the normal ones. lol
anyone ever see a zuchini like these before? LOL
look like giant lima beans.

and the last pic is one the cucumbers tahts startin to do same thing as teh zuchinis.
:confused2: is this becuz of a deficiency of sorts by chance?

either way the normal cucumbers i ate already were delish also.
oh man i wish i had a garden throwin out toms and cucumbers etc all year round.
didnt get shots of the bells either oops. but my chocolate bells are all comin in now too. 2-3 per plant tho the plants are all only bout foot high the choc ones.
all the others teh kaleidescopes and sweet bells an CA bels are botu 2-2.5 ft tall maybe lil more and still just startin to show tiny peppers comin in anywhere from 4-6 per plant :) :hubba:

Wow Zip,
Those toms look like shrubs. Are'nt those fresh picked toms great? Sorry I can't help you as far your curly zukes, I'm not really a gourd grower.
This past Sunday I canned 26 quarts of tomatoes and harvested about 30 of my bell peppers. I have some pics in the thread garden shots. My pepper plants got so tall and heavy with with peppers that I had to put rebar cages around them, first time I've ever had to do that. My onions seem to be comming along pretty good to. I'm planning on canning up 5-6 quarts of salsa within the next couple days.
Take care and good gardening.:farm:

nice pull cubby.:hubba: .

zip, your zucchini looks to be inbred.:eek: . kidding bro. it does look as if it is crossbred with spaghetti squash. were they grown next to the cukes? could be a cross between the two.

we had spaghetti squash one year, next to the butternut squash, and they crossed. it was a green striped butternut.

nice toms. fat, and juicy.

check out my round cukes.:confused: ;) . these are some toms, jalapenos, wax beans, cukes, bell pepper, and cherry toms.

edit- carrots from our garden also...

and thats whats for dinner.:hubba: along with hot buttered biscuits, and a steak. tomorrow's menu, is deep fried fish, yellow squash, and fried green 'maters. man, i could live off that...Irish...

Wow Zip,
Those toms look like shrubs
i know huh? but trust me they not man. they huge and tehy all like grew into one another.
i even pulled 2 a while back cuz i knew id run out room and even wit the measly 6 i have in that row they still like eating each other. and literally i cant see jack for light thru them when one one side. its liek a hedge fence man.
i'll go try an get sum better pix showin they actuall size today later on. they toppled over literally layin sideways and started to grow out ward and then all up inside each other.
i go out an look at them an try to think of sortin them out an i just laff in hopelessness. LOL
but oh yeah them fresh garden toms are wonderful.
and i never used any sort of chems on em not once . all organic soil ammendments and fish emulsions grow and bloom forms and some cal-mag unless thats chemicals(calmag) ?

zip, your zucchini looks to be inbred. . kidding bro. it does look as if it is crossbred with spaghetti squash. were they grown next to the cukes? could be a cross between the two.
i cant recall for sure wat kinds of squash i planted. i got a couple envelopes wit like 6 diff kinds and i got yellow ones and the green ones and super dark green ones almost black lookin.
and one weird melon. i'll have to get hold my grandmother an see wat strain(?) tehy all are if she even remembers.
so if its crossed wit a spaghetti squash would the guts be like a spaghetti squash then? and teh outside appearance of a regular ? LOL

we had spaghetti squash one year, next to the butternut squash, and they crossed. it was a green striped butternut
man that is crazy hey. LOL i never knew that ya could cross pollinate vegies like squash wit other breeds of like phenos or watever ya call it like ya was sayin diff type squashs crossing...
tat neat as hell.
how bout crossin melons? is that doable? liek say a watermelon and a honeydew...
i so love honeydew but imagine onw the size of a wtermelon... :eek: that'd be sweet.

i was just watchin sum youtube vids on growin giant pumpkins and holy cow guys. i believe i am so gonna try me a giant pumpkin next year.
i got from now til next spring to learn the tricks of the trade and prepare etc.

who's with me on a giant pumpkin growing contest next year?
i know iwill be here still so if anyones with me., hey we got all winter to reserch the art of growin giant pumpkins :hubba:
but tehy was talkin bout cross pollinating pumpkins and i wondered taht of other vegies as well. hmmm
how bout giant melons :hubba:

WATERMELONS! :rofl:

dam irish pass me a plate of that there. holy cow im a go whip up a steak at 5 am now LOL

edit:
oh wat bout my cucumber in last pic. can those cross breed wit zuchinis or any other wierd vegie to get that curled tail on it too?

Here you go Zip ;)

hXXp://www.eatnineghost.com/heart-shape-cucumber/

:peace:

wow! i have to say NOW THAT IS GNARLY !!!

I AM SO GONNA TRY THIS NEXT YEAR ON SOMETHING SOMEHOW.
caps oops lol

thanks for that link HIE
ya see them square melons? LOL thats sweet as hek.
wat'll they think of next lol

i wondr if ya could do that somehow wit a mj bud growing on a plant?
only prob id see is mold. or maybe making a wire and nylon stocking materal and a mold ...... HMMMM
im a sit an think on this for a bit .lol

just think. giva ya special lady a nice big heart shape bud for valentines day...

zipflip said:
who's with me on a giant pumpkin growing contest next year?
i know iwill be here still so if anyones with me., hey we got all winter to reserch the art of growin giant pumpkins :hubba:
but tehy was talkin bout cross pollinating pumpkins and i wondered taht of other vegies as well. hmmm
how bout giant melons :hubba:

WATERMELONS! :rofl:

Im in :lama: i normally grow GIANT pumkins in my Garden for the County fair contest..I had 3rd two years ago..1 pumkin was 520lbs and another was 460..didnt grow this year as ya can see why..as for watermellons..I tried..they dont do well for me here..That one zuccuinie(sp) looks like a shoe :rofl:..a few years back befor i started takeing pics..i had a cucumber that was almost 4lbs looked like a zuccini...didnt taste well but did grow wierd..well off to check garden..take care and be safe

1 pumkin was 520lbs and another was 460..
:eek: wowsa.
now honestly here. are giant pumpkins all in the breed you grow or is it truly taht you take any ol pumpkin seed and that its a matter of how you grow it?
remember now im just now startin to have the idea of this so no knowledge of anythin for me as of yet. lol
i got the perfect spot for it too tho.

haha... it seems everytime i log onto mp here im either smokin a joint bowl etc and or grabbin or eating a tomato crrot or slicin a cucumber etc. everytime i check this thread lately i seem to get teh crave for somethin vegie LOL.

Latest posts

Back