largest tomato competition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
docfishwrinkle said:
very interesting 4u. u never cease to amaze me. thanks. harvest @ what time? when foiliage dies back?

they can be Harvested anytime really..i just wait till fall and or have 6 tires stacked..the ones on the Bottom will be bigger as you know

thats interestin 4U. im a have to scrounge me up some old tires now for next years spud grow lol.
thanks for sharin the idea

may also be some good cover fro puttin sum MJ inthe garden next year too. a ring of stacks of old tires all bout 5 ft high each stack surroundin teh girls...? hmmm

Finally in a place with enough room for a garden, 'bout three acres out the back. got a few calves on there but will fence a bit of for the garden. three big raised beds should be more than enough. been keeping an eye on this thread and good job all round. our spring starts in sept so its not too far off. just wondering, i've got a few seeds that are meant to b the biggest tomato's you can get. would i be best to sprout a few a bit early and protect them till the season starts? wondering the same bout my grass too.... its often said here " in by grand final day (last weekend in sep) and out by april fools... Ant other aussie here?

hiya GD. yeah start whatever you want early indoors then move out 4 the season. its best to start ur MJ inside & get em to where they show sex (around 12"/6 wks) then u dont have to worry about males spreading their pollen. this is IMO best option then the girls have a great chance @ making it from storms & animals. do start a GJ for us & we will like ya more...j/k lol

:ciao: GD.. sounds like ya got ya a good piece of Land...They are some Aussies here but aint seen them around for a while..September is the start of Fall here..and like Docfish said start everything inside and transfer to the outdoors when big enough to fight off the elamenets..share with us here if ya like and we can help the best we can..enjoy you Hobby me friend

take care and be safe

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

036.JPG

Welcome GD, keep us posted on your progress it sounds like you have a nice set up there.
Hey 4U2, I like your mound and drip emmiter system you got. I use raised beds and soaker hoses but think your set up would probably work better for delivering fertilizer to just the plants as opposed to what I'm doing now wich is fertilizing the whole garden bed.
I just harvested my first tomatos (not counting my cherry tomatos, been harvesting those for 2+ weeks). I got 3 better boy hybrids and 2 striped german, as well as 6 romas. Cooked them up yeseterday in a pasta sauce, boy where they good. Can't wait till the harvest gets into full swing. I should be doing my first major harvest of peppers by the end of the week.
I love growing my own, regardless of what it is.
Good luck and good gardening.

Thoght i'd drop in here for a few..heres a pic of this yrs garden. This place never had one so double dug with manure and other goodies. drip system for watering.
The tom's are 5' easy and showing some fruit now (green of course) already going to move the whole she-bang next year due to too much shade.
I'll also be making my own "green house" outta pvc pipe and fittings and covered with ground cloth to kepp the 100 plus temps at bay..

tom's.jpg

:ciao: everyone...

cubby....I started useing drip systems years ago for a few reasons..one you mentioned..I want only the plants to get fed..and also find I do less weeding when the dirt around doesnt get wet..and saves on water consumption:aok: I move my crops around in here..so I dont always have tomatoes in same area...last summer it was Pumkin and corn and only 1 MJ plant in a container..I also had raised beds at old house do to rocky ground..i loved those as well..many bennafits..how about some updated pics?

meds4me..i am getting toms on but still green..this washington weather is been real nice this summer huh? and i dont see a chance of rain for atleast anoth week:yay: cant make out the pic that well due to the chain fence..but see a lot of green:D

Zipflip???? any new things in you Garden?

Docfish???? whats ya got growing outside? throw it up:lama:

take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

yup!! finally got few tom's startin to put out an flowers everywhere and basically they growin all outward now an not so much up.
forgot to grab pix today when was out there but will tomorrow im sure.
i wish my mj would grow this good. im bout say heck wit it an just plant a few girls among the tom's next year if i can get a fence up at least maybe.
got a few peppers comin in finally too.
on my second round of radishes. onions goin good and my beets are just monsters too.
i just mixed blood bone and kelp meal lime and powder egg shells in everything before planting and since i've hit everythin wit fish emulsions 5-1-1
and the last feeding on the toms i added some my liquid Kool Bloom to the fish emulsions and wow they shot out liek they got dosed wit some steroids :hubba: lol
pix tomorrow guys.

My updated garden pics.:D
Pic 1: This is my sweet pepper raised bed. I put the lawwn chair in the back to give an idea of the plants hieght. I don't usually have that chair there, staring at that fence is not my idea of enjoying the garden.
Pic2: Can't see to well because of the foliage and peppers still being the same color, but there are plenty of peppers growing in there.
Pic 3: These are my better boy hybrids. Still green obviously but plenty healthy, and lots of them.
Pic 4: Tjis is a German striped tom. It dose'nt look very large in the pic but it's about the size of a baseball.
Pic 5: These are my romas. Probably my favorite for canning. They make great sause.
Pic 6: More large toms.
Pic 7: My chili peppers and onions in a raised bed.
Pic 8: My tomato garden in the greenhouse fame. Bell pepper garden in the background, my MJ plants in the foreground. Thier NL, I believe they've reached thier full hieght and are now starting to fill out.
Pic 9: General pic of side garden.
Pic 10: More MJ, orphaned hostas in pots on the ground, grape vines cover the fence. The grapes attract dozens of cardinals, (the birds not the ball players).
Pic 11: MJ standind tall and happy in the garden.

yard & garden 035.jpg

yard & garden 036.jpg

yard & garden 037.jpg

yard & garden 038.jpg

yard & garden 039.jpg

yard & garden 040.jpg

yard & garden 041.jpg

yard & garden 042.jpg

yard & garden 043.jpg

yard & garden 044.jpg

yard & garden 045.jpg

Tom's and cantalopes are comin along nicely. Cantalopes are actually taking over the corn and herb's. Had to harvest the basil/thyme/oregano last nite due to the cant's being so active. Some 40 flower heads showing baby cant's ! Tom's are the same over a dozen plants and going to have serious crop there...

1st 3 shots are of some my beef steak Toms.. and some flowers and one the toms startin o the vines. got 4 other ones just bout same size. and a bunch load of tiny ones poppin out everywhere.
i have to say im impressed wit myself for a 1st time vegie gardener. lol

4th shot is of my zuchini

5th is of my small cucumber patch. had a bunch that never came up for some reason.

6TH shot is of my beets and peppers in the row behind the beets.
anyone have any idea as to why my bell peppers all of em have looked all droopy they whole lives so far? is this normal for them. plus they was [planted same time as the toms but are far more puny/runty lol :confused2: lol there a few tiny peppers startin on them tho. mopst all them have starts or flowers at least on em. but tehy just so tiny the plants...?

7th shot is just the garden as a whole.
i got some roma toms. 6 them and various bell peppers all over the place to fill in spots lol. I LOVE PEPPERS MMMMMM i like to eat em like apples even.
got sum onions sum corn some strawberries on one corner, not in pic tho.
sum scatteredd basil and marigolds around border of garden on 2 sides, radishes, have 2 random types melon, but cannot for the life of me remembre wat kind mellon. they around the zuchini sumwhere so tehy all look same to me as of yet.
an out a whole row of carrot seeds sewed only bout 10 came up was all. dangit. i like carrots too. lol

Hey zip,
Your garden looks pretty good. I don't see anything wrong with your peppers. Mine are a little over two feet tall but I started mine inside in the early spring. As long as they get enough water and sunshine they'll do fine. I like your assortment.
Good luck and good growing.

thanks cubby!!
yeah i had a later start than i wanted wit my peppers. i did start them same time indoors as my toms tho ..

I don't see anything wrong with your peppers
they dont seem quite a bit droopy to you? or do they naturally suppose to look this way?
im a have to google round on growin pepers. thats the only thing i hadnt done really. most i've found so far said that tey like a constant feeding and dig peat like soil most. so when i planted them i did peat moss compost, and potting soil(organic) blood bone kelp meal and lime. and been ferting wit fish emul 5-1-1 every two weeks or so. been gettin rain onaverage every 3-4 days. and decent rains too. but water if needed wit sprinklers.
i got so many kinds bell pepeprs too. kaleidescopes calif bells, some that are called black bells:confused2: lol and few other diff kinds i cant remember. all i know is tehy all diff sorted colors.
but you got red TOMS already huh?
i cant wait todo the measuring of the largest TOM of the year tho. :hubba:
gonna have to look into sum tomato bloom boosters now.
you use anythin special for ya toms cubby?

Howdy! zip, don't fret your peppers. I fancy myself a pretty good gardener and I am hit or miss with peppers, no matter what I do, or which bed I try them in. They humble me. This year's challenges are the leaves are turned upside down and some of the peppers are rotting when half ripe. Do you all know what a fused blossom is? Tomatoes do it. Two or more flowers are pollinated right next to each other and the fruit grows as one. You can get monster tomatoes. I have one on a mortgage lifter. I hope it takes off. They tend to be ugly because it's usually three sided with distinct lobes, scars, etc. But, for giant mater contests, they rule! I saw one last year that was bigger than the judging chart it sat on. It won!

Hey Zip,
If your peppers are going 3-4 days between watering that may be the reason they are a bit droopy. I water mine every couple of days or they will get droopy and the leaves kind of curl. But my peppers are in raised beds so deep watering isn't as benificial. The best piece of advice I can give on this is water a little more often and watch what happens. Peppers are pretty forgiving, they can be de all droopy and bad looking and a couple hours after a good watering they hop right up and look like they never were stessed at all.
As far as additives to my garden soil, I don't do anything special. My raised beds are filled with peat moss, composted cow manuer, top soil, and the previous years garden leavings composted over the winter. I don't add any additional fertilizers. I watch my tomatos really good to make sure they don't get any kind of blight, if they do I bag that up and toss it in the trash. If you put blight riddled tomato leaving in your compost pile it will over winter and infect the soil next year.
Good luck with your garden, you'll really appreciate the spoils of you labor the first time you bite into your own veggies.
Take care.
I went back and looked at your first pic, with the big tom, and after taking a good look at the peppers in the lower left corner I would say they deffinetly need more water. How much sun do they get? Peppers ,like tomatos, need alot of sun and plenty of water to thrive.

Latest posts

Back