largest tomato competition

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i cant wait for my beets to be done too. i got a corner of the row of em in the last pic i put up. oh man i love creamed beets . YUMMY!!!

Hey Zip,
Your right the 3rd pic is bannana peppers.
You say you need to space out your toms a little more, maybe not. My toms are only 18" apart, but I pinch off the latteral shoots, called suckers. My toms are'nt as full as yours but they are about 6 ft tall. When you pinch off the suckers you get less toms in number but get twice as much in volume. In other words you get less tomatos but what you get are all large and they tend to mature in uniform waves. Uniform matuity is impotant when you want to can them up.
If you have the same planting area available to you next season you can explore succession plant, companion planting, and a host of other techniques that get the most out of the garden area as well as length of season.
Good luck and good growing.

i'll prolly be tillin up a diff section of yard for next year tho. im noticing its not the greatest for sun but obviously its workin either way. lol

When you pinch off the suckers you get less toms in number but get twice as much in volume.
you talkin same principal as pullin sucker branches etc off mj plants?

zipflip said:
you talkin same principal as pullin sucker branches etc off mj plants?

Yes it's essentially the same principal. I also wait untill I harvest the first set of tomatos, the lowest on the plants, then trim up everything up to 12" from the ground. The more foliage you have closer to the ground the more suseptable your plants are to tomato blight.

thanks cubby. i'll have to keep this in mind come time then.
tomato blight
same as wats referred to as blossom rott right?

No blossum rot starts where the fruit meets the stem, But tomato blight effects the entire plant starting where the soil meets the stem. Ounce tomato blight sets in a home gardener cant relisticly fight it. The cost of chemicals nessasary to keep it at bay isn't worth the loss of a home garden. You can't even compost plants with tomato blight because they'll just infect the next years garden. Right now on the east coast they've just discovered that Walmart has benn selling tomato plants infected with blight.
My phylosophy has always been pretty much stay natural. Anything that can harm your plant from nature can be fought off through natural means. Wheather that means denificial insects or natural biotanical application, it's always better than trusting big money chemical companies (just like phamasuticle companies they make their money not by curing but by treating and maintaining the problem). Natural treatments are always cheapest and most reliable.

Right now on the east coast they've just discovered that Walmart has benn selling tomato plants infected with blight.
hmmmm. i got few peppers wit this funky brownish black color stuff at all the nodes on few them. ya think that wat that is? and coincidentally those particular ones i picked up at wal-mart when they was all on clearance. the rest i did myself from seed..
hmm hek im a go out grab a pic an show ya. maybe ya can pin point it for me.?
it kinda baffles me a bit.

here i just ran out for a pic of it on the one pepper taht has it most.
is this nrmal or somethin wrong?

That is completely normal, acctualy a good thing. That is caused by stress from the wieght of the branches swaying in the wind. It means you have a good internal repair system.
you're all set.
Good luck and good growing.

sweet!
at least i dont have to worry bout it now.
thanks cubby.
you know ya gardnin im guessin :)
i woulda neverthunk in a million years til now that id ever get into the whole gardenin bit.
i mean im fairly young yet and not the type to do gardening to say the lest.
if ya knew me youd know wat im sayin lol
but i dig it.

Hello everyone...Zipflip...gardening in general is very relaxing to me...glad to hear ya enjoy it..take care and be safe

027.JPG

028.JPG

028-1.JPG

029.JPG

033.JPG

i sure wish i had the guts to put some girls next to my toms tho. but no way in town for me lol
im glad i went wit a graden over growin my toms in pots tho. they so much easier now when i look at wat igot to do to take care a garden vs wat i got do to keep my girls inside happy in pots. i could only imagine the nitemare if i woulda put them in pots. lol
it'd be a headache for me
my toms dont seem to wanna be all perky like yours tho. mine are justthick as heck in the middle witthem in cages. shoulda made my own bigger cage deals.

Hey all,
I totally agree with the sentiment that gardening is relaxing. On a sunny day I can just sit out on my deck smoke a bowl, sip a little homebrew and watch the garden for hours. It's great to be out there looking at the veggies and wondering how much of a harvest I'm gonna bring in.
I think the biggest challenge is knowing when you've reached your limits. There's just so much weeding and maintainance a person can do. At the end of every harvest I start planning next years garden. It's my personal phylosophy that you should try at least one new plant each year but always maintain your basic group of standards. My basic group always include peppers, tomatos, and culinary herbs. This year my new plant is onions, I've planted around 300 of them. Wheather or not they become a standard depends on how they preform in my garden, but so far they are looking really promissing.
Take care and good growing.

hey cubby, zip, & 4u. have any of you grown potatoes? im curious cause this is my 1st year plant. i should of researched, but they were "bonus" plants. meaning i went to til my garden end of april & found tater plants 6" tall. threw em out to compost & walla. im guessing i shouldve planted then mounded, but i mounded then planted. also found dozen mj plants that i couldnt keep 8-( . 4u every time i look @ ur plants outside it brings a tear 2 my eye. im jealous but very happy 4 u. everyones gardens are kickin ***. keep it up! peace

never grown taters myself but use to help grandma inher garden when i was a kid diggin em up tho :)
this my first time ever havin a garden myself
i just went out to check them this evening after the rain we been gettin lately today a full day of sun an my are things goin nuts in there. lol
i so wish i could have a row of MJ goin on in there midst it all. but i in city limits an my garden is very visible to anybody who drives/walks by :-(
time to build a prison wall round the garden :hubba:

docfishwrinkle said:
hey cubby, zip, & 4u. have any of you grown potatoes? im curious cause this is my 1st year plant. i should of researched, but they were "bonus" plants. meaning i went to til my garden end of april & found tater plants 6" tall. threw em out to compost & walla. im guessing i shouldve planted then mounded, but i mounded then planted. also found dozen mj plants that i couldnt keep 8-( . 4u every time i look @ ur plants outside it brings a tear 2 my eye. im jealous but very happy 4 u. everyones gardens are kickin ***. keep it up! peace

Hey Doc..I am not growing Taters this year..but will tell ya they will take over the garden if not dug up completely...Here hold this :bong1: WHILE I TRY AND EXPLAIN HOW I GROW m

take 1/2 in chicken whire and lay on ground where you are going to grow them...place a used car tire over the wire..this keeps varments and the patatoes from growing everywhere..now fill tire up with good soil..place another tire on top of first one..place patatoes with eyes in soil and cover with soil..the plants start tto grow..add more tires and burry the plant..I keep doing this untill i have 6 tires satacked..then come Harvest I simply knock over the tires and pick up the patatoes..

Hope this helps..now give me my :bong1: back:p

4u2sm0ke said:
Hey Doc..I am not growing Taters this year..but will tell ya they will take over the garden if not dug up completely...Here hold this :bong1: WHILE I TRY AND EXPLAIN HOW I GROW m

take 1/2 in chicken whire and lay on ground where you are going to grow them...place a used car tire over the wire..this keeps varments and the patatoes from growing everywhere..now fill tire up with good soil..place another tire on top of first one..place patatoes with eyes in soil and cover with soil..the plants start tto grow..add more tires and burry the plant..I keep doing this untill i have 6 tires satacked..then come Harvest I simply knock over the tires and pick up the patatoes..

Hope this helps..now give me my :bong1: back:p

I do the exact same thing, without the chicken wire. What atvantage does the chicken wire provide?

..but will tell ya they will take over the garden if not dug up completely...
wat exactly you mean by take over the garden 4U?
im plannin on doin tatrs next year tho so this is new to me an interested in it.

Patatoes are tubers..and keep multiplying...the chicken wire keeps them from spredding..and also keeps the moles and other Rodants away..I did patatoes years ago in me Moms garden..and i swear you can still dig patatoes up:giggle: thats when i learned of the tires..hope this helps

Latest posts

Back