Light question on clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallword

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm just getting started on cloning and I have a question about their light needs. I read in the basic instructions that are posted on this forum (thanks!) that clones are fine with a 1 x 2 ft flourescent shop light or a compact flourescent.

My question: my clones won't really have much ambient light, as the windows in my grow room are covered. And they aren't very close to the grow lights, as my big plants are hogging those. So given that small amount of ambient light, are the above recommendations still good?

Thanks!

I dont think ambient light is too great for rooting clones, but it will probably work and may take longer. I've had a 100% success rate using an 18 watt flouro fixture, very easy to set-up, very basic.

Clones don't need any light to root, however, once they spring those roots, they'll want a light source to start growing with asap, and since you never know when they'll actually stick out their roots, its good to have alight for em on hand. Ambient light will work fine, however, to get them rooted.

I used a 2ft tube above my clones and they were bang on.
Room was pretty dark too so the 2ft light deffinatly gave em enough light.
Its all they got till i put em in coco and you should see them now

Latest posts

Back