Lighting for seedlings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growboy19

Reaction score
Will an incandecent bulb work for the first few days of sprouting? If not what is recommended? Is it ok to just stick them under a MH or HPS when they are so little? Thanks for any help.

just about any kind of floro bulb will be more than good enough to carry the plants through their first 2 weeks....go for anything (CFL's are the easiest to use) in the 5100K or higher spectrum...try to use atleast 100w , increaseing wattage as needed.....400w of floro light in the right spectrum will most likely provide the best ideal conditions and optimum veggie growth for 4-6 plants..

ya i know cfl's would be ideal, however i'm only gonna grow a couple plants to start, and just want to know if an incandescent could get me by those first few days. i would get some cfl's but i got a real tight budget right now, and i just want to buy what i absolutely need. I do have one small florescent light (like 10" long), would that be enough?

i guess i'll just go with my MH and keep the bulb further away until the plants are strong enough for the light to be lowered down. That seem reasonable?

growboy19 said:
i guess i'll just go with my MH and keep the bulb further away until the plants are strong enough for the light to be lowered down. That seem reasonable?

Its been working for me, and a good way at that. IMO, giving plants optimal light at all times.

growboy19 said:
as long as the light is'nt so far that the plants stretch to find enough...then yes that to is ideal..if you notice your plants begining to stretch then try better reflective materials. i spread perlite under the plants for that purpose..

growboy19 said:
ya i know cfl's would be ideal, however i'm only gonna grow a couple plants to start, and just want to know if an incandescent could get me by those first few days. i would get some cfl's but i got a real tight budget right now, and i just want to buy what i absolutely need. I do have one small florescent light (like 10" long), would that be enough?
any added light will help. cept for halogen and incandecents....they suck for growing MJ...and just about any other plant..

Latest posts

Back