My First Grow and Post EVER

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well here it goes. This is the first ever thing I have post in any forum anywhere. I figure if I am gonna do it there is no better place then here:hubba: . I have started using organic soil mixed with perlite and some other stuff. To be honest I don't remember all what I used for my original mix it was around a month ago that I put it together.

Since this is my first grow I have been treating each plant a little differently. The first 4 I started are all from the same bud. I have no clue what strain it is and it has long since been smoked so I can't even give you a pic. I do know that out of a lb that I had I got 19 seeds. I have only used 5.

I started 4 seeds in small compressed peat starter pots (3'' pots), 1 seed went into a 10 inch pot. 1 of the 4 in the 3'' pots didn't make it. Could have been because I accidently knocked it out the window, but who can be sure. :hubba: Once the other 3 busted out of their shell and got some leaves I transplanted them into 10" pots as well.

DSCF0043.JPG

DSCF0041.JPG

DSCF0045.JPG

DSCF0044.JPG

At this point I decided to get serious and do things right. I went online and read forums for hours and journals for days. I stopped for a couple days to let it all sink in then read it all again.

I had to slowly build up the lighting that I am using which currently (hehehe get it) using which is 2 Plant Floros and 4 Cool White Floros, all 4 footers. and I have 6500K CFLs to supplement. I recieved my 430w ballast yesterday for a Son Agro bulb that will be used for flowering. I will get a second one for vegging within the month.

For the first few weeks I used distilled water for watering. then I used 1/4 strength 8-7-6 ferts once a week and distilled water the rest of the time.
I am now using Earth Juice Grow 2-1-1 with every water. I also Have Earth Juice Bloom 0-3-1 for some of the flowering.

Initially I was going to leave the walls in the closet flat white, but have since decided to use mylar.

So I may have said I was going to treat each plant a little different. I figure this is my first grow I gotta experiment some. I started LSTing one of the plants. I topped one which was transplanted into a 14' pot. The one that started in the 10" pot was left alone. For the fourth, I found a non-smoker with a huge(And I mean HUGE. 68 different species of roses and that is only one small area of the whole thing.)garden that has graciously let me have some garden space.

So now I am down to caring for 3 plants and leaving the last to mother nature. This was about 2 weeks ago.

The plant that I have been LSTing has been growing great once it got some more soil to work with. It is going to be a beast. The plant that I topped and transplanted into the 14" pot has been a little stunted. I should have waited for the plant to recover from being topped before transplanting. It has been growing but very slowly. But thats ok. The plant I left in the original pot with too little soil has also been growing slow but I am pretty sure I can figure out why. :hubba: I havent been to see the outdoor plant since I put it in the ground but I hear it is doing well.

So thats a quick runthrough from start to now-ish.

The first 2 pics are the LSTed plant. The third pic is the undersoiled plant that hasn't been messed with. Followed by a pic to show how much I underfilled. The last pic is of the topped plant in the largest pot.

I will try to get a pic of the one left to Mother Nature in the next couple days.

DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0016.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG

DSCF0018.JPG

DSCF0019.JPG

Thanks for the mojo! I hope things go well and they don't end up males. I plan on moving the others to my flowering box in another week of so. It won't be long before I can sex them. I already have 4 sprouts of Durban Poison started and ready to go. The DP will be able to start vegging 2 days after I start flowering the other. Once I thoroughly clean everything.

I was somebody. Who, is no business Of yours

-overheard

:holysheep:

Congrats. Looking good. I am also on my first time through and doing my fair share of experimenting. Looking forward to seeing the ones left to mother nature.

Ok, you got me Hick. :) I have grown lots of plants just never MJ.;)

I tried to pull the garlic out of one of the pots (the one I underfilled) and it was completely root bound. So I finally broke down and filled the rest of the pot. I'm pretty sure the little lady(I hope) liked it.

Heres a couple quick pics. One of each plant. I was able to get a pic of the one left to mother nature as well.:hubba: I had dome nitrogen def. in one of the plants. It lost a number (with my help) of shade leaves. I think I got the nutes worked out tho.

Not that it means a whole lot but all 4 seeds came out of the same bud. I may have mentioned that but I can't remember. I blame the strawberry cough:hubba:

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0035.JPG

DSCF0038.JPG

OK so I am just waiting for my HPS light socket to show up and then I can assemble my flowering box. It will be kept in a secure room that is kept at right around 70.

A converted wardrobe that will have 4 4" PVC light traps 2 with fans that move 120cfm each at the top in the back.. The other 2 PVC lighttraps will act as passive intakes. I have made a DIY cooltube (pyrex bake-a-round) that just needs a light socket. For the cooltube I will have one fan on exhaust at the top on the side.. The other end will be a passive intake at the bottom. A 430w ballast (kept outside the box) and a 430w Agro Son bulb. There will be 4-6 cfls to supplement the light.
I have mylar to wrap the entire inside of the box. I still have to get some good timers for the HPS light and the supplemental CFLs. There will also be 6 bottle holders. 1 in each corner 2 in the middle that will hold DIY co2 bottles.

Thats all i can think of right now. If anyone sees something I forgot let me know... I may have overlooked something or I may have just forgotten to get it down here.

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

Well I got my mogul base socket. I assembled my DIY cooltube. Took it apart and modified it a bit and now have it all set. I have set it up to test for the next 2 days. I want to make sure the ventilation is going to be enough. I might only give it 36 hours to test (2 on cycles, 1 off) just because 2 plants are ready to start flowering.

I lost another one to what I think was fungus. All shade leaves below the top 2 inches of new growth got largeish brown spots while curling up. My Ph was a touch high (6.7) but not high enough to block nutes. So I decided that I had overwatered and kept the humidity too high. I have separated this plant and will be planting it outside once I sex it.

I also have 4 plants(2 Durban Poison, 2 Unknown Freebies) that are ready to start vegging. I plan on redesigning my Veg closet. I will be switching a 4-bulb 4ft fluoro fixture with 2 2-bulb 4ft fixtures. I have 4 6500k bulbs that give off about 13000 lumens. With 2 fixtures I will be able to control the light footprint better.

DSCF0008.JPG

DSCF0012.JPG

DSCF0014.JPG

DSCF0015.JPG

Latest posts

Back