My first grow, give me some advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO I really think that if those seeds don't mean all that much to you, I'd start over man. I mean, those things are taller than my month old plants. And they look kinda yellow from lack of light. Look through some journals, ask questions... whatever you have to do to learn the basics the easy way. I mean it's not a total loss... you just learned the hard way that the plants need light as soon as they are out of the dirt. I germ in a wet paper towel and put it in a warm dark place because the roots don't like light. Then when they are germinated I place them in a small pot individually and put them under light so as soon as they do pop up, they got plenty of life giving light.

thanks for the advices. i have a question, i just finally recieved my hps/mh light. anyway my question is, should the intake/exhaust fan be on 24/7 or should i set it so the when the light comes on the fan comes on too? thanks again.

I leave my ventilation running 24/7. Remember they are in an airtight environment. They need air and the ventilation is all they have.

thanks yorker, i have 8inch intake/exhaust fan, my box is 2ftx2ftx4ft(tall). is it necessary to have a oscillating fan? eventho its a small growspace.

an oscillating fan isn't exactly what you need but some sort of fan should be used to help stiffen the steams. Personally, I am not using one on this grow to see how it works (just seeing why people say the things they do). But a fan should always be in the grow room.

my intake fan is located kind of in front of my plants, so it should be blowing directly at the plant. so its prolly be ok w/o an oscillating?

IMO yes, but some die hard people may say other wise. Anyone else have an opinion?

TruTHC said:
my intake fan is located kind of in front of my plants, so it should be blowing directly at the plant. so its prolly be ok w/o an oscillating?

Thats fine just watch temps.

Stunzeed..

i just took these pics, i kindda tied that stem so the leaves face the light.does that perlite and gravel thing look ok for my plants?or should i use something else? and that lighter....i got it from htgsupply it look like a beer opener, but its just funny why would they give me a beer opener with my grow? mayb its a stem scraper for clone? lol i dont know.

DSCN0387.JPG

DSCN0393.JPG

DSCN0394.JPG

DSCN0396.JPG

It's so you can crack open a beer and watch your babies grow.

My opinion on the fan is that is does promote a thicker stem. I grew without a fan and it was a constant pain. Trying to get them babies light without burning was a task. All I have on mine are some tower fans. I keep my closet door open. And for smell I use fans with the negative ion charge thingy. So far so good. I know in the room my lil Cristol smells but it don't build up.

ok, i finally transplanted my babies lastnite and finally in growbox and proper lights! well i mite need bigger reflector, but i have the plant about a foot away from the light. last nite i dont see the burn look but i check this morning and i see it, i place my hand right above the plant to see if its too hot for my hand but it dont seem hot to me. it is about 85 degree F and 23humidity. the one with the burnt leaves i didnt give it any neut. is the burn from heat or lack or too much of something? should i give it some neut now? thanks for all the help. o the and heres a pic of my ghetto box.

DSCN0397.JPG

DSCN0400.JPG

DSCN0402.JPG

DSCN0403.JPG

DSCN0404.JPG

DSCN0399.JPG

Your plants are too young to be in the hydro system. You should grow them in either rockwool or peat pellets until the roots grow thru the rockwool or pellets. Once the roots are well established, they are moved into hydro.

Your plants are tiny babies. Way too soon for hydro.

Never use dirt to start a hydro plant. Always use either rockwool or peat pellets.

What size is your light? If it's a 400 watt, it should be at no closer than 18 inches. 24 for seedlings.

Seriously, I doubt your tiny seedlings will survive this. Go ahead and start some seeds again after you buy the peat pellets or rockwool 4 inch cubes and put the seedlings into that until the roots are growing from the cube.

Good luck.

thanks stoney, thats the info i needed. ok so after they germ i should put them in rockwool until theres more roots? i just brought some 1.5in rockwool, so i just soak the rockwool then put the sprouted seed in rockwool with taproot facing downward, then put it in a ziplock and in a warm dark place?

TruTHC said:
thanks stoney, thats the info i needed. ok so after they germ i should put them in rockwool until theres more roots? i just brought some 1.5in rockwool, so i just soak the rockwool then put the sprouted seed in rockwool with taproot facing downward, then put it in a ziplock and in a warm dark place?
No. You put the sprouted seeds into the rockwool, gently squeeze the rockwool closed so that the tap root is in direct contact with something, wet the rockwool and just put it on a dish. After germinating, light is needed by the new seedling that will come from the cube. Not dark.

No nutes what so ever.

Bring the flos down until they are just a couple of inches from the cube.

Let the plant grow this way with the cube staying moist, until the roots are growing out of the cube. Prolly a week or so. Then you transplant them into hydro.

For future grows, the 4 inch rockwool cubes are better to do this in. It takes longer for the roots to penetrate the cube and the plant is stronger that way.

Good luck man!

62 degrees that seems to be to cold and they defenitly need more light

dj420 said:
62 degrees that seems to be to cold and they defenitly need more light

85degree sir.

but im germing more seeds, im gonna just start all over. ill take any info and use it for my next grow!

so should i poke some holes in my tray? i think im gonna use a good airtight tupper ware. should i give it floro light as soon as its in tupperware?

hmm, ok i should've thought about the attic b4 trying it, but my box will be in the attic its about 20-50F here, and in the summer it get hot but i think i have enuff vent to keep the air cool up there, but my question is, what can i do to keep out the cold, well when my mh light is on the plant is about 80-90 degree but when the light is off it get really cold, can someone give me some advice on keeping that place warm in the winter. keep in mind that i have 8'' exhaust and 8'' intake, those are some pretty big holes. thanks for the help guys

Latest posts

Back