My First Hydroponic Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone, well it is time for this week's update. I was away from home for a few days this week and there was an explosion of growth in the ladies this week. I have not taken measurements this week but the growth is obvious to the eye in both height and fullness of the plants. The foilage growth from the node sites has increased drastically also.

I also have moved all 10 of the ladies (hopefully) to the blooming area, however I have not started them on the blooming cycle yet... I was just running out of room in the Propagation system.

The preflowers that I thought I saw on #1 last week just turned out to be another node forming and the pistils turned out to be new leaf tips.. My bad heh.

Right now for light I am just using 2, 2 bulb florescent shop lights, 3000K and 3400 lumens per bulb. I am also using 4 CFLs at 23 watts each 6500K and I think 1700 lumens per bulb. My HPS light has not come in yet and should be here this week sometime, but I am still vegging atm and they dont seem to be stretching too much at this time.

I also have a visitor in the garden today, a ladybug has come to check out the ladies.... I welcomed her and hope that she does not find any food heh. This time of year ladybugs are very common in the houses around here, so I figure in the next few weeks I will find several more around the house and will give them a good home for the winter.

In the pictures you will see that I am using the clear storage tubs for the trays... Right after I took the pictures I covered the clear plastic tubs with black construction plastic to shed out the light and keep algae from growing.

Any comments or questions are welcome, Thanks for checking this gow out.

day 32ish 001.jpg

day 32ish 002.jpg

day 32ish 003.jpg

day 32ish 004.jpg

day 32ish 005.jpg

day 32ish 006.jpg

day 32ish 007.jpg

day 32ish 008.jpg

Well, hey everyone, it's been a while since I posted an update. not a whole lot going on in the last 3 weeks. I just started the ladies into the blooming 12/12 cycle. I also took a couple cuttings from the 6 of the 10 strongest plants in hopes of a few of them being girls. My first attempt at cloning. They got pretty wilty the first day or 2, but have since bounced back and I think they are goin to make it. I also just got in my 400 watt HPS light from HTG and added it to the 2 80 watt shop lights with 3400 Lumen/3000 K bulbs. I have moved all 4 of the CFL clamp lights to the clones and will have to enclose the clone area to protect the bloom center from light... currently the entire room is on 12/12.

PS: I also used just a tad of Liquid Karma on the clones, thought it could not hurt and I think they like it 8).

Anyway, I will let the pics speak for themselves. Any questions just holler :hubba:

bloom week 1 001.jpg

bloom week 1 002.jpg

bloom week 1 003.jpg

bloom week 1 004.jpg

bloom week 1 005.jpg

bloom week 1 006.jpg

bloom week 1 007.jpg

bloom week 1 008.jpg

bloom week 1 009.jpg

bloom week 1 010.jpg

Well, I got some good news and some bad news..... 10 plants been under 12/12 for about 6 days now.... and I have some confirmations... Got to love bagseed heh.....I have 2 confirmed males (one of which I may keep.. I like the way he grew and may cross him with another....) I also have 2 or 3 confirmed females one of which ma be a hermie.... the hermie looks like it has hairs on the top couple nodes and on the bottom few it looks like bawls..... so I am torn.,. I think I will give 'it' a few more days to make sure and ONLY cause it is beautiful #1.......... it would almost make me sick to lose that one heh......I will post some pics prolly tomorrow...

Oh and the news gets worse.... the 2 definite confirmed Fems are 2 of the weaker p[lants that I did not take clones off of..... so that is NOT a good thing heh.......shite

Well it has been a pretty nice couple weeks.... out of the original 10 seeds that germinated, I have 7 confirmed females, 2 males that are dead and one hermie. I have kept the hermie just because he/she/it is the best looking plant in the bunch and well he is only putting out 1 pollen sack on about 4 limbs so far and I just plucked them off... and his flowers are starting to get rather pretty. In fact, all 4 of the indica dominant plants are really starting to put out some nice looking lil nugs 8). and the Sativas are starting to come along nicely now also.

Now for the interesting news.... so far I am 100% for cloning... it is not as nearly as difficult as I made it out to be in my mind. and the only bad thing once I culled the male clones out of the bunch, I took a couple extra off of... You guessed it, Da Hermie LOL. So now I have a total of 5 clones from it and 2 clones from the second strongest female plant and 1 from each of the other 3. So for batch number 3, I will probably clone out one of the 2's pretty thin.

I dont have time to do pictures today, but I will probably post up some this weekend or middle of next week after they put on a lil more weight.:hubba:

Take care all and thanks for looking.

Looks great! dont risk your beutiful plants with that hermi, if one of those pops and you dont find it your hole grow could turn seeded and it will lose all potency if to many seeds.
Also its hard to clean up and can pollenate future crops.

Yea, I am keeping a close eye on that on.. I think I have decided to do a lil experiment with some LST on it..... turn him on it's side and see how it goes....also, by turning him that way.. it will be easier to make sure i got them all plucked 8).

CasualGrower said:
Yea, I am keeping a close eye on that on.. I think I have decided to do a lil experiment with some LST on it..... turn him on it's side and see how it goes....also, by turning him that way.. it will be easier to make sure i got them all plucked 8).

Just kill it you have nothing to gain by keeping it.

Well the pics for week 2 bloom are in and there are some sweet nugs starting.

The second and 5th pic are the top of basically one plant... lots of colas started....

Growdude.. I killed the hermie and trying to tie down another plant in pic 3.

Pic 1 is one that just went nuts stretching like crazy since put on 12/12.

Pic 6 looks a sativa dom plant with nuglets everywhere and the last pic is the clones.... looks like I may lose one... but the rest look good.

bloom week 2 011.jpg

bloom week 2 012-1.jpg

bloom week 2 014-1.jpg

bloom week 2 013-1.jpg

bloom week 2 016-1.jpg

bloom week 2 015-1.jpg

bloom week 2 017-1.jpg

Just a quick update this week... I culled out another plant today, she was putting all her energy into growth and was really out of control and was not putting anything into bud, so to conserve space and make room for the 1st set of clones to go into the garden, she gave her life.

I also cleaned out and did a full water change today. (this was the first complete water change for the grow).

The buds are starting o put on a lil more weight now... and the they are looking GREAT!:hubba:

bloom week 2 001.jpg

bloom week 2 002.jpg

bloom week 2 003.jpg

bloom week 2 004.jpg

bloom week 2 005.jpg

bloom week 2 006.jpg

bloom week 2 007.jpg

bloom week 2 008.jpg

bloom week 2 009.jpg

how did you create your set up? I like the tops where you can put the pots. Did you have to drill the holes yourself or do the tops of the container come like that?

They are just underbed storage containers that came with lids and I just cut the holes in the tops with a razor knife to fit the 5" pots from the hydro store. The containers were clear when I bought them. and i just wrapped them in black plastic to keep the light from the roots and no algae.

Well it looks like I might have developed a lil problem in the garden..... I have a bunch of fan leaves on several of the plants turning yellow with some brown spots... Not sure what is going on....

Conditions...
PH 5.5
PPM. 1200 ish
Humididty 50-60%
Temps 65 -75.
Going into week 6 flower...

I am not able to post any pics at the moment, but will do tomorrow.....

If anyone has any Ideas, gimme a holler pls.

I did cut one bud and gonna dry and sample it in a few days.

Well today was a busy day.... From the clone I got on my #2 plant, I cut her down today and took 15 cuttings from her. She is pretty much done for now, but I do have another clone from #2 in case for some reason none of these live. About 11 or 12 of the cuttings should be Viable, I am not too confident on the other 3 or 4.

*** EDIT *** WOW i hate the first day or 2 after cutting..... Cut +5 hours.... Oh man, those kids are limpy heh. *** EDIT ***

*** EDIT *** Well I went in at 3 am before I went to work and they are already looking better.... starting to turn around that wilty look and reach for the light, so i sprayed them down and went to work....*** EDIT ***

I also cleaned up the garden a bit on the first grow. I trimmed out some of the dead and browning leaves, basically I trimmed any leaves over 60 % yellow/brown. Garden looks pretty good and clean now... I am getting excited, getting close to my first real harvest.

The actual look of the garden has not changed too much in the last week or so, so I wont waste server space with more pics... Next pics will probably be harvest pics.

If ya want to see some fresher pics....: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21241
Post 7 has a few that were taken a couple days ago.

Wow....Everything looks great man! Keep it up and i hope those clones grow up nicley :)

New clones are 2 days into life..... I will prolly start a new journal once I get tham all rooted and established into a new grow.

They are all offa 2nd Gen clone of that FABULOUS #2 clone... making my 3rd grow a 3rd Gen grow........ I hope they all are like momma and grandma heheheeh

Latest posts

Back