New Grow- 400W Closet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmToTable

Reaction score
Hello-

I'm hoping to get a lot of feedback out of using this site. I am in the beginning of my first grow. Although I have been a part of a few other very nice operations...this is my first solo mission.

Ive never had the space to grow in my own house. I just moved a few months ago and now have this closet that I think will work ok...maybe not ideal.

I bought a 400W Light and (because I no longer have access to clones) started some bag seed from headies I've accumulated over the years. I figure I can get the bugs out with this bag seed and make sure my room is running right before I buy any genetics. Anyway. My name is FarmToTable...thanks everyone. :tokie:

I put a few photos in here...one or two may show that I burned them a little bit when they were young (only 2). I have 2 groups of plants that were started 3 weeks apart. No real reason...just worked out that way.

I need to sex these plants soon I think. I topped two of them...idk. Just having fun right now.

Ventilation goes in in a week. Right now its just door open with window in room open a little and a fan. Working quite well for now, but has to change soon. Plan is a 160 CFM inline fan that hooks directly to my bathroom exhaust fan ducting in the ceiling, and right outside.

FEEDBACK PLEASE. I have lots of questions. Oh and..no laughing.

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

Welcome to MP brosef....you might want to start this thread again in the grow journal section. You will get more feedback there. I wld say to keep an eye out for hermies when growing from bag seed. Good luck and green mojo.

Welcome to MP.

It looks like you have a good start on your grow. If you have not bought your fan get, you might want to go with a little larger CFM if possible. Without an air cooled hood, it is a little harder to control the temps. If you are connecting to your bathroom exhaust fan ducting, you are going to want some kind of flapper thing (can't remember what they are called) so that it does not exhaust into the bathroom. Air, like most other things, will take the path of least resistance.

Your plants are look good nice and bushy. One looks sick, but even if it doesn't make it, after weeding out males, you should have plenty of vegetation in that closet. As mentioned, watch out for hermies when you get to flowering--common with bagseed, especially really good bud that should be sensi.

I can move this to the Grow Journal section if you would like.

That would be great if you could move my post. Thank you very much.

The plants are seeing darkness for the first time tonight. Just want to run a quick cycle through the closet while I'm getting it finished. They all had 4-5 or 6 nodes and I topped a couple of them.

I'm aware of the high risk of having some hermies.but what early signs will I see while sexing? When will I be able to sex the plants...3-4 days?

I'll put some more photos up soon and Ill be doing my ventilation project this coming Thursday.

I could be way off but with the 6 plants I have I'm expecting to have 2 strong healthy females. And all I'm hoping for off this go is about an oz or 2 per plant.

My room is 2x3x7...not sure if I put that in before. When I transplant is it ok to do it into a different type of soil? I'm guessing it's fine..found a nice grow shop and want to upgrade.

Thanks everyone

FarmToTable said:
That would be great if you could move my post. Thank you very much.

The plants are seeing darkness for the first time tonight. Just want to run a quick cycle through the closet while I'm getting it finished. They all had 4-5 or 6 nodes and I topped a couple of them.

I'm aware of the high risk of having some hermies.but what early signs will I see while sexing? When will I be able to sex the plants...3-4 days?

With most plants alternating nodes will signify that they are sexually mature. At this time a steady eye might be able to find pre flowers and sex them. Sometimes I hve had to flip a plant with alternating nodes and no visible pre flowers to get it show sex.

I'll put some more photos up soon and Ill be doing my ventilation project this coming Thursday.

I could be way off but with the 6 plants I have I'm expecting to have 2 strong healthy females. And all I'm hoping for off this go is about an oz or 2 per plant.

My room is 2x3x7...not sure if I put that in before. When I transplant is it ok to do it into a different type of soil? I'm guessing it's fine..found a nice grow shop and want to upgrade.

What kind of soil are ya thinking about? I wld stay away from anything with those time release nutrients in them.

A diThanks everyone

:icon_smile:

I would wait a while to put them into 12/12. They need to be sexually mature (generally denoted by alternating nodes) before they will show sex or flower. This usually takes from 4-6 weeks--sometimes longer. I can understand wanting a quick turnaround, however you can only hurry things up so much. I am guessing that it is going to take at least a couple of weeks to sex them if your put them into 12/12 now. They will also stretch--which would kind of be a shame as they are so pretty and bushy now.

No reason to not expect 2 healthy female--you could have more. And with 2 plants in 6 sq ft with a 400W, 2-3 ozs per plant is realistic, even on your "first solo mission".

Just a nice organic mix. Bat Guano? Coco? right now I just have a generic bagge potting soil. I want to make sure I'm getting the males out on time. How obvious is it?

check my 1st journal bromigo. that's literally what I did for my 1st setup except I had genetics.

Hmmmm. Well the light is off for tonight and I switched to the HPS bulb. I think they will be ok.

I really do value everyone's opinion and I completely agree with you. I think I'm gonna leave them though. Ive got some fem seeds on the way and I'd rather put my time in to those. Especially with a hot summer on its way. And I don't want to cut early or skimp on finishing these so...I'm gonna get em on their way.

Hope it's too bad a decision.

I could definitely use some input on soil and nutrient. I bought some biobud...organic is somewhat important to me. Would consider others though. If there are any favorites throw em out there.

Thanks all.

going with good genetics was a good decision........green mojo

:48:

That's awesome...the closet looks exactly the same. Thanks man.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I would wait a while to put them into 12/12. They need to be sexually mature (generally denoted by alternating nodes) before they will show sex or flower. This usually takes from 4-6 weeks--sometimes longer. I can understand wanting a quick turnaround, however you can only hurry things up so much. I am guessing that it is going to take at least a couple of weeks to sex them if your put them into 12/12 now. They will also stretch--which would kind of be a shame as they are so pretty and bushy now.

No reason to not expect 2 healthy female--you could have more. And with 2 plants in 6 sq ft with a 400W, 2-3 ozs per plant is realistic, even on your "first solo mission".

Now I'm wishing I had waited a little bit longer actually...

mjrivers said:
check my 1st journal bromigo. that's literally what I did for my 1st setup except I had genetics.

Dude that looks great. I'm definitely aiming for smaller plants I think, so maybe I did switch at the right time. Do they really double or triple in size durring flowerig?

The light comes back on at 9 this AM. Kinda wondering if I switched bulbs an light cycle too early, or if I did it in ok time for what I'm trying to do her which is really small 1-2 oz plants for this grow.

I think I should just leave it...but if anyone thinks I should switch em back let me know. I'll put a few photos up today but the ones early on in my post are only a few days old.

Thanks

I saw a couple (mainly last pic) that look stretched a bit, how far away are you keeping the light and what are you using for veg lighting? I suspect it's the 400w, just making sure I understand!

CONGRATS on the new space to grow in, you're off to a great start!

FarmToTable said:
Dude that looks great. I'm definitely aiming for smaller plants I think, so maybe I did switch at the right time. Do they really double or triple in size durring flowerig?

Do they rally double/triple in size during flowing? The answer from my personal knowledge be they can in most cases they do in my grows so plans to make sure yual got to nough room for the flip. Much luck the trail yual walkin friend.

BWD

No problem, lots of people flip their plants early--it just affects yield and increases stretch, but all in all it is not harmful, per se. I have found that the more sativa a plant is, the more it stretches. The more indica a plant is the less it stretches. I can grow different strains side by side with the same light, environmental conditions, and training and the sativa is always bigger.

Once the plant starts flowering, it is very easy to distinguish the males and females and you have plenty of time to get them out. I do check every single day, however, if I put unsexed plants into 12/12.

I don't think they show any sign of nute burn. With nute burn you get burnt leaf tips and I see none. I am also just starting organics, so am going to be little help in that area. Do check out the soil mixtures in the Organic section.

Hey, how did you get the plants in the last picture to grow sideways?

Welcome and green mojo for the grow! Looks like you have a nice start.

Fox Farm Ocean forest is an all around good organic soil.

Latest posts

Back