Old School, Still Cool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My legs are way better looking. Only problem is mine are very very hairy. 😁😜

Love King Arthur's crust. The only thing I like to add at the end is a dusting of cornmeal on the bottom. Adds crispness.

now we are talking!
I do the same thing

it is all in the ratios of salt , flour , water ,, and yeast

i make my dough and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours before rolling it out

Love King Arthur's crust. The only thing I like to add at the end is a dusting of cornmeal on the bottom, underneath the crust. Adds crispness.
It also aids the pizza in sliding off the paddle into the oven. Nothing like giving a push, and the crust stays on the paddle and all your ingredients slide off into a blazing hot oven....fun fun.

Bubba

I'm a crust person....pizza, pie, bread whatever, ingredients? Sometimes none but cheese. Sometimes add a touch of well chopped onions. Sometimes black olives, or italian sausage. I like more traditional italian (but of course) style, thin crust, few ingredients, cooked fast in very hot (wood fired) oven.

Bubba

now we are talking!
I do the same thing

it is all in the ratios of salt , flour , water ,, and yeast

i make my dough and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours before rolling it out

the relationship between salt and yeast and their ratio is VERY important...

Bubba

[QTE="Bubba, post: 1123476, member: 61564"]
the relationship between salt and yeast and their ratio is VERY important...

Bubba
[/QUOTE]
Salt... Too much will keel....
1622997651675.png

The Yeast

Pizza is all about the base temperature. I have a brick oven that can go past 500C and a normal wimpy electric one that just about gets to 200C. I did an experiment, I made two identical pizzas and cooked one in the brick oven at 420C and the other in the electric oven at 200C.
The brick oven cooked the pizza in under three minutes and it was superb. The electric took 20 minutes, even then the base was not crisp, and the topping was dried out. The key is to get the fire on the bricks and then at the last minute push it to the sides and get the pizza on the red hot brick.

Attachments

• pizzaoven2.mp4
    3.7 MB
Pizza is all about the base temperature. I have a brick oven that can go past 500C and a normal wimpy electric one that just about gets to 200C. I did an experiment, I made two identical pizzas and cooked one in the brick oven at 420C and the other in the electric oven at 200C.
The brick oven cooked the pizza in under three minutes and it was superb. The electric took 20 minutes, even then the base was not crisp, and the topping was dried out. The key is to get the fire on the bricks and then at the last minute push it to the sides and get the pizza on the red hot brick.
600 and up here. A doc friend of mine has a dukane grill that will go 800. We were cooking pizzas in minutes...crispy crispy, just like i want them. Whoops......just noticed you are showing centigrade temps...Im talking Fahrenheit.

Bubba

Dam, forgot about Scimeca's Italian Grocery and Deli on the way....decisions decisions. It's all Italian, it's all good.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back