optimal lighting for mothers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juice meat

Reaction score
what are some suggested flourescent bulb/fixture combos to use in a mother/clone closet that is 5ftx6ft? we have 6 clones that are 7-8 weeks old, and between 19-24 inches tall that we plan on keeping in veg to mother. they have been under a blue-flouro T5 surrounded on each side with RMAX insulation board covered with mylar.. they're (plants) starting to get a little tall to keep under the single t5 fixture, and would like to be able to spread them out to where they aren't so crammed. would adding an additional T5 fixture to my mother room be sufficient light to keep all six in veg state for another couple of months? if not, can someone lead me in the right direction?

we already have a 1000w hps and 600w hps in use in a 1400 sq ft 3 BR house, with pretty stout electrical bills... so im trying to avoid having to use another HID.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Pull them out of the closet?? If you have a 600 and a 1k running, I imagine that you have a veg room and bloom room? take the moms out and put them in the veg room... Mount that T5 in the same room..

Megatron said:
Pull them out of the closet?? If you have a 600 and a 1k running, I imagine that you have a veg room and bloom room? take the moms out and put them in the veg room... Mount that T5 in the same room..

sorry, i should have given more details.... the T5 was in the same room as my 600w hps and other vegging plants... i also had 8 plants that are 7 weeks into flowering in a different room under the 1000w. our electric bill has been too high, and all the plants under the 600w were ready to start flowering so we figured that we should just flower with the 600 and the 1000 in the same room to run a more efficient setup. so we took our 6 clones(future mothers) and T5 fixture out and put them in a seperate closet out of that room.

i wish i had pictures...

The Hemp Goddess said:
Since these clones are destined to be mothers, you want to keep them as small as possible. I think another T5 would be just fine. My T5 gives me lush plants with short internodal spacing. When you use a HPS to veg, the plants tend to want to stretch

cool, thanks. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Also - we keep the T5 about an inch away from the top of plants, and we're still having to raise the fixture almost every day because they're growing into it. im just worried about them getting too tall to be able to produce good quality cuttings. any advice?

they are on a 24 hour photo-period. would changing it to 18-6 be a good idea or have any kind of beneficial effect other than electric costs?

Are any LST, SuperCropping, or Pruning techniques encouraged when growing mother plants?

final question - diluted or full strength nutes?

.. IMO, cutting light hours back to 18 hrs will probably only increase their desire to "stretch".
"I" keep mine on minimal nutrients untill I anticipate needing cuts.
LST, topping, will not only promote more cutting sites, but aid in keeping them low/short, where the T5 will do best.

Hi Des lights will be great, but carefully.. be sure its water proof, fire proof all that then its good for your mother... will not stress tho

Latest posts

Back