Outdoor Garden Shots/ Show 'em Off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hope there was'nt to much damage cubby. dang man. we had a couple tornadoes about 6 weeks ago. 1 went across my property, and really messed up some things here. i lost around 50 plants from the storm.:eek: . they can be replaced. some other things it struck, can't.

still trying to clean up after it. lost several walnut trees. one was around 250 yrs old. 2 others around 150 yrs old.:eek: . will have plenty of fire wood next season.

it also took out one of my rental properties big time. it was a house trailer. we had been remodeling it when it hit. had put 3 grand into it. was almost completed. no insurance. a lose, lose situation. this hurt us real bad.

kinda makes me wonder if those mayan indians knew what they were talking about. the ancient mayan prophecies said the world will end in 2012. to be exact, December 21st, 2012, from earthquakes, pestilence, and revolution. theres a huge group that truly believe it will be the end of the world as we know it...

More pics from my garden - it's still a work in progress.
Here's some ornaments.......
(1.garden bench 2. hand painted birdbath 3. frog 4. dragonflies)

Picture 015.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

Picture 020.jpg

Picture 017.jpg

very nice tex. i have hostas blooming right now. they are getting ready to die off. nice paint job on the bird bath. is it concrete? i painted ours this summer also. i did it in ' wet willy blue'. thats the color they use on the water slides at amusement parks.:) .

dang cubby, that is a fast moving storm. we have tornado warnings for sw mich. raining to beat the band right now. doppler showing rotation...

IRISH said:
hey cubby, what is in the greenish/grayish pot at the top of the steps, pic 5 , i believe?

looks to be clones? the 'lil woman pointed them out to me.;) , you know me, i was looking at the BIG GIRLS dance'in on the lawn.:hubba: .

wow. a 30 yr. old hybiscus? thats crazy cubby. also very elegant. finally got the sterling silver rose to blow-up.:D . my 'lil lady says the hybiscus looks as if it's silk. very dainty, and beautiful.

thanks again buddy for sharing those beauties...

Hey all,
The greenish pot sitting on the deck is a female NL bonsai. I started a bunch of seeds in Nov. 07 in 1.5 inch rockwool cube. There were three that would'nt fit into my hydro setup so I put them in 8oz. styrofoam cups and just left them in a south facing window in my dining room. Because of the restricted root zone they never got more than 6in. tall. when they sexed I cut the plant free of the rockwool, rockwool in the trash, little males in the compost pile. This past july 4th I transplanted the female into the 8in. pot. There's a pic of her in the thread "biggest plant contest".
The Hybiscus was a gift from a friends mom. I went to her house to till her veg. garden for her and saw it sitting outside looking like it was on it's last legs. I offered to take it home and nurse it back to health. She told me I was welcome to try but she thought it was dead. Towards the end of the summer I told her she could come and pick it up. When she saw it she could'nt believe it was the same plant. It was full and covered in flowers and thick, lush foliage. She said it had never looked that good in the 15 years she had owned it, and she could'nt see taking it home where it would more than likely be back to the edge of death in a couple of months. (I took four clones off it to give to some friends, she got one of them, and true to her word 3 months later it was dead. Everyone elses was doing fine, but I believe they've all died by now).:farm:

TexRx said:
More pics from my garden - it's still a work in progress.
Here's some ornaments.......
(1.garden bench 2. hand painted birdbath 3. frog 4. dragonflies)

When I hear a gardener who says "it's still a work in progress" I have to assume your new to gardening because every garden, no matter how old or established is a work in progress. I like your plant choices and the fact that you are attracting wildlife to your yard. In my oppinion the critters you get to enjoy in the garden is half the fun and reward of the garden.
Good luck and good gardening.:farm:

IRISH said:
hope there was'nt to much damage cubby. dang man. we had a couple tornadoes about 6 weeks ago. 1 went across my property, and really messed up some things here. i lost around 50 plants from the storm.:eek: . they can be replaced. some other things it struck, can't.

still trying to clean up after it. lost several walnut trees. one was around 250 yrs old. 2 others around 150 yrs old.:eek: . will have plenty of fire wood next season.

it also took out one of my rental properties big time. it was a house trailer. we had been remodeling it when it hit. had put 3 grand into it. was almost completed. no insurance. a lose, lose situation. this hurt us real bad.

kinda makes me wonder if those mayan indians knew what they were talking about. the ancient mayan prophecies said the world will end in 2012. to be exact, December 21st, 2012, from earthquakes, pestilence, and revolution. theres a huge group that truly believe it will be the end of the world as we know it...

Well I did'nt suffer any damages just a bunch of stuff blown around the property.
Sorry to hear about your losses. I've had finnancial hits in the past and can feel for you. the loss of those trees must also be a kick in the groin. I love trees.
Best of luck with the clean up, don't push it too hard with that bumb wing you got. As far as the downed trees you can take your time as long as thier not in the way, dead trees are'nt gonna' get any deader. No reason to risk further or extended injury if you can wait on it. I have a nieghbor up at my cabin that had three huge maples downed by snow wieght. He had a company put them in a semi-circle, put gravel on the ground and made a little sitting grotto out of them. They look petty cool with bird feeders, wind chimes, and candle holders hanging in them.
That's what i call making the best of a bad situation.
Good luck and take care.

ahh. yes. 'a work in progress'.;) . every project i've had, and am on now falls under these guidelines.:hubba: . as the saying goes, 'why put off today, what you can do tomorrow'. i'll tell ya why. my back hurts, and theres cold beer. 'nuff said?:D .

good thing your roof was'nt on your greenhouse cubby, or it may as well landed over here on mine.:rolleyes: .

when we began our veg garden here, it began a half acre. then the following year, it was added on to, and the year after that, it became one acre. before downsizing it 3 years ago, we were up to around two acres of veggies.

way to much for two people with disabilities, nearing 50 yo. now, we still garden, but a much smaller scale. 4 x 16x40. depends how we feel , as to how much we do now. never thought i would be saying those words.

young mind, body not replying. :rolleyes: ...

we discussed next years gardens already. ( this one not even finished yet ). we will most likely go big again, with less plants. we packed our little plots this year. it was like a micro-garden grow to us.:hubba: .

we had to do all the weeding by hand, as planned, and just could not keep up for the life of me. it did'nt help that the 'lil woman got down, and could'nt continue to help out as much, bless her. then , i broke my elbow. our garden took a direct hit resulting from our disabilities...

...so, the plan next season, will be to go big once again, only this time, assure enough room for the tractor to cut a row.:hubba: . let it breathe alot better. busiest time of year around the Irish place would be spring prep, and planting. then, when harvest time comes, it's the canning...

Peace. and , Happy Gardening All...Irish...

well, i'm still puttering around in my garden that is winding down fast. alls thats left now is carrots, onions, and potatoes. all of which will be dug up by this weekend.:) ...

our gardens produced very well again this year. we learned a few things by having smaller gardens this year. i had things much to close to weed properly. all of which was done by hand...

arm is healed now pretty good. if i bump my elbow, it still sharps pretty good for awhile, but that just gives me an excuse to sit back for a few minutes, and blaze up.:D ...

i sure hope the potatoes produced. if so, i'll post up some pics this weekend...

later friends...

Great news Irish!

I wish I could post pics of our garden...Blight, wiped out ALL of our Heirloom Tomatoes. 50 plants...14 different strains. We did get plenty of our purple beans, green beans, peas, large cukes, pickling cukes and these little thimble sized brindle striped cukes(way cool and tastey).

Our pumpkins and "moon and stars" watermelon also got the Blight as well as our 3 different "all" colored potatoes.

Cold, wet spring and summer killed us...and a lot of $ went bad!!!
All of our garden just passed Certified Organic too,this year!

Oh well...next year, I guess!!

Take care and see you all on this thread next year!!!

sorry to hear of your loss ucandoit.:eek: . thats a huge hit man. it's just a shame after all the hard work to take a hit as this. been there, done that...

our potatoes were'nt ready last month, and we let them go extra long now. thier still out there. they will have to come out soon, as its been raining for 3 days, and 4 more forecasted...

been fighting the flu last few days. i think it's winning so far...

i'll still post pics' when i dig 'em up...

I have finnaly finnished putting away the veg garden for the winter. I've gotten most everything pulled out, tilled under, or mulched. About the only thing left is to dig up my bulbs and rhizomes in the tropical garden. Depending on the weather I may tranaplant a bunch of tall phlox, cone flowers, and liatrises.

Here are a few pictures of garden, compost piles, and the field that is going to be all garden this spring.

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_001.jpg

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_006.jpg

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_008.jpg

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_009.jpg

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_011.jpg

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_013.jpg

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_016.jpg

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_017.jpg

June 2009 Garden Pictures.jpg

Here are a couple more pictures. I know Brutus does not belong in the garden pictures but he begged.

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_007.jpg

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_002.jpg

6073_random_june_2009_garden_pictures_014.jpg

Here's some from early fall

The yellow ones are called maximillion sunflower
The red one is Turk's cap
The last pic is a garden shot

:eek:

ff.jpg

gg.jpg

kk.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

It's compost time of year. So I'm gonna try to make a nice pile this yr.
I'm going to collect leaves and then grind them down, mix them with other yards stuff like: fruits and veg remains, dying annuals and other yard waste, etc; and let it sit. At least let it sit until early summer.
There's some space to work with so, I'm hoping it will be easy to do.

:rolleyes:

TexRx said:
It's compost time of year. So I'm gonna try to make a nice pile this yr.
I'm going to collect leaves and then grind them down, mix them with other yards stuff like: fruits and veg remains, dying annuals and other yard waste, etc; and let it sit. At least let it sit until early summer.
There's some space to work with so, I'm hoping it will be easy to do.

:rolleyes:

Thats what I do. You can see in the picture my two piles. I keep a pile for the following spring and a pile for the year after that. I keep rotating like that. I turn them once a month with my tractor. I am looking into ways to accelerate that process.

My pile will have no coarse materials in it so it will be completely ready by early spring/ summer.
The only part I'm not looking forward to is the turning part.
Good luck

BTW: I tried growing a Lowryder #2 early this season. It didn't make it past my paranoia this time, made it to 6 weeks. It's got potential.........since you asked

:shocked:

That is great.I also plant some at flowers outside garden of my home
I like the idea of sharing such garden pictures at here..
Keep sharing in future.

Latest posts

Back