outdoor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yin325i

Reaction score
Hey growers, I've been growing indoor for a while now, and now wanted to move outdoor. since I'm a newbie on outdoor growing, I have some questions that hope you guys can answer them or give some advice to me.

-should I build a green house (is green house better)
-I've seen people can harvest 3-4 times a year, how do they do that
-how do I control the light cycle? does the moon light will effect the plant flowering?
-should i veg them indoor first then move them out once they are big?

1. if you have the money, why not?

2. if you can control the light and temp, you can harvest 3-4 times a year anywhere. with the new autoflowering strains you can probably do more. sometimes its more a case of adding light during short season to stop flowering before plants are mature.

3. moon does not effect photocycles. never bothered mother nature to have a night light. shutters, tarps and slats can control light cycle in greenhouses.

4. you can, many do. just be sure to harden then before exposing to direct light

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
2. if you can control the light and temp, you can harvest 3-4 times a year anywhere.

so does that mean i have to cover the green house with shutters / tarps during summer time with long hours of daylight in order to control the light cycle? how about winter time, i think the sunlight is out for about 10-11 hours, is it okay? or I need to hang some light in order to make it 12 hours of light?

you need 18 hrs of light for vegging, and 12 hours of total darkness for bloom. If you get light to your plants in flower they will revert back to veg, possably hermi. Or they will not flower at all if they never see a 12 hr dark cycle.

legalize_freedom said:
you need 18 hrs of light for vegging, and 12 hours of total darkness for bloom. If you get light to your plants in flower they will revert back to veg, possably hermi. Or they will not flower at all if they never see a 12 hr dark cycle.

thanks. but what i meant was what should i do when winter time has shorter daylight than summer? i can cover up the green house during summer time to get the 12/12, but how about winter?

Look, what it comes down to is, you have to select the strain(s) you grow w.r.t. your location. For instance. I am a greenhouse grower but also have a grow room. So in winter I can veg in the grow room and then move them to the gh to flower - 6 h of greenhouse sun is plenty believe me.
Now in summer I still have only 12h-13h so I grow sativas that can tolerate the higher temp. And I am using an old bedsheet to shade the gh. Plus I leave door and window open. I may use a pedestal fan to ventilate on hot days.
But basically, greenhouse is great.

Yin, where do you live, regionally? I was curious what your temps are in winter?

So in winter I can veg in the grow room and then move them to the gh to flower - 6 h of greenhouse sun is plenty believe me.
...ONLY if you are supplementating 6 or so hours with artificial lighting. Six hours of sunshine will keep them alive, but they will 'not' perform/produce well.
Studies have proven that nearlly twice as much thc is produced under 12 hours of light than under 10 hours. "6 hrs" would obviously be even more detrimental.

Where you live is important to know. If you live north of SF,Ca. I'd build a greenhouse and go all organic, as this is a medicine and goes into the body.
Just about everything else you'll be able to find here on MP. Hope that this helped you in getting started with your grow there yin325i, Green Blessings and peace out.

Hick said:
...ONLY if you are supplementating 6 or so hours with artificial lighting. Six hours of sunshine will keep them alive, but they will 'not' perform/produce well.
Studies have proven that nearlly twice as much thc is produced under 12 hours of light than under 10 hours. "6 hrs" would obviously be even more detrimental.

Oh, they are getting 11 hours of daylight, just that due to buildings shade they only get 6 hours of direct sunlight. They are certainly growing faster than in the grow room. It's only February still.

leafminer said:
Oh, they are getting 11 hours of daylight, just that due to buildings shade they only get 6 hours of direct sunlight. They are certainly growing faster than in the grow room. It's only February still.

...:eek: "11 hours".. in feb'... I'd LUV 11 hours of warm sunshine right now ;)

Maybe, but think about this: in another 3 months you will be enjoying the nice weather, while here I am going to be roast pork and my indicas are going to die if I haven't harvested them. Oh well. Until I can move somewhere with a great climate all year round . . . like Lake Chapala!

Latest posts

Back