Paper drum grow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkjiv

Reaction score
So I have this idea, at my work we get product that comes in paper drums. These drums are almost the size of 55 gal drums and are lined with a silver reflective coating on the inside. Some we reuse for trash cans and some get thrown out when we get too many. They have plastic lids that clamp on with a metal ring. They are light proof. The plastic lids could easily be modified for lights and fans. Vents could be cut in the bottom and screened. See where I'm going with this? A one plant mini grow room. Stock photo below, ours are the largest ones. So what do you think? Think in could work? I'm thinking I could at least use it to veg clones till I'm done flowering in my grow tent. Have any ideas on this?

Attachments

• fiber-paper-drums-250x250.jpg
    fiber-paper-drums-250x250.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 5
Not so different from the boxes many people have used for micro grows. Are you thinking like a 175 watt hps or an LED setup? :D

2b2s

I like it! Sounds like a fun thing to try, go for it. You'll be able to make all the needed holes for venting, just have to come up with a trick for watering the container at the bottom of the barrel. You might be on to a way of turning trash into a place to grow your stash ;)

I'd think water would soak the paper drums rather quickly...

I would think heat would still be a problem in such a small place. Better be growing some really small plants. I thought you wanted to use them like a smart pot or something since the inside is lined.

Last edited:
Line the drum with a heavy duty leaf yard plastic bag with a drain tube duct taped to a small hole in bag (sealed with the duct tape tightly wrapped around tube to make water tight.)
Then fill bag with you grow median.

Or fill it with ice after you line it with the plastic and make a nice beer cooler. you could paint the outside with pretty pictures too

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking 5 gal fabric pot air could get around the pot

Line the drum with a heavy duty leaf yard plastic bag with a drain tube duct taped to a small hole in bag (sealed with the duct tape tightly wrapped around tube to make water tight.)
Then fill bag with you grow median.

Or fill it with ice after you line it with the plastic and make a nice beer cooler. you could paint the outside with pretty pictures too
Lmao! Great idea!

Latest posts

Back