Perlite in Soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well depending on what soil you are using i guess not but there are other ways to get aeration within your soil, like sand, and other amendments. Perlite just makes life a bite easier i guess you could say. They never had perlite back in the day and all was good.

^
haha true.

30-40% is common, with peat moss, 50/50. but cococoir or other mediums 30-40%.

it depends on the size of your container as well, length of time you wish/need to grow for.

i also like to add a 1/5 or less layer of hydroton at the bottom of my pots or grow bags,. as do most others, but i try not to mix that in my soil or soilless mix.

With perlite you need to use enough, otherwise it's just window dressing.

A lot of pro mixes don't have enough perlite, so you'll have to add some more in a lot of cases.

Earth worms don't like perlite. It stratches them.

I think an alternative is broken up sytrofoam pellets, the kind that breaks up into little pebbles when you rub a piece with your hands, it's said to be inert but I wouldn't add it to soil that I'll grow edible plants in. It might be safe, but I don't know.

"Earth worms don't like perlite. It stratches them. "

omg! thats terrible, i mean they are only little worm, but wow, thinking about, and being able to describe some of my chronic chest pain in such a way seems fiting. so, now i know, ill always remember, and NOT subject the poor things; whom are moving constantly, and being toren at in the only space they constantly have to move through...

OGCOUGH said:
Is it a must to use perlite in your soil?

YES!

There is no pre made soil on the market with enough perlite in it, not one.

30% would be a minimum, I use 40%+.

I just run straight peat moss in my worm bin, so they don't get scratched.:hubba: Happy worms with lots of babies.:farm:

DD

Latest posts

Back