Perlite VS. Coco

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistair

Reaction score
When I grow I use FFOf soil, but I've been thinking about adding some perlite. Is coco better than perlite for purpose of aeration?

I use more perlite mixed with my FFOF when using it for established plants, and I use coco, and perlite mixed with FFLW for freshly rooted clones and seedlings. I'm not exactly sure why I do it this way, maybe I read it somewhere, or someone told me this is how they do it somewhere along the way...not really sure. I do know that it works for me...I'm not sure if one is better than the other...good question!

I was spending ALOT on perlite and vermiculite. We have a local compost place here in WA called Cedar Grove. I ran a test side by side to see if I could see any difference in not adding perlite and vermic to soil. I saw no difference at all of more oxygen to roots and h20 retention from vermic via more lush veg, bigger buds, etc. Not saying this is right to do as we all know why we add it. I eliminated it from all 40 of the last harvest all the way thru. Only thing they got added was nutes and Hort lime. My 2 cents.

Alistair Young said:
When I grow I use FFOf soil, but I've been thinking about adding some perlite. Is coco better than perlite for purpose of aeration?

IMO...no...Hello my friend...I use pelite for the purpose of aeration...I use my own soil mix..heres how i layer my containers...first I have my soil mix in Large garbage cans...I add perlite 1/3 to soil....in the one gallon container i place an inch of coco .. this is to help soil from getting everywhere and keeps bottom moist..( I Like it) and then top with perlite...sorry for the essay:rofl:...perlite is Awesome stuff:aok:

to much type must hit bong:bolt::bong:

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALISTAIR:ciao:

Thanks, people. I like FFOF soil, but I'd like to experiment with a bit of perlite. Even though it already has it in it, it seems like it packs down a bit hard over time.

Hello Alistair, good question, I can't wait to hear more opinions.
In my current mix of FFOF, I add a 16 oz cup of perlite to 4 gallons of soil, not much really. With plants in 5 gallons of soil, my containers are light and ready for water every 3 days. Seems like I'm getting decent aeration and it doesn't pack down too badly. I stir up the top inch or two and level it out before watering also. I'm definitely still working on my medium so take my opinion with a grain of salt :ignore:

Latest posts

Back