Pruning During Flowering 3/4 of the way done

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MY_WEED_KNOWS_NO_LIMITS

Reaction score
I have some MMJ Plants that i have been growing and have a quick questions. I have alot of leaves, i mean alot, should i try to thin them out so the bottom buds can get some more light? they do not look as developed as the top buds. I am about 3/4 done with the flowering. Thanks for the help.

The leaves are what provides the plant with energy to grow the Buds DO NOT cut any leaves of the plant at this stage. You will harm the plant it will take time to heal and slow down you harvest time. IMO never trim a plant once it has been put into flowering

As far as I know any leaves you trim off the plant does nothing but hurt it. The plant is using the leaf as long as it is still green, as the plant matures the leaves will start turning yellow and fall off or can be pull off with a gentle pull. If the leaf don't pull off easily leave it the plant is still pulling nutes that it has stored out of the leaf.

thats a hard question to ask on a forum. this is very debatable. i do remove leaves from my plants but only large fingers that are blocking buds right underneath and from over crowded areas like the mid and low canopy and the yellowing leaves that look to be dieing off anyways. light and air flow is very important to grow full developed buds. an over crowded canopy is only going to yield you an incredable amount of hashing material.
if you dont trust me try thining the foliag on just one plant and compare quality and quantity at harvest.
If i where you id prun out alot of the lower stuff. give it a few days then prune out some of the over grown mid section and remove some leaf fingers from your tops to make more light for buds below.

thats my 2 cents and its been working out well for me. ever since iv been doing this iv been harvesting all thick good nugs from top to bottom with zero fluf and higher yield of quality herb
one more thing i do most of the pruning with in the last week of veg and first 2-3 weeks of flower but i do still clean out some leaves in the later flower phase.
its my beliefe that its never to late to trim out the usless fluf in the low canopy.

Thank you very much trichnut!!! Im going to start by removing some lower leaves. Right? Give it a few days and get some of the mid and top finger leaves. By fingers do you mean, the single leaves that come off a branch?

Thanks For the help man.

MY_WEED_KNOWS_NO_LIMITS said:
Thank you very much trichnut!!! Im going to start by removing some lower leaves. Right? Give it a few days and get some of the mid and top finger leaves. By fingers do you mean, the single leaves that come off a branch?

Thanks For the help man.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Do not trim the fan leaves off. Buds do not need light. The big fan leaves are what turn food and sunlight into buds. DO NOT CUT THE FAN LEAVES OFF. Did I mention not to cut off any fan leaves. In case these is any misunderstanding, it is not a good idea to ever cut off any of the fan leaves.

would NEVER do it in this stage only in the final week. 3 weeks of flowering thats a big big part ofyour flowering period. if your having some tiny little no good buds inthe bottomof your stems you could cut them clean the stems cuz these can get moldy ad would not grow into a realbud anyway but dont cut any fan leaves at thisstage, the fanleaf is providing the bud with food, if you cut it the bud will just not grow anymore

:spit:
zem said:
would NEVER do it in this stage only in the final week. 3 weeks of flowering thats a big big part ofyour flowering period. if your having some tiny little no good buds inthe bottomof your stems you could cut them clean the stems cuz these can get moldy ad would not grow into a realbud anyway but dont cut any fan leaves at thisstage, the fanleaf is providing the bud with food, if you cut it the bud will just not grow anymore

:spit: why cut at all? 'only in the final week'? :shocked: :huh: :confused2: :hitchair: :doh:

The Hemp Goddess said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Do not trim the fan leaves off. Buds do not need light. The big fan leaves are what turn food and sunlight into buds. DO NOT CUT THE FAN LEAVES OFF. Did I mention not to cut off any fan leaves. In case these is any misunderstanding, it is not a good idea to ever cut off any of the fan leaves.

oh, sorry..is there some grey area on this? NO NO NO...

remove those leaves and the buds that are there will not grow anymore..

as in not at all.....

as in you will screw your harvest

as in don't don't don't

you've been warned...

( I know cuz I got the bright idea to pluck some leaves while they were in flower...got about 3 grams per plant..awesome, right?)

FA$TCA$H said:
:spit:

:spit: why cut at all? 'only in the final week'? :shocked: :huh: :confused2: :hitchair: :doh:
oh i do a lot of pruning to mother plants to get many small clones for SOG and at the very last week of flowering i sometimes cut the upper leaves to allow bottom buds to ripen faster, it also helps if the plant has huge top buds it airs it helps prevent mold but thats the only time i ever cut in flowering.

I didnt say cut fan leaves. however i do take 1 or 2 of the fingers from fan leaves of higher more developed branches or even buds to make light available to my mid canopy buds and leaves that where otherwise in the dark.
do you guys really think im out to sabotage your crop. im just sharing somthing that works well for me. when i first started i didnt prun at all except for over yellow and dying off leaf. over the years my growing style has changed and believe it or not im actualy growing more and better in the same space. and yes some of the things i do is unconventional like pruning to increase the amount of quality bud sites my plant has.

I don't need to say it again...but I will ...DON't TRIM LEAVES, and any pruning the branches on the bottom of the plant should have been done in the first 2 weeks of flower or in veg. Never cut anything that late into flower, you will risk getting hermi's and decrease your yeilds...now is the time your buds would really be beafing up, but if you go and prune, all the energy will go to repairing those wounds, and not to building buds, and trichs!

Notice how as soon as he saw what he wanted to hear he was all about thank you thank you, thank you...I see Ozzy didn't get thanked.

All that pruning in the bottom I do early to increase airflow...not in the last stretch when the bud is doing it's thing...Why mess with it then??

ok everyone i have not cut anything off. I am going to wait till i have cloudy trichomes. Then cut them and harvest between cloudy and amber.

Thanks for the help guys everyone is so damn helpful..
I could have not done this grow without you all.

Latest posts

Back