Question about lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWB

Reaction score
Hi;

I'm new here. I'm starting an ebb and flow hydro system. I did this about 25 years ago with very good results. I've always used metal halide lights. Way back when, using anything else was considered a waste of time.

Now I see a lot of references to HPS lights. (high pressure sodium?) What are the advantages/disadvantages of HPS versus metal halide?

We also only used 1000 watt lights because the lesser wattages did not produce the full spectrum needed. Is this still true?

Thanks;

Now I see a lot of references to HPS lights. (high pressure sodium?) What are the advantages/disadvantages of HPS versus metal halide?

HPS provides more lumens per watt than metal halide.
MH is more of the blue spectrum which immitates the summer months. Perfect for veg.
HPS is more of the yellow/red spectrum which imitates Fall months. Perfect for flower.

We also only used 1000 watt lights because the lesser wattages did not produce the full spectrum needed. Is this still true?

Its not so much spectrum but amount of lumens per area. Wattage does not have a factor in spectrum. Thats the materials used in the type of bulb. There are "special" hi-priced bulbs that have a very good ranged spectrum but they are pricey. But the size of the area should determine the size of the light. Temp. is a huge factor too.
50W/sq.ft. is perfect for a grow area.

Hope this helps.

Mutt said:
Its not so much spectrum but amount of lumens per area. Wattage does not have a factor in spectrum. Thats the materials used in the type of bulb. There are "special" hi-priced bulbs that have a very good ranged spectrum but they are pricey. But the size of the area should determine the size of the light. Temp. is a huge factor too.
50W/sq.ft. is perfect for a grow area.

Hope this helps.

OK, the lights now must be more consistent than we had. The lower wattage MH lights were visibly more blue than the higher wattage. I was told that this was because they were more efficient. It would make sense that this problem has been fixed.

Thanks;

Latest posts

Back