question about trimming...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpetals61

Reaction score
so i've been reading about harvesting my plant and i see references to "trimming". what i want to know is what to keep and what to toss...do i keep all the leaves for smoke or just the buds? do i even keep all the fan leaves? i know, stupid question for an expert...but i'm no expert...
please go easy on me will ya?

when you harvest you wanna trim all them leaves off from the buds, you can use the trimmin and stems for iso oil or canna butter but besides that the best use is compost.

Remove the sun leaves and pretty much compost them, unless you want to try and exrtact the small amount of THC in them. The small leaves sticking out of the buds are part of what's referred to as "trim". The other small leaves around the buds but not actually part of them are harvested too. While not as potent as the bud itself these small leaves and "bud leaves" contain good amounts of THC. Several uses for trim are; smoking in a water pipe as the trim can be harsh, water curing can remove a good deal of the chlorofill and make the smoke not so rough. You can dry the trim and small leaves, freeze it, then rubbing gently over a silk screen to remove the trichs, make some kick-*** hash. You can make really good canna butter using the trim and save yer buds for smoking. Bottom line , save yer trim (smaller leaves and bud leaves) for later use. Why not get the most from yer 14-16 weeks of effort? :)

I leave the fan leaves on while drying. It dries slower, which I think is good. It also helps when I have to move them buds around afterwards (stop squishing the trichomes!), and it's easier to remove them when they're dry.

Oh, and I just toss them in the garbage, or give a friend a gift of "Pot Pourri" (french, for bad pot ;)). Too much hassle for to me to make hash. :D

Another reason I love my Volcano! I hardly have to trim anything from my plants, I cut my leaves back to where I see the trichs forming on the leaf. It all goes into my 'cano and I get to use almost all of the THC...the bit of trim I do get goes into ice hash...it's gotten to the point that if I want to make a hash run come together, I have to go to friends, who save their trim for me...then share the goodies back to my friends...everyone is happy with this arrangement...

Peace...j.b.

thanks for the advice, here i was thinking that ALL the leaves were good...that i should keep all of it for smoking. dear margaret has plenty of buds so i should get a nice harvest....

Latest posts

Back