quick question on soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chubakkaz

Learner
Reaction score
Hey guys, what's a good amount of perlite to mix in with foxfarm soil, fraction wise? and is there anything else I should include?

I appreciate the help.

Great Question,
Soil mix ratios is a matter of taste, the best overall mix would contain
1. 10% coarse sand and pea rock = Drainage
2. 10% spagnum moss = moisture retention
3. 30% pearlite or vermiculite = airation
4. 50% A good rich Loamy Soil

This is my own formula that works great, but everyone has something different, ask around untill you find what suites you and your babies.
Once you are up and going, chase down a little Green Mojo

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Im gonna try that! thanks a lot! I started my babies on some neutral PH potting soil but it doesnt look very effective so Im gonna go and grab those materials tomorrow.

A mix that has worked quite well for me is:

75% Fox Farm Ocean Forest
15% MG Starter Soil
10% Perlite

Might consider giving it a try along with a few others and see what you like best :D Good luck!

Chubakkaz said:
Hey guys, what's a good amount of perlite to mix in with foxfarm soil, fraction wise? and is there anything else I should include?

I appreciate the help.
10-15% added, is a plenty Chub'...1 tablespoon of horticultural lime, per gallon of soil, is a good idea, too.

Hey Hick, you should add lime to foxfarm ocean forrest? I thought ff of was reasy to go and didnt need to add anything.

Bizzy I added about 10 % but the more you add the more often you will have to feed sice it drains so good.

FFOF is usually okay, right outta' the bag, but "I" like a li'l added drainage/aeriation (perlite) and the lime simply .. adds a little more magnesium and buffers the ph.

I found the same problem, instead of using lime I use something called Cal Mag by Botanicare, which helped with the Mg/calcium problems. So far so good.

Latest posts

Back