quickest way to tell sex ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel

rebel
Reaction score
most ive talked to cant determine sex until males shows balls. i watched the video where the greenman growed ak47 and a ww. vegged it 2 months i think and took clones from each. after the clones were a couple weeks olds??? not sure of how old here, he moved em to the flowering room and determined the mothers sex from the clones.
is this the quickest method to determine sex ?

The quickest way would be to flower the plant itself - thats not the best way imo though. Switching lights cycles back and forth can be stressful - I'm sure this is why Greenman did it the way he did.

Time is part of the process typically. The fastest way is not always the best.

when i grow from seed and want to know the sex i do the same as greenman for the first part by vegging long enough to get clones but right after cutting the clones i will flower the original donor plant. by the time the plant shows sex the clones are rooting and i either keep them or toss them. i then grow out the original plant to see if it is even worth growing again instead of growing a bunch of clones to maturity just to toss them and mother later. doing it the other way i would have to root, grow and flower the clones which would take at minimum 4-5 weeks and alot more space just to get to the sexing point. where flowering the original plant and keeping a clone(or 3) as a mom will take about 2 weeks max to tell the sex.i dunno if i made sense or not and please remember it is just my own opinion and experience. we all got a bit of each :). happy growing.

I sometimes when in a hurry to grow put my beans under 24 light till they pop then 12/12 till they show. takes about 3 weeks

A plant has to be sexually mature (alternating nodes) before it will show one sex. This has to be accomplished no matter if it is under 12/12 or 24/7 to show if it is female or male. When I grow from seed I wait til they become sexually mature and show there pre-flowers, then I take clones only from the females.

ya.. pcduck is on point.. alternating nodes is def the sign for sexual maturity

rebel said:
most ive talked to cant determine sex until males shows balls. i watched the video where the greenman growed ak47 and a ww. vegged it 2 months i think and took clones from each. after the clones were a couple weeks olds??? not sure of how old here, he moved em to the flowering room and determined the mothers sex from the clones.
is this the quickest method to determine sex ?

I simply wait until they show preflowers. To take a clone at 2 months, then root them, and then put into 12/12 to sex seems like the long way around. At 2 months veg, I would be surprised if the plant was not showing preflowers.

I read a report before, I believe in the new growers sticky, that one way you could tell would be to cover up a single lower branch with a black bag and force that branch into early flower. This way you can get the preflowers early without having to fully flower the plant. Does this seem like a good idea or has this theory already been proven to be ineffective???

I do agree with what hemp goddess says, my plants usually show preflower before the 2 month period anyway. This way of cutting clones, letting them root, and then telling the sex from the clones seems like a long unnecessary process but that's just IMO.

pcduck said:
A plant has to be sexually mature (alternating nodes) before it will show one sex. This has to be accomplished no matter if it is under 12/12 or 24/7 to show if it is female or male. When I grow from seed I wait til they become sexually mature and show there pre-flowers, then I take clones only from the females.
:yeahthat:

There is no rushing mother nature.

Usually, you will have pre flowers ~5-8 weeks from seed regardless of the light cycle.

DD

cubby said:
The easiest way to determine the gender of an immature plant is to set it on the floor, put a pair of shoes on one side and a beer on the other, if it leans towards the shoes it's female. Never fails.

:yeahthat::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i guess i'm just super awesome..i usually veg for 4 weeks and can visually tell sex by then...not 100% of the time but at least 90%...preflowers are (to me) easily distinguishable between male and female if you know what to look for...females grow little "tubes" as preflowers where males grow leafy "balls".

cubby said:
The easiest way to determine the gender of an immature plant is to set it on the floor, put a pair of shoes on one side and a beer on the other, if it leans towards the shoes it's female. Never fails.
i love it....ganna try this right now!!!:D

Pre flowers tell nothing......

take clones and flower the mother, mark the clone pots to tell wich they came from, when the moms show sex you through out the clones that came from the dudes

dman1234 said:
Pre flowers tell nothing......

take clones and flower the mother, mark the clone pots to tell wich they came from, when the moms show sex you through out the clones that came from the dudes

even easier way without having to flower a potential host..

once the "host" has alternating nodes (sexually mature) take a cutting mark it if doing sevral.. and put it in the dark or 12/12 for 10 days.. that cutting without roots will tell you the sex.. she comes out female you have a perfect host.. not a cutting from a host.. now that cutting becomes 2nd generation and can produce totally diferent phenos then the one that you flowered..
LH

LEFTHAND said:

once the "host" has alternating nodes (sexually mature) take a cutting mark it if doing sevral.. and put it in the dark or 12/12 for 10 days.. that cutting without roots will tell you the sex.. she comes out female you have a perfect host.. not a cutting from a host.. now that cutting becomes 2nd generation and can produce totally diferent phenos then the one that you flowered..
LH
im confused....if i take a cutting from a plant it will have diff phenos? i always thought its genetically indenticle?

LEFTHAND said:

LH

I wld be interested in knowing where you heard or read that....as far as I know clones are genetically identical to the donor plant....where wld these new phenos come from?

Due to growing differences the clones can look very different but they are still the same genetics.

Latest posts

Back