Seed Production

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBong

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I put it here...As some of you know I'm new to the game, and have tried my hand for the first time this year with 2 different strains, LSD and M.O.B. Now M.O.B. (Mother of Berries) is a Maine strain, quite famous around these parts. Apparently this is a clone only strain, and hard to get. I guess I was lucky to grab it my first year. Here's my question:
Can I hermie a plant on purpose to produce seeds for this awesome strain? If so, why has no one done it in the decade M.O.B. has been around?

I had a clone only for 5 years, I finally found a male to cross her with and have been very happy with the new strain. I don't think you want to "hermie" her...others will pop in with more ideas. good luck!

But imagine the killer plants, or a big fat mother plant, I could get from a handful of seed. Assuming I got females of course. It would be worth giving up a clone in my eyes to produce some seeds. If it's even possible. I have no idea...

"hermies procreate hermies"..... there maybe an ..."acceptable" method for 'selfing' a strain, but is rather extensive and involves chemical sexual reversal, of a clone then using that reversed clone as a source of pollination to another clone of the same strain. THEN... those seeds should be grown/tested for the dominate hermie characteristic.

BeerBong said:
But imagine the killer plants, or a big fat mother plant, I could get from a handful of seed. Assuming I got females of course. It would be worth giving up a clone in my eyes to produce some seeds. If it's even possible. I have no idea...
Clones grow just as big as plants from seed when allowed to. AND... you're certain of having only identical fem's.

Hick said:
"hermies procreate hermies"..... there maybe an ..."acceptable" method for 'selfing' a strain, but is rather extensive and involves chemical sexual reversal, of a clone then using that reversed clone as a source of pollination to another clone of the same strain. THEN... those seeds should be grown/tested for the dominate hermie characteristic.

Oh. I don't want to do all that. Also, I don't know how to do all that.

Issue being is all my clones are in flower. Some very late and some about 4 weeks in. I've heard taking a clipping from a flowering plant can be a pain in the butt...?

I also only have one spot to grow, currently occupied buy 2 clones in 12/12. So seeds would be ideal as I can start them whenever I need to. Meh, no biggy. It was just a thought.

You can clone at anytime. they just take a little longer to root and go thu reveg, but they turn into great plants.

The reversing a clone to breed femmed seed is a great deal harder than just spraying with a chemical if you want true to the mother seedlings

cuttings taken 'later' in flower, DO require more time to root 'n revert to veg.

edit: ozie on the ball ;)

honestly if i was you id scrap the whole idea of selfing the plant, just too sketchy since the hermie trait can and will be passed on in the genetics to the new seeds, more worry then its worth imo.. if i were you if get some clones going in veg, and find yerself a male from another strain that you like and cross with the MoB, youd be more likely to get killer smoke from crossing 2 good strains rather then making a plant self pollinate.

You can also reveg one of the flowering plants. You harvest most of the plant but leave some low growth flowers on the plant and put under 24 hour light and it will re veg and look crazy for a while, but it works.

I am with the others on not doing the hermie thing for all the reasons they mentioned. However, in actuality, I doubt that you would have enough time to do this, even if it was a good idea.

If you cannot get it to clone, you could try a reveg. I just revegged a C99. My buddy really liked the bud really well and I hadn't taken any clones. So, I revegged her. I took about 75% of the bud off and left the rest. I gave her a nice dose of vegging nutes and put her back into veg. Revegging doesn't always work, but it would be worth a try if clones do not make it. A plant that is taken to harvest and then revegged is a wild looking thing, but I sure have plenty of places to take cuts from.

You could also find something with close to the same high to breed her with if you want seeds. I know it will not be exactly the same, but with the second cross, you will get phenos that lean more one way or the other.

LOL--Rosebud--it took me about 20 minutes to write this post (had to restoke the fire in the middle of doing it). What is that saying about great minds thinking alike.....

We must be smoking the same stuff...That is funny. You are much more articulate then me...that's why we keep you around. ha.

I might add, revegging a plant is relatively easy. you will want to leave at least one third of the lower plant. (stalk main, leaf, bud) simply put the plant back onto a 24/0 or a 20/4 lighting schedule. some do it gradual, I just toss it 24/0. it will get ugly for several weeks, and new shoots should begin to show in week four quite vigorous, in which time you may start feeding veg nutes again. from there, take clones, or mom up, or find that special guy to procreate your lil mama with. :)

another way to ensure she lives on is to share the love. ;) spread those clones around to grower friends, and tell them to share her freely too. hoarding genetics to oneself will bite you. if you can cop a cut from any number of friends, its all aces...:cool: ...peace...

Irish said:
I might add, revegging a plant is relatively easy. you will want to leave at least one third of the lower plant. (stalk main, leaf, bud) simply put the plant back onto a 24/0 or a 20/4 lighting schedule. some do it gradual, I just toss it 24/0. it will get ugly for several weeks, and new shoots should begin to show in week four quite vigorous, in which time you may start feeding veg nutes again. from there, take clones, or mom up, or find that special guy to procreate your lil mama with. :)

another way to ensure she lives on is to share the love. ;) spread those clones around to grower friends, and tell them to share her freely too. hoarding genetics to oneself will bite you. if you can cop a cut from any number of friends, its all aces...:cool: ...peace...

I'm not hoarding it at all. My intention with the seeds was not only to be able to grow it on my own but get this strain out into the world a bit more! I like the idea of revegging and using it as a mother for clones. Good idea! I guess this means it's time to invest in a second grow space, or a larger one split into 2.

I love having separate grow and veg spaces.

I would like to recommend that you try and take some cuts and root them even though you are into flowering. Revegging doesn't always work.

Latest posts

Back