Seeds On 12/12 Cycle ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzywhitelufc

Reaction score
Hi Just a Question or can any one provide a link?
What would happen to seed/new plant if it was subjected to a 12/12 light period straight from germination. Would it create more hermies ?
I ask coz I am trying to understand where I went wrong when I lived in Spain!

thanks

Ozzy

No a 12/12 from seed should not cause more hermies. Did you use bagseed?

Hi Goddess. Seeds were taken from UK to Spain,of unknown strain. I planted them in Compost and kept the resulting seedlings in the strong Spanish sun, with some protection and shade for the first few weeks. All failed that I tried,however seeds that were given away and grown Hydro in Spain faired better. I gave up and only now am I trying again Indoors back in the UK. Just wondered if the strains available are meant to be in more light than I provided in Spain.
What would happen if i germinated and gave only 12/12 would more be males?
I have some old seeds left from my Spanish adventure and was thinking of trying 12/12 from start to finish !!

Cheers

Ozzy

starting with the light cycle at 12/12 will not determine the sex of the plant itself. it will just begin the flowering process from the get go and You will be able to determine which plants are male or female. and of the females, they will be cute but not yield much with no vegging time.

The plant cannot flower until it is sexually mature. So your plant will still have to go through it's veg cycle, but it will take longer because it will have a shorter amount of light to grow in, than if it was started under and 18/6 or 24 hr light cycle.

but a seedling can not go right to budding, it has to become mature first.

:yeahthat: (guess i should wait til i'm fully awake before i start post'n) :bong:

I am unsure of the male or the hermie thing, but I will say that I am an advocate of vegging for a bit for sure. My experience is very limited but I will share what I have saw in the last 5 weeks.

While this is not a fair comparison on plant size as the containers are vastly different, it is more of a comparison in my eyes on when they reach sexual maturity and why you should veg.

I started germination on 2 LA Confidential x Skunk seeds. One went directly into 12/12 for a monster can contest grow, the other went into veg for 3.5 weeks. The monster can grow showed as a female on 1/10. This happened to be the same day I flipped the other la conf to 12/12 and only 3 days later it showed female. So in my mind I saw no advantage to being able to sex them early with the 12/12 method.

Now for size comparison, as I said it is not entirely fair because of container size but it still will give an idea of the growth difference. Monster can as of today is at 9" while the vegged plant is currently at 24"

Here is a pic of the 2 as of today...

LACmonster.JPG

LACroom.JPG

I have no proof to this theory but I was told by my uncle when I was a kid that being root bound will cause a plant to sex earlier...I have never intentionally rootbound a plant to find out, but it looks like your example helps lean in his theory being correct...thanks warfish.

Thanks Everyone for your responses.
Would plants that are root bound, as per the last post, be more likely to Hermie because of the stress??
Having done more reading over the last few months, more than since I was at school, especially on this site. My knowledge now, seems to indicate that my failure in Spain may have been down to more than just the light problem!!
May one day try 12/12 from germination to keep things on the small side.

Cheers
Ozzy

On and On

Latest posts

Back