sexing the clone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeezly

Reaction score
New here and looking for some tips. Need to know how to determine sex before the balls form. Hauling lots of water and if I can determine sex now, I can haul less water. Also I need the skinny on cloning.

you can't tell sex before the plant shows it. Some say they can tell by smell, or height, or whatever, but they are mostly just guessing and the truth is you just have to wait. If you need to know everything about cloning from the ground up, read the stickies here, there are TONS. No one is going to be able to come by and treach you how to clone in this thread, the amount to be told could fill a book. NorCalHal has a good thread on it, just go into the propagation section or search for it.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

I've had the most success with Massproducer's $35 bubbler cloner:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2799

Easy to build and easy to use, not to mention fantastic results.

And it's also possible, while you're cloning, to put a cutting from each plant immediately under 12/12 light to get them to force flower and show sex (without developing roots) and then you would know sex of plant you took cutting from.

thanx! Really appreciate the info. I'll dog around and try to find the stuff you guys are talking about.

mrbeezly said:
thanx! Really appreciate the info. I'll dog around and try to find the stuff you guys are talking about.
just a helpful hint; when searching, i find it works best if you go advanced search, then search titles only.. you get a lot more relevant results. ;)

You usually take clones from a plant that has already shown sex not from one that is undetermined....as for telling sex early...you can only tell for sure when the plant tells you...

I hear there is a way to check using a clipping. Ever heard anything about that??

mrbeezly said:
I hear there is a way to check using a clipping. Ever heard anything about that??
they take a cutting (aka clone), and put that under 12 hour light.
*you still wont determine sex right away.. it will still take a few weeks for the clone to root, and then however long after that to show sex.

Welcome to MP breezly. In a outdoor grow from seed I would plant a bunch and pull the males when they show sex.

Good luck
MCM

kaotik said:
they take a cutting (aka clone), and put that under 12 hour light.
*you still wont determine sex right away.. it will still take a few weeks for the clone to root, and then however long after that to show sex.
Pardon me for stepping on your toes but it's been my experience the cuttings don't need to root to show sex. I put the cuttings i want to root normally under the usual 18 hours of light and then put some seperately under 12 hours just to determine sex. I don't expect the ones under 12 hours to root they are just for the purpose of sexing. Once you know which are males, kill accordingly..

theres more than one way to skin a cat...or in this case to take clones and sex them. both ways will work

monkeybusiness said:
Pardon me for stepping on your toes but it's been my experience the cuttings don't need to root to show sex. I put the cuttings i want to root normally under the usual 18 hours of light and then put some seperately under 12 hours just to determine sex. I don't expect the ones under 12 hours to root they are just for the purpose of sexing. Once you know which are males, kill accordingly..
not stepping on toes m8, thanks for correcting me (i obviously didn't know that ;) )

Latest posts

Back