Should I tell my doctor that I smoke?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sasnak

Reaction score
I stopped smoking tobacco about 40 years ago, however I do smoke weed.
I am going to a new doctor tomorrow and wonder if I should admit smoking to him.
My wife says no. However I'm sure that with an oral exam he will be able to detect a lie.
Thanks

He will record it in your electronic records that will be shared with everyone - insurance companies, hospitals, pharmacies - everyone, forever. You can never undo this decision. Do not make this decision casually. If there's no need to tell him then there's no need for him to know.

i told my doctor, but after we got to know each other a bit. feel him or her out first.

Do you live in a legal or medical marijuana state? If not, I wouldn't entrust my freedom to some doctor I've never met. Do you have some condition that this information would be important for him/her to know?

Personally, as a group, I trust doctors about as much as lawyers and LEO.

DO NOT tell him!!! Doctor patient privilege is a myth! Dr.s share your entire medical history with insurance companies that will do everything possible to deny you coverage.

my doc never put it in my records (i requested him not to), i know for sure as i read them at every visit.

cubby said:
DO NOT tell him!!! Doctor patient privilege is a myth! Dr.s share your entire medical history with insurance companies that will do everything possible to deny you coverage.

:yeahthat:

Well I visited the doc with my mind made up not to rat myself out but the subject never came up.
Thanks everyone for your advice. Where else better to inquire, than here.

sasnak

Don't tell them jack crap unless your dying and they need the info to save yer life.

Never divulge any info that could later incriminate yourself.

Always shut yer mouth when talking to "the record". Think hard about what you might be admitting to.

If the docs don't know u smoke or use tobacco don't say anything- that will effect your coverage.

It's easier to tell them what they might need to know later... Than sooner.

Goes with all things.... Loose lips sink ships.

Latest posts

Back