soil or hydro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mslady_1983

Reaction score
hello all. i am wondering if i should go hydro. i have been speaking with someone. they told me that i am not getting the yield i should with soil. that growing hydo is better, for more yield. any response please

I have not grown hydro so i can't tell you. What i can tell you is it takes quite a few grows to get a good yield. What grow are you on now? My yield was terrible for a few grows. So whatever you decide go for it and stick with it and become a better grower.
Good luck to you.

i grew 25 plants under 1000w hps. pre-98 bubba kush. foxfarm nutes and foxfarm soil. temp was at 72 degrees. ph checked at 6.5. i am wondering for i could get 2 oz per plant in sog. how is everyone getting 2lbs per 1000w bulb

I grow with both methods. In terms of production, it's strain dependent in my case. Certain strains have indeed produced more using hydro but the oposite has occurred just as often.

Rosebud is right, building soil is a process and increasing production can take some time to perfect. If your a beginner, I would recommend sticking with soil - but that is merely my opinion.

How much does the pre-98 bubba produce? 25 plants seems like a crowded space to me. Perhaps less plants and bigger pots may help.

Pre bk is not known to be a great yielder, try a diff strain like heavy duty fruity, GDP, or c-99...

One run of one strain can't tell you much....

How big were the containers? Veg time? Pics?

id say if u have a perfect enviroment & a top notch strain, youll have a great yield after a few runs or a yr.
min of a 1000k watt hps & lots of room for the roots in soil.
hydro is very touchy & 1 mistake wont give u the yield u want or need. how about this, would you rather have killer organic, tastey, smelly clean buds, or a chemical harsh 50-50% of a large yield? it wont happen the first 6 months with a new grower, imo. dont believe the hype & learn to grow for urself, quality, then go for yeilds. everything has a roll, not just hydro or soil

Did you have a height restriction and that was why you flowered at 18 inches?

no i don't have a height restiction its just that i am alone on this hobby and would love some tutoring on some grows you guys might have done and the outcome. tbh i am confused on how to grow the way that produces yield, should i do one or 25 under 1000w

mslady_1983 said:
no i don't have a height restiction its just that i am alone on this hobby and would love some tutoring on some grows you guys might have done and the outcome. tbh i am confused on how to grow the way that produces yield, should i do one or 25 under 1000w

How big is your grow area?

Can you lift 5 gallon pots when full of dirt? I wondered if that is why you used 2 gallon pots. I like 5 gallon best, but have used 3 gallon too.

Have you read and read and read? Let us know how we can help, there are amazing growers here that would be happy to help.

mslady_1983 said:
I flower in a 4'X4' tent, under 1000 watts of HPS. The most I would try, is 6 plants. I tried 7 plants, but my yield suffered, due to lack of room to LST.

I am a fairly new, to indoor growing, and have only been at it a couple of years. Listen to these fine folks, and read up. They will steer you in the right direction.
I am yet to get 2lbs, out of my space, but the more I learn, the closer I get.

HomieHogleg

I am yet to get 2lbs, out of my space, but the more I learn, the closer I get.

I'm aiming for a 4x4 tent, 600W HPS, 6 plants (or 4 with scrog maybe or something nifty?) and my hopes are 1 pound. Perpetual hopefully.

I like DWC,,but I would say,,Growing yur own Weed no matter how ya do it,,is way better then buying.

I also like DWC. However, IMO, hydro is not really going to give you better yields. I believe that plants may grow a bit faster during veg with hydro than with soil, but all in all, they are about the same. I personally do not believe that soil is easier than hydro or that hydro has a greater risk of failure.

DWC is easy to set up and run. You might want to try a couple of plants both ways and see what you like. I will b more than happy to help you set up DWC buckets if you decide to try hydro.

I didn't see where you said how large your space is? That makes a difference when deciding how many plants to run. I will say that I am running a 1000W in a space that is 3 x 6.5 x 7.5'. I like to put 6-8 plants in that amount of space. I like to let them veg for 6-8 weeks before I flower them. Some people on the other hand are believers in more smaller plants, going from seed or clone to flowering in just a few weeks. I personally have never done better this way, but it is a way of growing for some.

Also, do not stress over yield. Getting 2 lb from a 1000W is getting close to a gram a watt and that takes experience and a dialed in space. It also takes the correct strains--some strains just do not produce like others. Rather than worrying about yield, get your skills down and your space dialed in and yield will come.

:yeahthat: Nobody could put it better then that.

Dont be cheap either! Spend the money on the additives but dont buy snake oil. I use General Hydros advanced schedule. Have found a couple things I like to switch out and something I call "The Secret Sauce."When you start running all the nutes your stuff will get way better.

Ive only done soil a couple times when I was in high school. My buddys mom sprayed weed killer on em even after his Dad said we could use his greenhouse!
Hydro is very easy you just have to check on it everyday. Used to run 27 5gal DWC buckets. Thats a ton of work adjusting ph everyday. I found the CAP Ebb and Grow and haven't looked back. Now I hit 5 or 6 oz a plant under 1000W. These are 4' or 5' off the top of the 2 gal pot when they finish. Nugs 3 feet long! And that was without the Co2 burners I have now LOL.

P1000472.JPG

Latest posts

Back