Sons and MJ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pistil

Member since 1999
Reaction score
I'm wondering about what do you tell to your sons, if any, or what do you think you would tell to them about MJ.

Tonight i had some guests for dinner and my daughter, 6 years old, at a certain point exclaimed: <<hey, come all to see the beautiful plants of my daddy!>>

I had an heart attack but i promptly answered:<< naaaa, don't bother them now at dinner, they all have geraniums too>>…

Later, when i put her to sleep, i told her that she do not have to tell to no one about those plants because not everyone agree to let the people grow them. I told her that, considered that in our country we are a lot of persons living together with different tastes and ideas, we have chosen a set of rules that could be good for most of us. One of these rules is that no one can grow those kind of plants because some people think that they can hurt you. I explained that i do not agree with that rule because many scientists actually say that it have medical properties and i think that these plants can give some benefit to people like me without limiting or putting at risk the freedom and the rights of other persons. I clarified that breaking a rule is always wrong and dangerous but i added that the society has proven many times that the rules are never been perfect and they needs to continuously evolve while we learn new things. I continued saying that now we learned more about these plants but the rules are still not considering this and so, if she really have a doubt about a rule, she have to ask to herself if breaking that rule could hurt someone and if she would be happy if someone would break that rule against her.

I ended with something "scenic" saying that the future is in her hands and that i believe in her intelligence and her future ability to chose the best option for her even if this disagree with what her daddy considered correct. At this point she was so bored that she fall asleep...

Surely not the best explanation ever but i was even a bit drunk and nothing better came in my mind...

Anyway i still pretty believe in what i told her but i'm curious to know if you have something to add that could be useful to teach to children "our" vision of consuming MJ in a world that don't what you to do that. So, if you have one minute free, please add your opinion. I'll certainly and gratefully consider it to fix and complete this very delicate teaching.

Sounds to me pilgrem yual a might open minded and like things true and straight. sounds to me pilgrem yual settin family fireside and keepin it warm cozy open and touched with the love. Yual give the ability to take knowledge and decide for one sell what right to wrong. Sound to me yual doin well as a parent considerin not many peoples perfect. Love the sharin friend yur fireside.

BWD

WOW i also would have had a heart attack..my boys are famous for saying that.. though too but they are talking bout my herb garden and veg garden... along with the many plants around the house.. i have really gotten them into the love of growing veggies n flowers... my lil gardeners... hahaha
i cnt really help you on this due to the fact i myself dont know what i would tell my 2 sons if they came across my grow..

luckly for me i have kept it a pretty darn good secret.. i am worried about the up coming yrs.. my boys are 5-6 this june/july.. and they are getting more nosy and sure good at asking questions.. lol.. let alone the "exploring" of the house hahaha...

to be honest im not sure if i could trust them with the secret .. and good chance i would shut down the day they come across it.. we all know how kids are.. expecially when they get to about 12-15 be like cool then his best friend knows and then the world lol..

i think you did a fine job.. told her flat out.. which is usually the best way.. we are only human and not everyone will agree with everything n everyone..

LH

My friend recently had 7 plants 2 feet tall in another room while he cleaned and his 10 yr old walked in!!!! they had too have a talk, at that point what choice do you have.

Why I quit till my last turned 18.
Alcohol or bud. A buzz is just a buzz to me. When I feel like I want a buzz.
We let them grow and decide their own paths. In which 2 out of 3 of mine Im positive dont smoke. And the other is just occasional like myself.

My daughters philosophy is great. I think she agrees with medical users. But to the rest its. "A person that NEEDS to be buzzed, must not be much of a person to begin with."
Which is something I fully agree with. Be it pot addicts or alcoholics. And she came up with it on her own, using her own judgement as she grew up. And probably a big part her developing in to what is now a Deans List/Honors student at one of Americas top 5 public universities.

My daughter sees my OD plants, and they are just "daddy's bushes". She knows not to touch them, and not to tell anyone about them. She's 5 almost 6. Pretty sure once she's old enough to question what they are for I will tell her, and have that honest conversation.

SPEARCHUCKER said:
Why I quit till my last turned 18.
Alcohol or bud. A buzz is just a buzz to me. When I feel like I want a buzz.
We let them grow and decide their own paths. In which 2 out of 3 of mine Im positive dont smoke. And the other is just occasional like myself.

My daughters philosophy is great. I think she agrees with medical users. But to the rest its. "A person that NEEDS to be buzzed, must not be much of a person to begin with."
Which is something I fully agree with. Be it pot addicts or alcoholics. And she came up with it on her own, using her own judgement as she grew up. And probably a big part her developing in to what is now a Deans List/Honors student at one of Americas top 5 public universities.

Always let cridder as well as child find its own path pilgrems. Ifin yual get in way of ones travell and the aim in that direction yual going to get bit!!!! Let free to make mistakes even ifin it aint the direction we wishem to travel. Love the warmth fireside friends.

BWD

IMHO........ yall shouldn't be growing in your house with children in it if your not a legal grower....... that is why I had to wait til I'm dang near 50 years old to grow....... you stand a much bigger chance of getting caught and when you do your going to lose the kid(s)....... and if your their main bread winner....... let's just say it's not only your neck on the line.

BTW the kids these days are taught at school what to look for and to tell if they know or see it.

Grower13 said:
IMHO........ yall shouldn't be growing in your house with children in it if your not a legal grower....... that is why I had to wait til I'm dang near 50 years old to grow....... you stand a much bigger chance of getting caught and when you do your going to lose the kid(s)....... and if your their main bread winner....... let's just say it's not only your neck on the line.

BTW the kids these days are taught at school what to look for and to tell if they know or see it.

While I don't agree with all of what Grower13 said-as I have a 13 year old at home-some of his points were spot on. You WON'T automatically lose your kids if you're caught growing. There are many other factors that will come into play. I think if you do tell your kids or they find out, there is probably a bigger chance to get busted THAN IF YOU TELL NO ONE. Kids are kids-it's hard to make them see the big picture of pot at that point in their lives.

But Grower13 has a point-if you get popped there are more people affected than just you (and me). Pistil, you need to grow something else like herbs (legal) to cover that situation if it happens again. At this point, she knows but maybe if you shield her from your growing from now on-after talking to her again about not telling ANYONE-EVER, maybe she'll forget about it.

I certainly can't and won't condemn anyone for growing with kids in the house, but it makes the most sense to me to keep that fact from them at all costs. I think it's too much to expect our kids to know and understand how wonderful this weed that has been around since the beginning of time is and how it can benefit us. As pointed out in another post, they are being bombarded on tv and at school with anti drug campaigns, and there is no differentation shown between heroin, coke, crack and pot. It's just too much to expect of them IMHO.

AG

Thank you all, very much, for all these opinions… they are all very appreciated by me. It's not a problem if you agree or not with me and it's very important, for me, to have many different points of view that can help me to better understand what is happening and how to manage the situation.

I wanted to open this thread for the utility of everyone but let me clarify some point to let you better evaluate even my own story. Please don't read the following schematic as an aggressive answer, it's just an attempt to be clear but short at the same time.

1. My daughter already discovered this thing for a number of unforeseen events, so it's late for me to keep the secret with her.

2. I'm not a legal grower but i use MJ for medical use as well, anyway, in my country the medical use of MJ is not allowed. Because of my pains i pretty need it if i want to be able to live an almost normal life but yes, i have to confirm that the laws are not with me here so i could fall victim of them.

3. No one will touch my daughter if i'll be caught, i'm sure of this or i would never have started to grow anything. I'm sure of this because of the experiences of friends that have been caught growing way more that what i'm doing and their sons are still there. They have been jailed for few hours and have had a lot of annoying consequences but they are still there, with their jobs and with their whole family together. (Well, they was self employed but i'm in a similar, lucky, situation)

4. My daughter just ended the first 3 years of nursery and she will go at her first school pretty soon but i doubt that her teachers will teach her about drugs/sexual abuses and things like these because these children still have to learn how to write and read… i would get very angry if a teacher would start to talk to them about these things before, at least, some more years.

That's all, i repeat that this schematic answer is just to be clear and to let you jump to the part of my answer that most interest you… I'm very grateful to all of you because you exposed some point that is very crucial for person in this situation!

I have chosen the route of the honesty and, as you know, i'm really not sure if i've made a good or a bad thing. I think you have all posted your different ideas in a very useful way and i can just thanks all of you for these important contributes. You can be sure that i will seriously consider everything you wrote above and many many thanks again to all! Sincerely!

Yual keep walkin yur trails chosen pilgrem. Its our choices in life that take us to the trails we walk and ifin yual happy with the path yual choose then no need to change it. Im not a judge of man nor will i ever be.

BWD

Thanks mate, you know i'm very proud and happy to have met you here! :)

I just would like to add something important about laws and our teachings to our children, please consider that in many place of the world there still are racist laws (even here) and that i think that, even putting the MJ problem away, we need to teach to our babies some rule to help them evaluate if something is good or bad. Please remember the not so far times when the laws was saying that black people was worst than white people…. with this i just want to say that we really need to teach to young people how to become good persons and not only how to stay out of a jail.

I will be extremely proud of my daughter if tomorrow she will be able to break a law to protect someone, just this, my two cents.

I repeat that i respect all the opinions posted and i'm grateful to who posted them. Again, very sincerely!

Edit: what i just said is not related to your answers, it's just to explain better my position about laws.

You sound like a good person with sound reasoning Pistil. Good luck to you.

AG

Latest posts

Back