Southern California greenhouse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie m

LIFE IS GOOD
Reaction score
Hello my friends! Getting ready for my first photo plants (always grow autos) there are so many different answers that I am a bit confused. I have an outdoor greenhouse and want to germinate and plant in container. I can’t find a consistent answer on when I can plant germinated seeds in outdoor greenhouse. I don’t want to use any additional lighting if possible. Any ideas? Thank you much!!

Since they are autos, it doesn't matter. Days are still a bit short, it may effect the overall yield some.

You will want to wait untill the daylight is over 12hrs for photos.
Better if you wait till 14hrs daylight so the new plants don't get confused and attempt to flower then revert back to veg.
You lose a lot of growth time while they flip.

Thing is, photo period plants will keep growing until the days start getting to around 12 hrs of light per (October I Southern California?)day...if you start them now that means they won’t flower until the fall, they could get very big by then depending on the size pot you use...be carefull not to over run your greenhouse...you should be ok if you use a reasonable size grow pot as that usually controls the plant size...

Thing is, photo period plants will keep growing until the days start getting to around 12 hrs of light per (October I Southern California?)day...if you start them now that means they won’t flower until the fall, they could get very big by then depending on the size pot you use...be carefull not to over run your greenhouse...you should be ok if you use a reasonable size grow pot as that usually controls the plant size...
Actually they will start flowering immediately. You need to wait until June 1. The days are still too short and flowering will start when the plants are mature enough in 4 to 6 weeks

Thank you! I will germinate and plant first week June.

If the temperature in your greenhouse is staying above 65 degrees and you are in the northern hemisphere in the good old US of A, germinate your seeds between the 29th of this month and the 5th of march. Because I germinate (or more specifically, clone) inside for planting outside later on, I am already getting my start. If you wait until june your plants will be on the tiny side.

I am looking into starting germinated seed into pot and straight to greenhouse to avoid lights if possible I can start in solo and work my way up Just trying to get the timing info right on when to put them out after germination

Here is a site that tells you by date and location, the duration of the sunlight for that day...could help determine when to put them out...https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/los-angeles?month=6
You can slide along that red line to look and the length of day and night on a particular day...looks like after April fools day might be good in LA...

Last edited:
I'm old school, I plant by the moon. Seeds take three to five days to germinate, then they take another week to start to produce real leaves and start thinking about growing. The 1st month of life that plant is thinking about growing and nothing but growing. It really couldn't care less about the amount of hours it gets as long as it gets about 12 or more hours it'll be good. The Spring equinox is March 19. If they are in the greenhouse with leaves by then I think you will be fine.

Latest posts

Back