speedy veg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About a decade ago my dog and me got chased out of the woods by a pack of coyotes. I am thinking we got too close to their den and pups. My 130 lbs American bulldog scooting past me with his tail between his legs was pretty humorous though I would have hoped he’d stay with me in case I got attacked...
no kidding??? coyotes can be very nasty and (personally) don't think there is one domestic dog that is a one on one match for a coyote. we had them howling across the road--which makes me nervous. i don't want either of our two dogs hit by a half dozen coyotes.

a couple years back we had a black bear that seemed to have lost some of his human fear. he stalked both me and my wife on separate occasions. i don't play with bears. i have a friend in alberta canada who hunts bears and he told me he would rather hunt grizzlies instead of blacks any day. shocked, i asked him why? he said, you always know what a grizzly bear will down, but you never know what a black bear will do. plus, he said, blacks can climb trees, grizzlies can't.
i have been in close contact with a good many black bears and they always looks back at you when walking away--and generally, they will circle around or parallel you out of the woods.

Last edited:
We have morning doves, sparrows, red headed woodpeckers, blue jays, at least 5 breeding pairs of cardinals, some grosbeaks, titmouse, mice, chipmunks, squirrels, hawks, barred and horned owls, bears, fox, coyotes and more thatvall congregate by our feeders. It is a circle of life. I try to keep my cats in when the feeders are full of birds/animals feeding. Oh, we get a ton of hummingbirds too. I put out nectar and we have coral bells and jewel weed that they seem to love.
of8, sounds like you and i live in the same corner of the country. several years back i was at work and my wife called me and asked, what is a really big hawk? i said a cooper's, why? she said we have a big one in the back yard sitting in a tree. i asked how big it was and she said, about 2 feet. 2 FEET? that's no cooper's hawk, that's likely an eagle! i didn't see it, but about 2 months after her sighting we were coming home and on the side of the road feeding was a bald eagle. sure was surprising and beautiful to see him.

I think that Kelp4 less is a big reason we had such a great grow last summer. They sent us a bunch that i didn't order and they didn't want it back. So a guy on staff there took a lot of time to explain what I had and what i should use and what i should not use. I did what he said. Best grow ever last year. What a great company.
rose, dare i be so bold as to ask what you bought to help you out? personally i don't like to talk on the tele

i have seen some owls closing in on 2 feet tall but no hawks. no eagles here either though i think some of them winter in monroe ct. saw them a couple of decades ago when i lived down there. impressive birds. as far as the coyotes go, i now walk with a handgun. not sure i'd shoot the coyotes or a bear but i like to think the noise would scare them. if not, i probably would shoot the animal(s)...

P3170854.JPG

found some flying squirrel photos but the majority are too large for server. this one worked

i have seen some owls closing in on 2 feet tall but no hawks. no eagles here either though i think some of them winter in monroe ct. saw them a couple of decades ago when i lived down there. impressive birds. as far as the coyotes go, i now walk with a handgun. not sure i'd shoot the coyotes or a bear but i like to think the noise would scare them. if not, i probably would shoot the animal(s)...
we do the same here. you never know what you may encounter--two or four legged

i trust the 4 legged over the 2 legged. i am not a hunter so i don't keep track of what hunting season it is. last fall i was in the woods with my dog and wound up 'bothering' 4 deer hunters who all told me i should have orange on. i am sure i was in at least one of their sights. probably my dog too. after the first one, i tried to high tail it out of the woods as quickly as i could and stumbled thru the remaining 3 hunters line of fire.

it can get pretty dicey in the woods during deer season. people get really ignorant when you're in the woods during deer season and not hunting. the orange requirement is for hunters--not non-hunters. but considering how trigger happy some hunters are, it may be best to stay clear until the season is over.
i have been a hunter ever since i was 12 and back then, we used to move around the woods. now people don't generally venture into the woods any further than 100 yards from the road and then, they just sit there and wait for the animals to just bump into them. humph...
now, i am one of those guys who can't climb the hills so i don't hunt nearly as much and switched to gunsmithing instead.

it can get pretty dicey in the woods during deer season. people get really ignorant when you're in the woods during deer season and not hunting. the orange requirement is for hunters--not non-hunters. but considering how trigger happy some hunters are, it may be best to stay clear until the season is over.
i have been a hunter ever since i was 12 and back then, we used to move around the woods. now people don't generally venture into the woods any further than 100 yards from the road and then, they just sit there and wait for the animals to just bump into them. humph... now, i am one of those guys who can't climb the hills so i don't hunt nearly as much and switched to gunsmithing instead.

unlike you ol8, i trust the 4-legged more than the 2-legged. animals, for the most part are more predictable. every house around us has been broken into except ours--and that was because i happened to be home when they attempted. we live in the woods and there aren't too many houses out here so people have a tendency to think they can help themselves to your property.

I think you misread my post. I also trust the 4 legged ones more than the 2 legged. I wish I had hunting in me. I have friends that hunt. I know it is necessary. Folks who eat what they kill are a-ok with me. I bought a hunter orange color for my dog. I need to get something for me too. Every year you read about some hunter who didn’t verify what he was shooting at and kills another human. #1 rule with guns - be sure what you are aiming at...

I think you misread my post. I also trust the 4 legged ones more than the 2 legged. I wish I had hunting in me. I have friends that hunt. I know it is necessary. Folks who eat what they kill are a-ok with me. I bought a hunter orange color for my dog. I need to get something for me too. Every year you read about some hunter who didn’t verify what he was shooting at and kills another human. #1 rule with guns - be sure what you are aiming at...
i did and apologize. please forgive. we do the orange thing for the dogs too but what i bought were orange balaclavas from cabelas--actually for myself, but then found they fit the dogs necks just as well as mine. they don't seem to object to them plus there is considerably more orange coverage.

you are absolutely right about being positive what you are shooting at. some hunters get too excited about seeing and shooting a deer and end up mistaking their targets.

Gives me(another) reason to go visit Cabelas... ;)

No response. I am a firm believer in good customer service. Not getting a reply bothers me...

37244205-2CFE-4D01-9E07-4AEB2B83F19E.jpeg
I sent them a nasty email. Someone finally replied. Maybe I am ‘sensitive’ but I didn’t like the tone... Screenshot above:

fogey,
typical how they always play dumb. you phrased it very nicely but curt enough to show your frustration. hopefully they will treat you differently than they did me.
by the way, i told them about the grow forums and would share how they treated me.

Latest posts

Back