SPIDER FARMER SF4000 LED Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do well for vegging too. Light penetration isn’t great but it is what it is.
I think hopper suppliments with side lighting. His buds are not missing anything!

Bubba

I used a 4ft 8 tube HOT5 system. It put out 40,000 lumens and was no more than 4" from the canopy at all times. Sometimes i will use CFLs on the sides to help with side lighting. My buds were dense and very nice. Dont let anyone tell you that you cant flower with HOT5s.

I used a 4ft 8 tube HOT5 system. It put out 40,000 lumens and was no more than 4" from the canopy at all times. Sometimes i will use CFLs on the sides to help with side lighting. My buds were dense and very nice. Dont let anyone tell you that you cant flower with HOT5s.
My Buckeye Purple grow was using my 6 h.o. T5’s. Agreed that you can get some dense, potent buds.

The spider farmer isn't going to go to 1700 so it won't be frying anything, but too close and you can still get burn. I fight that in the height battle regularly.

I've grown successfully with cheap lights, it can be done. I had very nice plants (OG Kush) but probably lost a little yield, but I just grow for myself.

Leds are getting better and better. Modern LEDs (Epistar?) Allow all the light closer without burn. Heck, I still have some hps lights too!
Bubba
I'm still not sure what's better, hid or led. So many different pros and cons with both and then there's always, "it depends". I have been thinking of doing a winter inside grow and have been researching lights. Blown away is what I am. If it's true about hid having a better, more full spectrum and better penetration, then wouldn't they still be better than leds?

I personally don't think you can beat HPS for flowering. My problem is Texas heat. So I like HOT5s . Never used Leds. I'm thinking about trying them though.

I'm still not sure what's better, hid or led. So many different pros and cons with both and then there's always, "it depends". I have been thinking of doing a winter inside grow and have been researching lights. Blown away is what I am. If it's true about hid having a better, more full spectrum and better penetration, then wouldn't they still be better than leds?
I saw a video explaining light penetration a while back. If I remember correctly, HID penetrates better than LED’s because HID’s are not a ‘point source’ of light so the angles of the light reaching the canopy are coming from every which way. It made sense when I saw it. I will see if I can find the video. As hopper said, the heat of HID’s is a deal breaker for many. The energy used for the lamp is higher but you also need to consider the energy consumption needed to cool the grow area.

I personally don't think you can beat HPS for flowering. My problem is Texas heat. So I like HOT5s . Never used Leds. I'm thinking about trying them though.
I think my next round I will use his for flower. It's still mounted in the 4x4. One thing is for certain, both methods have their advantages and at the end of the day, both work well.

Bubba

I'm about to stop growing in the middle of summer. End one as summer comes on, start another about now. Texas had to be even hotter, and for more days.

Bubba

Hopper, I would encourage you to look into the LEDs. I have both the Mars2000 and the SpiderFarmer 2000 and they both are equally incredible They burn brite and cool and are energy efficient. I can’t talk for other brands as I’ve herd you have to watch out for fakes but these two brands you would be most happy with im sure

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back