Starting my first grow with Blue Kush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The organic soil would probably work too...

Miracle Grow is sacrilege for most folks so I’d avoid that unless you can’t find anything else...

I agree OF8, if I don't see anything at Walmart. I'll buy that organic stuff from Amazon that was linked.

This hobby gets to be kind of like that kids book ‘If You Give A Mouse A Cookie’, huh?

Welcome Mr. Do! Good luck on your first grow! I wish you phat buds and plenty of experience!

Ah soil mix here is my own personal mix that was upgraded from my budget mix, lol. I started my first with Miracle Grow to start however, I would strongly suggest you stay away from time released soils like Miracle Grow.

My current mix
This is roughly a 2 gallon organic mix but is working wonders now for me!
40%/12.8cups Happy Frog/Fox Farms Soil Mix
20%/6.4cups Worm Castings
10%/3.2cups Compost I used compost manure
25%/8cups Perlite
5%/1.6cups Vermiculite
2 Tbl spoons Mychorize
2 Tbl Spoons Dr.Earh 4-4-4

Maybe this mix will work well for you too! I used the Happy Frog as my base mix instead of PROMIX to get some of the other extras they pack into they Fox Farms Soils

Your water PH looks pretty good! I run steady 5.8's all day on my tap water. Also, I would suggest you experiment with all forms of germing your seeds, you will find one that works best for you. I like to use a brown paper bag, zip lock bag and some paper towel. I am generally ready to plant at day three using this method.

Hey all.

Welp I am on my way. WOOT!

I got the seeds delivered this afternoon. Because I really could not decided which method to use to germinate, I decided to take Stepheneking's advice and do both. I used 2 for the paper towel method and 2 simply planting them into this seed starter mix I bought at Garden Center. FWIW, this pair of jeweler's tweezers I bought for $7 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLQVSYL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) really came in handy. The seeds were never touched by my hands. I was able to pluck them directly out of the little baggy the seeds came in and then right into the respective method surface. I plan on keep a close eye on the ones in the paper towel so that I can get them transferred into the dirt as soon as the root sprouts.

One question; For the seeds planted into the seed starter soil, do I put them under the light now or do I wait til they sprout to the surface?

One question; For the seeds planted into the seed starter soil, do I put them under the light now or do I wait til they sprout to the surface?
Dark and Warm is good but would be fine under the lights too :) Good luck and keep us posted! Be ready for your sprouts in the paper towel, have the pots prep'd and ready Hope they pop quickly ;)

Can't wait to see how it goes!

THG, I put saran wrap over the pots and i will check them in the morning. For now I have them in the closet with the ones in the paper towel. Thanks for your help.

Right away I can see keeping the temps down will be an issue. Not just the tent but the room itself is getting warm. I am looking into a portable AC to help with the problem.

Also, the bank gave me a couple of freebies to go with my order. Cantaloupe Haze (https://oaseeds.com/en/5654-oaseeds-canalope-haze.html). I doubt I will be interested in these as they are a sativa dominant strain and probably too strong for my taste. I'm gonna hold on to them for now, but at some point I will try probably try to trade these for something else.

Last edited:
Don’t judge a strain by its genetics alone. I’ve had some hyper buzz indicas and some super mellow sativas. It is also nice to have a variety of smoke available.

That's actually a very true statement. I will try not to judge this one by my first experience with sativa strain, while it was OK it was not something I would want to do too often. I will put them in the drawer. There will come a time I am sure they will come in handy.

Hey guys. I was excited but now I am concerned.

Here is an update; The 2 seed I put into the paper towels sprouted tap roots by the 2nd day. At that point I put them into the same seed starting mix I put the other 2 seed in. The pots I am using are 5 inches across by 5 inches deep. I was very excited last night when I checked and I could see those paper towel seeds both just barely starting to sprout above ground. I put them back into the closet thinking I would be putting them under the lights today.

I think using the seed starter mix is a mistake. If i am reading it right there are no nutrients in that type of mix. I had planned on keeping the seedlings in those post for the first 2 weeks or so. Should i try and move them now? or should I be trying to feed them somehow?

This is the mix I am using; https://www.amazon.com/Jiffy-Natura...jiffy+seed+starting+mix&qid=1570193956&sr=8-2

Sprouts have their own source of nutrients (the cotelydon). That is why seed starter soil has no nutrients. Just sit back and let them grow.

Go easy on the lights to start out too. Keep the fixture up high.

Sprouts have their own source of nutrients (the cotelydon). That is why seed starter soil has no nutrients. Just sit back and let them grow.

OK thanks. That is a big relief.

My original plan was too keep them in these pots until they form their 3rd nubs. Then transplant them into their 3 gallon final home pots. is this plan viable?

Go easy on the lights to start out too. Keep the fixture up high.

I was also wondering about this. What about just putting them into my window sill the first couple days? Then putting them into the tent. Privacy is not an issue since the room is on the second floor.

You want 18-24 hours a day of light. I do 24 hours but a lot of folks do 18 on 6 off for lighting in veg. I’d just put them in the tent with your light as high as it can go. I think you were getting a Mars 250. Not sure how intense the light is but seedlings in nature deal with the sun from day one and the 250 probably isn’t as bright as the sun;).

I’d leave the plants in the 5” containers until you can see a fair amount of roots in the drainage holes. Moving to too big a container too quickly isn’t going to help the plants if the root system is not well developed.

You really need to start plants in smaller containers. It is simply too hard to give the tiny babies the right amount of everything in 5' containers. I wouldn't move them now, but, please use something smaller next time.

I don't think the window is a good idea--there is no consistent temps there. Put them somewhere inside that you can keep some kind of constant temp.

I suggested seed mix because seedlings are not supposed to have any food the first 10 days to 2 weeks. Seeds planted into a medium with nutrients in it will almost always fry. If you keep the plants in this medium and container for longer than that (I also wouldn't transplant until the roots fill the pot), it is perfectly okay to feed the plants. You might want to read up some on the nutrient needs of pot.

Latest posts

Back