Starting my first grow with Blue Kush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get too anxious. The pics above are only from 3 days ago and they are not going to grow that much in a week. It is too early to transplant and it is too early to start LST. I know it can be hard to wait for them to grow, but it is a trait that you are going to need to develop if you want to grow....just wait until you get to near the end of flowering. It can be almost torture to wait until they are ready.

So, slow down, start them on light nutrients, make sure your environment is dialed in, and wait for them to get decent root development before transplanting and let them get some size before you start to do any kind of training.

I never had one these tent things -- I grow out in the open!-
- Do-- I got most of those in an aero box of about 1/2 square yard - My boxes got 34 grow holes each -- They just aerocloners with nutes -- I grow regular photo plants so I start about 6 seed from each variety -- That usually gets me a girl -- hopefully a couple -- keep the best -- leave the rest !
I only want the one girl !-- Sometimes it gets complicated -- I got 2 blueberry girls but there can be only one !-- In my crippled mind a pack of seed is for only one plant !--
Like they said -- Slow down and let them grow !

Keef, I'd grow in the open too if Po-Po would take so much an interest. :D

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will do my best to slow my roll.

One of the reasons I am anxious to get these transplanted is because they are still currently in the seed start mix. Now that they are almost ready the veg stage shouldn't I be getting into my soil I prepared?

You have plenty of time for that. This grow is most likely going to take 4+ months. Please don't try and hurry things up. You need a good root ball before you transplant. This is one of the reasons that we tell people to start seeds in small containers. Your plants are not ready to transplant. They will be fine in the seed starter mix with light nutrients.

It will be detrimental to the plant to try and transplant too early and will damage roots, which will have to repair themselves. Patience, Grasshopper.

Ok, thanks.

Also, last night I noticed brown spots forming on some of the leaves. I will post a picture tonight. Hopefully it in nothing serious.

Fed 'em didn't ya. Probably burnt 'em but lets see the pictures.

Hey everyone. day 23 here and yeah. The plants don't seem to be doing their best. A couple of thing I have tried.

1. I started using RO water instead of tap water.

2. I only fed them once and it was barely anything. 10ml of Fox Farms "Grow Big" plant food into a gallon of water.

3. Still having a hard time keeping the temp below mid 80s and the humidity higher than about 50%

4. I have increased the amount I am watering from once every other day to about once every day and a half.

Anyone have any suggestions?

BK-1
full

BK-2
full

BK-3
full

BK-4
full

Last edited:
Hey Do - What U been up to ?-- I would transplant them -- I don't know so much about dirt farming though -- I would peel that peat cup off and plant it in a bigger container -U don't have to peel the cup off -but -U should see roots if U do -- I'm kinda rough on plants so might be better to listen to someone else ?-- Heat is a problem for us down here almost all year long -- U running 24/7 or 18/6 ?-- if it's 18/6 U can have your lights off in the hottest part of the day ? --
U doing fine !-- Like someone said growing is a long term thing !- U gonna mess up some-- Have U decided whether to do a continuous grow or one crop at a time ?-- One thing that might be true for all us -- U never seem to have enough room ! -- 10 mils of nutes per gallon of water ?- I use botanacare but I only use 3 mils per gallon in aero --

When you water them, do you get the medium good and wet? You should see some run off into a drip pan. People say like 20% run off but I have never measured. I let my plants sit in the run off for about 15 minutes then discard the run off. Get the medium good and wet then let them dry out again to the point where the top of the soil is dry down to about a knuckle deep. I agree with keef that you could see roots if you peel the peat cups off but that might stress them. The roots should grow thru the peat too. They don’t look awful just not happy.

Hmmm. I usually water til I see it run out the bottom. But just barely run out. and I immediately throw out the run off. You say I should create more run off and let them soak in it for a while? OK I can try that.

I am also hoping to transplant them into the regular soil too. I just do not trust the seed starter mix they are in right now. That's why i want to transplant them as soon as I can. So they get into the get soil mix I have.

On a good note they are starting to give off some good aromas. :)

LOL--why in the world would you "not trust the seed starter mix"????No offense, but that is just silly. Seed starter mix is simply an inert soil mix with no nutrients in it. Many many people use neutral soil aas cannabis is not like other plants. Oftentimes, if you use soil with nutrients already in them, they are not in the right proportions for cannabis anyway.

I believe that you may be watering them too much. Plants that are overwatered get that droopy look. Cannabis likes to go through wet and dry periods. In other words, your soil should feel dry down an inch or 2 before you water.

You need to be feeding your plants regularly now that they are getting older. Feeding should not be a haphazard affair. Read and follow the directions from the manufacturer. Start with about a 25% dosage and work up. Are you checking the pH of your water and nute solution? Correct pH is critical.

IDK, I guess I am just concerned that I used too much seed starter. I should have used those little start kits instead of these 6" pots. But I just did not know any better at the time.

I do like that I do not have to transplant at all. Wiuth these peat moss pots I can just plan t them pots and all into the soil mix. I might cut off the bottom just to help the out though.

I am not sure about the watering. I am PH balancing them to around 6.5. Every where I have read says the PH in soil should be a little higher than what is normal into hydro.

You really think they are over watered? When I was watering them every other day they wold get so dry that the soil would separate from the pots, leaving gaps. I think the low humidity in the tent is drying them out faster than normal. I cant get the humidity any higher than 50%. And that's with the humidifier running 24/7. I guess i am not doing a schedule so to speak. Just adding water when they seem dry.

If the soil is drying up so much that it separates from the pot, no, you are not overwatering. The plants just have that droopy look that can be caused by overwatering. Or if your pH is off. But 6.5 should be just fine.

Roots can really struggle to grow through those peat pots. If you plant those, cut slits on the sides of the pots , too.

I think you are worrying too much about humidity. I live in high desert and never have humidity over 50%, except sometimes in the greenhouse. Low humidity is definitely preferable to high humidity.

You're worrying too much about things that don't matter that much. The seed starter is fine soil and will be fine until the plants need to be transplanted. Just start feeding them. You wouldn't be any better off starting in starting cubes and then transplanting and then transplanting again.

OK Thanks HG. My first time doing this so I guess every little thing concerns me. I will try to take a chill pill. LOL

I did get the 2 gallon pots in today. I will make the transfer over this weekend. 2 of the plants are really starting to take off. The other 2 are lagging a bit, but still look fine.

One last thing. Here are a couple picts of the bowning and yellowing leaves I am seeing on the bottom. Any ideas? Should I be concerned?
Thanks all

BK-4
full

BK-2
full

How are you checking ph? Do you have a meter or is it with the drops of dye? The under curling and dark green veins are a little troublesome.

That can be an issue. I calibrate once a week on my meter.

OK, I ordered some more calibration powders. We'll see if that helps.

You gotta add CalMagPlus if you use RO water. Otherwise you'll get calcium deficiencies pretty quick. I think that's your low leaf spotting issue. Especially since you water to runoff. You're essentially flushing, but then you need to put something BACK for them to eat : )

Also, for the first couple feedings, I personally use bloom ferts so they don't get a crazy nitrogen rush right away.

Latest posts

Back