suck or push

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashplant420

Reaction score
hi should i use my 400 cfm to suck the hot air out or push it threw my aircooled hood any sugestions let me know im trying to cool a 1000 watter

pull air threw the cool tube and out grow area..good luck..

dayum i was hoping to push it but i am pulling it threw but those 1000 watters are hot

Do both with another fan and more hot air will be removed.

Or get a stronger fan.

:peace:

are you pulling fresh air from outside threw the tube? Im sure you are..

actually i am pullin the air from the the hood out side but i am pulling air from outside in to the room

you want the fan to be pulling cool air from outside the room through the hood. Your intake and exhaust should be completely independent.

so your saying i cant exhaust the room threw the hood that i should have 2 exhast basically..
one for the room and one for the light

What are your temperatures? What climate do you live in? Is your grow space inside an AC-ed house?

You're gonna get some differing opines on whether to push or pull. I was of the pull opinion for a while, but I'm back at pushing now. I think pushing expands your flex duct making it more efficient. I could be wrong--I'm just a stoner utilizing stoner logic.

hashplant420 said:
so your saying i cant exhaust the room threw the hood that i should have 2 exhast basically..

Yes. I am pretty sure that you are going to find that you will not be able to keep things cool enough if you try to exhaust the room through the hood. Like you said, those 1000W lights get hot. I have 3 fans in my space.

I have tried both ways and it really did not make that much of a difference. People would argue that if you "sucked" then you could suck the smell of the room through rivets and what not on your hood/tube BUT I never had that problem.

I have 2 rooms (tents) and each has a 1000k. really the only way that I can keep em' cool is with a A/C. Matter of fact my mom tent only has a A/C in it, and that is it :hubba: I can get that tent (GL120, 4'x4') down in the 60's if I wanted. My flower tent, I have a Vortex 6" pushing air through my hood, and A/C.

The main reason to pull air thru your hood is that if you push air thru, it's not the smell that is an issue, it is the extra heat that you will be "pushing" out of any small oriface that is in your light exhaust system. If you pull, then air gets pulled thru those areas and gets exhausted from the room.

hashplant420 said:

If you are cooling the bulb with 85 degree air from inside the room it will be hard to keep the temps below that. Now imagine cooling the bulb with 68 degree air from outside the room and you will start to understand why it is important to have you lamp cooling independent from your intake and exhaust.

I'm blooming in my closet (2 x 4 x 8). Using an HID light of any size is a challenge in this tight space but I've found what works for me. I use a Quantum 1K ballast with a dual arc HID in a 6" cool tube style reflector, I also have a 4 ft. - 6 tube T5 fixture for side fill lighting and for ventilation I have 6" semi rigid duct and an Eclipse 630cfm inline fan. I also have a 40 lb. can carbon filter mounted high in my closet and I have that before the lights in the ventilation chain. Even with the carbon filter placed before the cool tube reflector in the ventilation chain, this Eclipse fan up in my attic pulls plenty of heat off the lights and cool air into the closet through a passive intake (and the cracks in the door) to keep temps 2-4º above the ambient temps in the room the closet is in. I have a window A/C and as long as I keep it at 72º in the bedroom it stays a consistent 74º - 77º in my closet. In addition to the 6" fan and ducting being a big part of my solution, I think the cool tube style reflector has made a huge difference too. My reflector hood stays much cooler now that so much air is constantly pulling heat off my 1K. As long as you have a powerful enough fan you can pull enough cool air into the closet to feed your air cooled reflector but a cool tube will still be more efficient. I have the fan hung in the attic for noise abatement and it works great. I also exhaust my scrubbed air into the attic and I go up there to check for odor once a week and not even a hint of odor is up there...

The heart of the happy temps is for sure the A/C... If more fan noise hadn't been an issue I would have used another lower rated fan in my closet for the filter and I would have separated the exhaust system and fed it from another room but this setup works great and it does it all. It controls closet temps and I'm in week 6 and don't smell anything unless I stick my face in my plants or turn off the inline fan for a couple minutes. During the night cycle I use a dimmer and dial back my fan to about 25-30%... just enough to keep pulling air through the filter so odor never gets a chance to build up.

Cool Growing!:cool:

R00T BOUND said:
I have tried both ways and it really did not make that much of a difference. People would argue that if you "sucked" then you could suck the smell of the room through rivets and what not on your hood/tube BUT I never had that problem.

I have 2 rooms (tents) and each has a 1000k. really the only way that I can keep em' cool is with a A/C. Matter of fact my mom tent only has a A/C in it, and that is it :hubba: I can get that tent (GL120, 4'x4') down in the 60's if I wanted. My flower tent, I have a Vortex 6" pushing air through my hood, and A/C.

I love your setup... I was trying to imagine how to make a DIY setup for an attic bloom space at a friend's pad with a separate space for an A/C and what you have going sounds like a plan. I would just buy tents if the height wasn't limited up there so we're going to have to DIY it using a 1" PVC frame and Panda Film... it sounds like your setup works great.

Peace!:cool:

NorCalHal said:
The main reason to pull air thru your hood is that if you push air thru, it's not the smell that is an issue, it is the extra heat that you will be "pushing" out of any small oriface that is in your light exhaust system. If you pull, then air gets pulled thru those areas and gets exhausted from the room.

Learn something new every day, never even thought about that

dirtyolsouth said:
I love your setup... I was trying to imagine how to make a DIY setup for an attic bloom space at a friend's pad with a separate space for an A/C and what you have going sounds like a plan. I would just buy tents if the height wasn't limited up there so we're going to have to DIY it using a 1" PVC frame and Panda Film... it sounds like your setup works great.

There is much nicer setups then mine, but thanks :)

I would much rather have a room, ALL tents suck IMO(and I have the "best" ones, supposedly) , BUT in my current situation it is the best solution

Latest posts

Back