surge protectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzoboyle

Reaction score
hello, i was wondering what the importance is of using a surge protector for my ballasts. I just got a new 600 watt digital greenhouse ballast and it came with a sticker that said to please use a surge protector.

So i have two 600 watts and one 1000 watt all on one breaker. All seemed to be ok. but then i put all three of those lights on the same surge protector, and when they are just about fully powered up, the surge protector shuts off. So now im wondering if i need to be concerned for fire issues or anything? i just plugged all the lights back in to there own outlets and all seems to be running smooth again.

well obviously your surge protector is not rated for the amount of wattage ir amps that you are using you should have a surge protector for each one rather then putting main power to one surge protector then putting all that power to it

A 15 amp circuit can handle a maximum of 1800 watts.

:yeahthat:
There should be a tag near the plug of the surge protector that has the ratings listed. Extension cords as well if your using any. I only run about 50% of the cords/protectors rating just to be on the safe side.

:lama:

Thanks guys. I should of studied on this along time ago. It looks like I have about 2500 watts on one breaker. I'm not sure how many amps that particular breaker is. I guess I should rearange my plugs? And Im pretty sure I have a few surge protectors; so ill have each ballast plugged into its own one. What good is that doing I wonder rather than having them plugged straight in the wall?

It protects your equipment from any type of surge that might get fed into your power supply.

Ah ok that makes sense. So it protects against any sort of surge; making your equiptment last longer I'm guessing. And helps better prevent fires? How is an electrical fire usually caused?

Electrical fire are usually caused by putting too much on one circuit and/or timers, surge protectors, etc that are not rated for the amperage you are using and/or electrical cords that are not heavy enough gauge for the electrical device you are using. Basically putting too much of a load on anything electrical can cause overheating and a fire. It is important to know the amperage of the breaker you are using and not overload it. I have a 20 amp dedicated circuit that I use for a single closet.

Latest posts

Back