Temps in the winter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowrydergrower775

The Lowryder Guru
Reaction score
Yea i am just getting everything ready for the upcoming grow and there is just one thing that is kind of staying on my mind, has anybody been having trouble keeping the temps up in their grow room? I mean ever down here its getting pretty damn cold lol so maybe i will need to invest in a heater?

you grow in hydro or soil? in vegging period you could add more lights to keep i warm 24/24 and in flowering, if the winter is still too cold, you would need a heatsource, in hydro you could add a cheap res heater

I am in soil for right now, i will most likely have to go out and pick up a heater for them just in case and plus everything is auto flowering so the lights if they go off shouldn't be for long. It is just cold lol

What is cold?

Plants like the 60's

lately outside its been in the lower 30's but i think i am just going to have to set the hps up and see what the temps are like after running it for a while.

The temps in your grow room,:doh: not outside

well the thing is right now we don't have central heat in the house like we are working the whole house off this one heater and its big but it doesn't heat the whole house its in sixties right now but it can get colder.

I would get everything ready to grow and try it out before investing any money in items that are not needed:aok: Do a trail run, turn your light(s) on and see what the temp is.

appreciate it man i am going to set everything up and see how everything is looking and see what needs to be done if anything :)

Hey you could try a bag seed grow to test. If you can keep the heat of the plants in the 60s or better you should be ok. Might not be as nice as if it stayed warmer.70-78 seems to be what works best for me. temps should be above the 50s, been told growth really suffers in that range.

What pcduck says! I could of saved myself alot of money if I hadn't done things on the fly.

Thats said from what I gather if you can't hit the ideal temps your better off being on the slightly low/cold side of things. My plants suffered big time when the temps were up in the 90's for a week (light on) but they didn't mind it as much when (lighst off) temps dropped to 35f for a week, their still in the 45-50f range with lights off and they don't mind it all. Those are the only times i've not managed to keep them in the 'good range'.

Other thing to bear in mind is when you'll have your lights off during the 12/12. If their off during the night the temps will be VERY low but if you can have them off during the day (making sure of no light leaks) then that in itself will help keep the temps up. Oh and this is all assuming you'll be using HPS which generate enough heat to help with room temps while their on.

well my lights will hardly be off since everything i grow auto flowers but i am testing it right now and we will see how it goes i don't think it will end up being too much of a problem and all i use is hps lol :)

I have to run a small heater in my flowering room in the winter. We can get down to -20F however. IMO, everyone should have a remote thermometer for their flowering closet that keeps track of min and max temps.

goddess forget the plants lol i don't think id survive in -20F lolol:holysheep:

yeah I'd get one of those cheap water heater looking, hot oil heaters from Wal-mart or a flea market. They're only $30 or so brand new and you don't have worry about those hot coils burning your plants. Besides you never know when you need an extra space heater...

thanks everybody appreciate all the advice it seems to be ok without the heater for now running at right about 70 sometimes 68 but i think they should do just fine in there :)

Latest posts

Back